Sign in to follow this  
Guest pfunkmusik

Attn: SFP1 Modding Community: New Campaign In Progress

Guest pfunkmusik

As I've stated before, I have undertaken an endeavor to understand the mind of a modder, having been chastised for being less than kind to those to do such things. If anyone feels that I have denigrated those who modify games in my review of Wings Over Israel, it certainly wasn't my intention. What I meant to convey is that I prefer a good, out-of-the-box experience as opposed to something I have to 'fix' in order to get it to do what I want it to.

For some, this is not just their hobby, this is their passion, and if I was less than gracious to the sensibilites of those who do this 'for the love of the game', then I offer my sincere and heartfelt apologies. I also endeavored to understand how all this works and set out to create a simple project and stretch my wings, so to speak. If I don't understand something, I want to, because I value not looking ignorant.

I feel the only way to understand something is to learn about it and as a science teacher in the classroom, the very best way I know to learn about something is to do it.

So, I have been working on a modern campaign in what I still consider to be the pinnacle of the ThirdWire series, Wings Over Europe. It also seems to be the most forgiving and tolerant of my mistakes.

I have been working for the past week, gathering different objects, terrains, and such and trying to assemble them all into one, simple package with a one-click installer. This is a freshman effort, so don't expect a wild success, but hopefully you won't see it completely crash and burn, either. I am using as my framework the 1979 Red Lightning Campaign packed in the retail version of Wings Over Europe, keeping things as simple as possible.

I have compiled a list of everything I have downloaded so far and placed the names of their creators next to it. What I am asking for is your permission to compile this into one large, easy-to-install package. You will be properly credited and profusely thanked in the README for your work, I have no intention of claiming it as my own.

If successful, it will be made available at SimHQ as freeware, not payware, I will receive ZERO compensation for any time put into it. I hope to have it completely done by this summer, possibly June or July. As I am a teacher, I will have the summer off to work on it.

I look forward to working with those involved to produce something new for the community.

pfunk

EF2000 Typhoon – craigbrierley

Tu-22K – howling1

UCAV Package – Fast Cargo

Tu-16C – USAFMTL

Tu-16G – USAFMTL

Tornado Package – AD, Sundowner

Tornado ECR – AD, Sundowner

SU-27 – Marcfighters

SU-22M4 – Gepard

MiG-29C – Wpnssgt, Column5

MiG-29A – Wpnssgt, Column5

MiG-25PD – Tomcat74, Wpnssgt, Column5

MiG-23MLD – Column5, Pasko, Rafael, BPAo

MiG-23MK – Gepard

MiG-27K – Gepard

Jaguar – BPAo, Sony Tuckson, Column5, JSF_Aggie,

JAS39C - USAFMTL

FA-18A – USAFMTL, Column5, BPAo, Flying Toaster, Kesselbrut

F-22Ablk20 – The Raptor Team

F-16CB50/B52 – USAFMTL

F-15C – Flying Toaster, Fubar512, USAFMTL, Wpnssgt

F-15E – Flying Toaster, Wpnssgt, Fubar512, FastCargo, Moonjumper, Kesselbrut, Deuces

F-14A – Column5, BPAo

F-4FICE – USAFMTL, Column5, Striker01

Weapons Pack - Bunyap

Effects Pack – CA_Stary

Russian SAMS – gabilion

VF201 Skin – paul.nortness

F-16CBlk50 9th AF Skin – magua

Admiral Gorshkov – X RAY

Enhanced Hi-Res Tiles – max188

US Armor Pack - pasko, Gerald14

Edited by pfunkmusik

If successful, it will be made available at SimHQ as freeware, not payware, I will receive ZERO compensation for any time put into it. I hope to have it completely done by this summer, possibly June or July. As I am a teacher, I will have the summer off to work on it.

Not to burst anyone's enthusiasm but why would you take all the work from here and publish it there? Little strange isn't it?

Guest pfunkmusik
Not to burst anyone's enthusiasm but why would you take all the work from here and publish it there? Little strange isn't it?

