Sign in to follow this  
Basher11

3DSMax 2008 - How to view .LOD files?

I used 3DSMax in my office trying to open some of the .LOD files to get a feel how to create 3D models for the game but I don't know which menu/commands to open .LOD files. Can anyone give me some pointers?

You can convert 3d max files to LODs but not the other way round. Although AFAIK some minor alterations to LODs can be made with a hex editor.

YOu mean I cannot view the .LOD files of the game using 3DSMax? The reason I want to do that is because I want to learn how to create 3D Model using 3DSMax

Edited by Basher11

that's correct. you cannot view LOD files in max.

There are quite a few tutorials out there, even on uTube...a word of experience though...the model is only about 10% of the process...not saying its the "easy part" because it is not...but is very frustrating work...work...and more work

YOu mean I cannot view the .LOD files of the game using 3DSMax? The reason I want to do that is because I want to learn how to create 3D Model using 3DSMax

Well, you can make a model an make it fly in game following LOD exporter notes... but laying out mapping for textures and creating an FM is a much more complicated task.

Well, you can make a model an make it fly in game following LOD exporter notes... but laying out mapping for textures and creating an FM is a much more complicated task.

NoNoNoNoNo....What exactly I want to do is to modify some of the existing model Bigals has done a SCUD launcher and Missile. I want to do what he has done myself too...

I thought he said clearly that he made both the missile and the launcher from scratch.

I thought he said clearly that he made both the missile and the launcher from scratch.

Yes I know. One question : Say someone is going to start from scratch, create a F-16. How does he know that his model is in the correct ratio to the real jet?

there is a tutorial by Mustang that details very well how to get the drawings into 3ds and to scale...it is in this forum, download section...indispensable

And if it is just a little bit off, is it really that noticable to disrupt your enjoyment?

Thank you all for your links and support. Yeah...regarding the texture and skin, how the hexk do you guys do it? I mean when I check the .BMP fle, it's all contained inside a rectangular 2D can I name it as a "map". How the pogram wrap the 3D model with this 2D squared .BMP file which at the end of the day, turns out to be a perfectly renedered skin? I really don't know how to figure it out.

There are units of measurement in 3dmax.

Get archive with plugin for 3dmax 6-8 http://www.thirdwire.com/downloads_tools.htm It comes with readme file on how to set things up.

Mine 3D Studio Max here is 3D Studio Max 2008, which one should i get I mean

3D Studio Max (R9) Exporter Plug-in v12.12.06 (46.6 KB) OR

3D Studio Max (R6/7/8) Exporter Plug-in v08.25.06 (153 KB)?

dude, that process is called uv unwraping and texturing. it really looks you need to go through the basics first. i suggest you skim over a couple of tutorials that came with max (check out max help), or dip into the abundant sea of knowledge on the web. i believe max has the widest community out there of all the 3d apps.

good luck

Kesegy is correct.

You REALLY need to start at the beginning and do a few tutorials that are out there for 3ds MAX.

Then look at some of Mustang's videos (located here at CA) that give you basic ideas...including learning about texture mapping.

Then start with small objects...weapons maybe. Then you can work up to bigger items.

And there is no way at present to reverse engineer LOD files. With aircraft files, you can do some ini tweaks and 3dsmax additions to tweak.

FastCargo