Sign in to follow this  
Basher11

How do I lock up a ground target so that I can drop a LGB

It is easy: you can not drop LGBs if your aircraft is not equiped with laser designator. So, if that Hornet has not got onboard laser designator, you can load LGBs probably, but you can not drop them. You need carry laser designtor pod on Hornets weaponstation to drop LGBs.

And you can drop LGBs just on targets which you can visualy lock with "E" key. You can see designed target on radar screen usually. And designed target is "lock" on your HUD usually too.

Edited by kukulino

I have downloaded this aircraft http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=2887. And loaded it with a coupld of LGBs. How do I do the targetting and lock up the groud target before I drop the bomb. Is runway or buildings targettable and lockable?
If you are on a strike mission and your plane can carry the pave tack targeting pod you can target the ground object by selecting the LGB the screen should pop on and you should be able to see the target at about 5miles or so at about 5 to 8ooo ft then just hit the release button.

I have downloaded this aircraft http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=2887. And loaded it with a coupld of LGBs. How do I do the targetting and lock up the groud target before I drop the bomb. Is runway or buildings targettable and lockable?

I really suggest you read the manual.

Where do I start... Ok. If you have an aircraft that is not capable of carrying a laser designator, but can use LGB's, (such as A-10) you can only use the LGB's if you're attacking the primary target on a strike mission (the target is being lazed by "special forces").

If you are flying an aircraft capable of carrying a designator pod (Pave tack, lantirn, litening) you can target anything you can visually target with the 'E' key. The designator is automatically slewed to your visual target.

In either of the above scenarios, you just have to get your plane close to the approprate release point (I ususlly go for about 30 degrees tragectory, but it depends on speed and altitude) and pickle.

If you have a plane with a TV ready MFD built into the avionics and you're carryng a targeting pod, you'll be able to see what you're targeting in the TV. Otherwise, you won't be able to see it, but that doesn't really matter.

But seriously, read the manual it's all in there.

Edited by malibu43

So planes without a MFD for targeting but still hit the target, is that what happends in the real world?

So planes without a MFD for targeting but still hit the target, is that what happends in the real world?

Yes, that's what happens in the real world. Show me the MFD's on an F-4, or an A-4, during the early 1970s, when they were capable of dropping early LGBs (BOLT-117-GBU-1/B, GBU-10). The Thanh Hoa (Dragon's Jaw) bridge was dropped on May 13, 1972, using LGBs dropped from F-4s, and again in October of that same year, with LGBs dropped from A-4s.

Of course, back then, they relied on having another aircraft lase the target for them.