Simple answer, I work there.

pfunk

Well that only raises only a thousand more questions, but I digress. As a gesture of good will it would be nice to see a collaboration, properly credited of course, and released on both sites. Sounds pretty fair if you ask me. :)

Well that only raises only a thousand more questions, but I digress. As a gesture of good will it would be nice to see a collaboration, properly credited of course, and released on both sites. Sounds pretty fair if you ask me. :)

I concur, released here and at SimHq would be the best solution.

Guest pfunkmusik
I concur, released here and at SimHq would be the best solution.

Agreed upon release date for both sites? Works for me.

I didn't know if you guys would want to host something that's liable to be this large.

pfunk

I fear no file, we can handle it's entire distribution if it came to that.

Guest pfunkmusik
Agreed upon release date for both sites? Works for me.

I didn't know if you guys would want to host something that's liable to be this large.

pfunk

Next thing, who would I mail the file to? It'll have to be snail mail, because I'm sure you'll want to do a full QA workup and this one's liable to be big. I may have to drop the Typhoon from the lineup for size limits.

I live in rural Texas and while I have broadband, the bandwidth I enjoy (or swear at, by turns) isn't going to be up to snuff for an online file transfer of something this immense.

pfunk

We laugh at your file size....do your worst...... MUAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHHAHHAHAHHA

Seriously, do like we did OTC, put it in small bites...

Really doesn't matter, when you have a release date just give yourself enough time to either snail mail it or transfer it and we'll work something out. There's plenty of possibilities and I'm sure we can make your involvement as comfortable as possible. Dave hide the single bright light and iron chair bolted to the ground. Ed make sure the water board stuff you used last week is put away too. Harold you're in charge of party favors. Good luck and happy modding. Oh yeah if you're going for a single executable you may want to look into cab files for compression.

Guest pfunkmusik
We laugh at your file size....do your worst...... MUAHAHHAHAHAH AHAHHAHHAHAHHA

Seriously, do like we did OTC, put it in small bites...

Do you have any suggestions regarding reliable and affordable installer programs? Is SourceForge any good?

pfunk

Do you have any suggestions regarding reliable and affordable installer programs? Is SourceForge any good?

pfunk

Talk to BPAO at the Mirage Factory and see what he uses.

Harold you're in charge of party favors.

No clowns SIR! :biggrin:

Guest pfunkmusik
Talk to BPAO at the Mirage Factory and see what he uses.

Will do.

pfunk

I like the sounds of this, as I've cobbled in the odd more modern aircraft to a campaign.

Would love to see the Raptor there as well as the freshly released Typhoon. Impressive list which looks like it will be a hoot and a half.

Looking forward to you class project PFunk...

Guest pfunkmusik
I like the sounds of this, as I've cobbled in the odd more modern aircraft to a campaign.

Would love to see the Raptor there as well as the freshly released Typhoon. Impressive list which looks like it will be a hoot and a half.

Looking forward to you class project PFunk...

Don't expect fireworks, Spec. It's my first effort.

pfunk

Well I prefer using my copy of Visual Studio it has an installer built in (VSI). I believe there are free copies of VSI avaiable from MicroSoft and last I remember it was available on the net as well. I've also used InstallShield before which isn't that bad. What I'm not sure about is the usefulness of either given the type of data, where it's being exported to, if any registry entries need to be updated etc (read either might be overkill). I'd rely on those that actually have done releases of this type and magnitude (read: what's easiest for the enduser) before I rely on my knowledge of application deployment. SourceForge is a great resource if they have what you need or you're able to find someone in the community with the knowledge they can impart on you.

Personally I like Install Creator Pro. It has a nice wizard, if you need it, and it has all sorts of other possibilities, like security codes, and such. It was really not that much money to buy, but there is a freeware version too. The freeware just puts an add at the end of the install process, that advertises clickteam, I am sure you have something made with this installer in your arsenal, especially if you have downloaded my T-6 Texan mod/paint

Guest pfunkmusik

OK, WinZip choked the 2.67GB folder into a much more manageable 515MB.

Right now, I'm using SourceForge/NSIS and I'm hoping it can crank it down even further.

pfunk

OK, WinZip choked the 2.67GB folder into a much more manageable 515MB.

Right now, I'm using SourceForge/NSIS and I'm hoping it can crank it down even further.

pfunk

pfunk, really looking forward to this. It is going to turn out fine!