Sign in to follow this  
Guest pfunkmusik

Operation: REFORGER II Notes

Guest pfunkmusik

Wow.

This is a fun journey, but let me tell you something, my wife has given me hell...

"You're working on that damn thing AGAIN?!"

Let me explain. Operation: REFORGER II is a freshman effort on my part to learn about the interesting world of modding. It's a simple campaign that I was inspired to do by folks like Vince H and Johan217. It's a simple rewrite of the 1979 Red Lightning Campaign, but with newer aircraft.

The flyable aircraft list is long and distinguished. I have no plans yet to make a Russian flyable campaign, but it might be an interesting follow-up project...

Last week, I spent most of the time collecting the objects and items I figured I needed. I was little disappointed that no one's deigned to make newer Russian strategic and tactical attack aircraft, but I shouldn't kvetch. I don't know how to make one, so I shouldn't pee all over those who do.

I also realized how much time this will take if you want all the details to be just right and still balance a paying job and a family. I've worked pretty hard on it, but there's still so much do it to personalize it and make it different, something more than just a rewrite of something that's already been done.

The planeset was officially completed with the release of craigbierley's EF-2000. A sizable number of aircraft will be included and let me tell you, that's a headache. Between add-on aircraft whose engines made no noise (Where the hell is that file in the Sounds folder? It's supposed to be there!) aircraft who had no weapons in the loadout...ever...it was a pain the in the butt.

Single Missions has been crucial for determining what aircraft should have what loadouts. It becomes a great 'quick test' to make sure hours of work don't dissolve like the four Alka-Seltzer tablets I took to get over the heartburn of getting all this stuff to work.

The nationality of the pylons is a trick. I got a question. Why do people use the Warsaw Pact designation on pylons? It seems to mess a lot of things up and simply going with the SOVIET designation solves a lot of problems, even if it limits what I can and can't get the aircraft to do. OK, so it's not so realistic, and it's not historically accurate, so you can resume throwing rocks at me while I mow my lawn.

Another thing that won't be entirely accurate is seeing Harrier GR3's in the campaign. I really like this aircraft and I still want to see it in play.

Loadouts...wow...what can you say about them? They're a trip to work with. First off, when you use Bunyap's Weapons Pack, every last one of the Soviet aircraft's .ini file needs to be changed to the reflect the R-designation of each missile. Like practicing bleeding.

More information as the sitation develops.

pfunk

Pfunk,

If you want to look at an example I did...here ya go:

It's a campaign I did similar to yours, but set in 1993. I added carriers as well.

One of the things I did was instead of doing too much cut and pasting, I built separate text files for the different services, then integrated them together.

Also, I came up with different 'stories' for the campaign...

Worked pretty well in fact.

Anyway, check it out as an example.

FastCargo

@FC

>Snag!<

Sounds like my kinda campaign.

You have dedication PFunk, I had always meant to make those changes to the Sov weapons, but just never got around to it.

Probably use your labors for laterz, thanks for that at the very least! :biggrin:

Warsaw Pac (WP) was used to make specific countries aircraft. It was something we had thought of 2 years ago when we did Buny's Wep pack. Now if you want to avoid that then use the Mirage Factories weps packs.

Pfunk,

If you want to look at an example I did...here ya go:

It's a campaign I did similar to yours, but set in 1993. I added carriers as well.

FastCargo

as spectre said -

(snag) oh yea......!!!!

I had done some similar mods to some other campaigns, but this sounds real interesting for a WOE effort!!!

:biggrin:

have to check this out in my I/E install.....

Edited by Typhoid

Well I make no claims as to accuracy of loadouts and which carriers had which squadrons and the Red Air OOB.

Having said that, I tried to be close...make it fun while feeling realistic.

FastCargo

Guest pfunkmusik
Well I make no claims as to accuracy of loadouts and which carriers had which squadrons and the Red Air OOB.

Having said that, I tried to be close...make it fun while feeling realistic.

FastCargo

You guys have no idea how much I appreciate the help.

Thanks, I really mean it.

pfunk

Guest 531_Ghost

I love it when a plan comes together :dirol: