Is it supposed to be so difficult to get the IR missles to see and lock up a target from behind or am I doing somthing wrong? I am currently using the F4 with AIM-9D in the 1973 campaign, and it the missle usually does not lock up the bandit even if he is direcly in front of me with burners running. It sometimes take 10-20+ seconds to lock him up if it even locks up.

NB: I am not talking about wether or not the missle successfully intersepts. I am just talking about how to get it to see the target and lock it.

I have not used any of the newer jets yet so I have no comparision. I want to proceed in a timeline and not fly the new jets until I have won or played the earlier campaigns.

If you are behind a jet try moving your nose up or down (smoothly)- sometimes I have to pitch up a bit to get a lock.

There were some sound mods on here to change the lock tone to be a bit clearer also - that may come in handy for you.

Hi and welcome to the CA forums grant977!

As coolhand says, you may have to jink a little to get that all elusive lock and just be persistant. Don't become target fixated like me and end up going after someone too doggedly only to get blown out of the sky by not watching my six.

On a personal note (no pun intended) the IR tone in WoI is perfectly clear to me when I get lock on.

I think it depents sometimes in which angle the sidewinders are attached .. sometimes i neet to pull down the nose and on another bird to pull up alittle bit.

Is it supposed to be so difficult to get the IR missles to see and lock up a target from behind or am I doing somthing wrong? I am currently using the F4 with AIM-9D in the 1973 campaign, and it the missle usually does not lock up the bandit even if he is direcly in front of me with burners running. It sometimes take 10-20+ seconds to lock him up if it even locks up.

NB: I am not talking about wether or not the missle successfully intersepts. I am just talking about how to get it to see the target and lock it.

I have not used any of the newer jets yet so I have no comparision. I want to proceed in a timeline and not fly the new jets until I have won or played the earlier campaigns.

Maybe this explane some aspects from your problem. Take a look on note nm 2 in second TKs post: http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...sc&start=64