Sign in to follow this  
Guest pfunkmusik

Operation: REFORGER II Update 4/12

Guest pfunkmusik

Thank God for existing campaign structures.

This has been such an enormous learning experience so far. Generating a planeset turned out to be the easy part. Writing up description .txt files is simple.

Working with ground objects and getting them to engage each other in offensives...is not.

One of the things I have learned to love about the Strike Fighters engine is that once you add a target into the XXXX_target.ini, when you pull up the planning map in Kreelin's Mission Editor to check it's placement, you can see it, right there...

...or, maybe not.

Hundreds of variables to adjust, each one's another way to get a CTD.

I'm using the existing Red Lightning campaign as my primary structure right now and I've learned quite a bit as to how the proximities of cities work together to scramble missions, prioritize strike packages, but fully wrapping your head around the variables with strategic nodes and the ground units they deploy is TOUGH. This is meant to be a learning experience so that later I can take other terrains and planesets and make my own.

So far, using the stock campaigndata.ini has helped. Everything's already working, so why fix something that obviously works to begin. I can always take it and make it stop functioning later on at my leisure.

Kreelin, if you're out there, your mission editor is a godsend and a work of sheer genius. If you haven't got this thing, you must because this simply is the way to go.

At this time, I can't find a download for a Leopard 2, so the Germans and British ground forces will still use the stock 1A. Seems to work fine, anyway, even if not completely realistic.

Next question, can you model an amphibious landing in this thing? Whoa. Too much, too much...

pfunk

Yeah setting up nodes and targets and stuff is tough... especially keeping it balanced for both sides within the frontlines.

As for amphibious assault, I've done it before in single missions, but as far as campaigns go, its either totally sea (ships acting as tanks) or totally land (tanks on land). You could just make a mission for fun that could be a prelude to the campaign... would be an interesting opener. :yes:

For amphibious landings:

Have the ground unit start at a strategic node in the sea and connect it to a strategic node on the shore. When the offensive starts, the unit will move from the sea to the shore. I suppose it looks a bit silly unless you use amphibious vehicles :-)

Hey P question for you? I think I missed it, what year are you setting this in?

Guest pfunkmusik
Hey P question for you? I think I missed it, what year are you setting this in?

REFORGER is in 1998. Kinda had to fiddle with the F-22's availability year just a bit, but that was the only one. Everything else seems to be dead-on.

pfunk

REFORGER is in 1998. Kinda had to fiddle with the F-22's availability year just a bit, but that was the only one. Everything else seems to be dead-on.

pfunk

The F-22 wasnt even operational in 1998. It still in testing. (in fact it was having big issues in 1998) I would bump up the year up on your campaign. It wil make your life a hell of alot easier. 2005 would be perfect as you get more realistic operational dates of these aircraft. 1998 would be good to a precursor to the Bosinian campaign for example. There you get the last oprational use of F-8's and F-104S's.

Guest pfunkmusik
The F-22 wasnt even operational in 1998. It still in testing. (in fact it was having big issues in 1998) I would bump up the year up on your campaign. It wil make your life a hell of alot easier. 2005 would be perfect as you get more realistic operational dates of these aircraft. 1998 would be good to a precursor to the Bosinian campaign for example. There you get the last oprational use of F-8's and F-104S's.

You're probably right. What I may have to do is get rid of one of the older aircraft on the Russian side and replace it with something a little newer. It'd be nice to have that Frogfoot, but, wish in one hand...

This is practice. My goal is to create my own theatres. I'm trying to soak up as much stuff as possible from gepard, but I just can't seem to get the Terrain editor to do what I want it to. The AutoTexture thing crashes every time I breathe on it.

What files do I need to have in place and where do I need them in order to get that thing to work and work right?

pfunk

You're probably right. What I may have to do is get rid of one of the older aircraft on the Russian side and replace it with something a little newer. It'd be nice to have that Frogfoot, but, wish in one hand...

This is practice. My goal is to create my own theatres. I'm trying to soak up as much stuff as possible from gepard, but I just can't seem to get the Terrain editor to do what I want it to. The AutoTexture thing crashes every time I breathe on it.

What files do I need to have in place and where do I need them in order to get that thing to work and work right?

pfunk

Well P, I think I can do you one better than the Frogfoot. Can you PM for details?

squished_bugs_small.gif

Guest pfunkmusik

This is so pissing me off... :black eye:

I cannot add an airbase to the Libyan Terrain so I offically give up and vow to only work with existing terrain and airbases.

This is a lot harder than it should be. I'll dedicate a little more time and effort to the creative writing side.

pfunk

Don't give up the ship! Set it aside for a couple of days then come back later. You'd be surprised how the mistakes you couldn't find last week will pop out this week.