Sign in to follow this  
Dave

XB-36 Tire

This is what the original tires on the XB-36 looked like, using my twins for scale.

If you google map Castle AFB, Atwater, CA they have a B-36 on display. Look at the B-52 in comparison for scale :blink: My grandfather was a flight engineer on the B-36. I think I am going to drive down to the museum this saturday (after my nieces birthday in Stockton) and check it out. I'll post some pics if I make it.

Cool photo hehe this is huge O.o i never saw a wheel like this one

Is that in Dayton, Ohio?

Yes, the USAF Museum is 4 miles from my house....

I want to visit the museum. Thinking about talking my brother in to a flight. We could also go see the Football hall of fame (for him).

wasnt it the largest wheel ever for an aircraft...think there were only three runways in the US that could handle the load factor back then...

they wisely decided on a multi-bogie system instead

but a cool pciture of a time unfortunately long gone

cheers

If the wheel's that big, it follows that the plane must be... damn.

Didn't they put a nuclear reactor on one of those things?

They did...it did not power the airplane however, only for testing the theory...the power was still delivered by the 6 + 4...

If the wheel's that big, it follows that the plane must be... damn.

Didn't they put a nuclear reactor on one of those things?

They did...it did not power the airplane however, only for testing the theory...the power was still delivered by the 6 + 4...

Oooooh, okay.

Up until a few years ago, they had the cargo version of the B-36 (the XC-99) sitting rusting at Kelly AFB. They've only recently started moving parts of it up to WPAFB for restoration and eventual display. That thing was even bigger than the B-36.

Hey Hawker, if you decide to go to Castle AFB, make sure you get pictures of the A-9. Only 2 built.

FastCargo