Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

ABout the WOI patch...

...Is anyone else having problems with the key bindings not sticking? I'm trying to remap the toggle engines/rear view, but even after clicking 'accept', nothing seems to happen and they're returned to being unassigned. I'm thinking that it may have something to do with my copying over the older controls config file...

weird, mine is running fine ....

did you try reboot you pc?

.... I'm thinking that it may have something to do with my copying over the older controls config file...

exactly...

use the new default.ini and customize it, that wil lfix it.

Old control inis wont work due to the two new entries, rear view and engine toggle.

As with every round of patching, all the user setting are erased.

You'll have to reassign your controler's buttons, and double check your sound and graphics settings as well

Also, any campaign you're in the middle of, will be deleted (ie: saved campaigns)

Hence the need for a clean, unmodded install. Provided you have the HD space. Then, after patching the clean one, just move the cats, dlls and etc to the modded installs.

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, or anyone else, could you write a little more about what files you move to the modded installs?

I understand the importance of a clean install for patching, but when I think about my heavily modded campaigns or theater installs I almost want to pass out from thinking about trying to reinstall Operation Final Dawn, for example, from scratch.

There's got to be an easier way than reinstalling everything(a/c, ships, weapons, etc.) from the beginning. Maybe I'm making it harder than it is.

Fortunately I held off on putting very many add-on in WOI, in anticipation of the patch. But when I think of WOE/WOV/SFP1, and a new patch I'm kinda dreading possibly having to start over with some mods.

Any help, tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Actually, most of the time, adding mods to a 'clean install' is fairly easy.

The reason is the majority (not all) of the files the 'core' game needs are in dlls or the CAT files.

For instance, if you have a weapons pack, your weapons should move right over.

Certain things won't work like that (controls, a few other inis).

I found for instance, when I moved my WOE install over to WOI, that most everything worked right out of the box (once the new weps editor came out).

Only certain things (cockpits for what were formerly 'stock' aircraft, bmps for same, etc) did I find didn't work. Most 3rd party stuff was full up...especially if for terrains you copied the terrain.CAT files you needed from your other installs over.

FastCargo

Are there some restricitions for menu mods, 'cause after installing the patch (on a clean install) i transfered over a menu mod that was working with WOI before the patch, and now it's giving me some difficulties. Specifically when I click on Single Player, I get a black screen. Then it CTDs when I hit escape.

Note to self: get together with Brainless and start revamping the revamp of the Knowledge Base.

Wow, it took me nearly 7 minutes to find this post. It got combined with another. If it takes ME that long, and I know where everything is ...

ok, sorry...of track...

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...st&p=135953

The important stuff is from USAFMTL, froma coupla years ago. I"ll post it here:

Although designed for SF/WoV/WoE, it works the same. Just substitute "WoI" for whatever game it mentions :biggrin:

12. Installing Patches over already modded installs

IMPORTANT: This is done entirely at your own risk and is only recommended for advanced users - because there is no guarantee that everything will work after you have carried this out.

Procedure 1:

(Author: USAFMTL)

You want to patch and not worry about add ons? Do this.

1. Make a fresh/new/vanilla install of WOE/SF/WOV. Yes you can have more than one install.

2. Patch it {with Direct X if need be yada yada yada}

3. Copy the .DLL and .CAT files ONLY to your add on (modded) version of SF/WOV/WOE. Example there is a folder called SYSTEM, copy the contents of that folder to your add on (modded) install. Then look at the FLIGHT folder, MENU folder etc and do the same.

4. Make sure you copy over the new terrain files to your add on install. I.e. GermanyCE etc.

5. In the install of your SF/WOV/WOE you will see the exe’s, a few .dll's an options.ini and other loose files. You will need those also copied to your add on install as well. {you will have to reset your graphic and gameplay settings but that take a minute}

DO NOT copy your CONTROLS folder over if you have it set up for your joystick or you will have to reset your stick.

Finally burn a copy of the vanilla install for future patching. New patch, drag and drop burned install to your desktop or directory of choice, patch it, follow the above procedures.

This is the procedure I've been using, and it works.

WRench

kevin stein

Note to self: get together with Brainless and start revamping the revamp of the Knowledge Base.

Wow, it took me nearly 7 minutes to find this post. It got combined with another. If it takes ME that long, and I know where everything is ...

ok, sorry...of track...

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...st&p=135953

The important stuff is from USAFMTL, froma coupla years ago. I"ll post it here:

Although designed for SF/WoV/WoE, it works the same. Just substitute "WoI" for whatever game it mentions :biggrin:

This is the procedure I've been using, and it works.

WRench

kevin stein

This worked like a charm! Woot! to Wrench for finding things that don't want to be found.

That's good to know Wrench, cheers for the links. No, I thought I could get away with adding the new entries to the old controls config file. Doesn't look like you can... Damn! :no: