Sign in to follow this  
Basher11

Firing missiles in Salvo mode

I downloaded one of the MiG-29 add-ons. What is the INI file tweak so that I can fore 2 Air-2-Air missiles in salvo mode? And any equivalent ot dropping FAB dumb bombs in salvo mode?

Missiles can only be launched one at a time. Check your key settings to change bomb salvo increments. :)

Missiles can only be launched one at a time. Check your key settings to change bomb salvo increments. :)

I wish TK would give us Salvo Missile mode. About bombs, is it only available in WoE or later?

READ TFM!!

Hint: Bomb ripple setting and ripple invervall setting

Nuff said!

S!

As stated above, there is no salvo mode for AAMs. Fire one missile, keep the target locked, and follow it up with another.

I often employ this method, with good results: Lock up a target on radar, launch a SAHM or AHM at it, and then, follow it up with an all-aspect IRM. The key is maintaing radar lock at all times (at least for the SAHM's sake).

Why would you want to salvo missiles anyway?

Unless you are using unlimited weapons, as the finite number precludes rippling them off unless you use them like rockets.

In that case use, well, rockets, as you won't have any kind of guidance, save for the 1st locked one anyway.

___EDIT___

After seeing some of the more recent screen shots, I guess I see why.

It must be something done routinely in the ACX series.

Thankfully, this is not a console arcade game. Sim lite, yes, arcade blaster, not so much...

Edited by Spectre_USA

Top end question Basher, but not possible now. I always expressed hope that TK would add dual missile salvo for AI as well as Player, one infrared missile followed by a radar controlled missile of some type.

Specter::

Why would you want to salvo missiles anyway?

Same reasons why ADC (Ussian Air Defense Command) and IAPVO (Russian manned strategic Air Defense) did it.

Top end question Basher, but not possible now. I always expressed hope that TK would add dual missile salvo for AI as well as Player, one infrared missile followed by a radar controlled missile of some type.

Spectre::

Same reasons why ADC (Ussian Air Defense Command) and IAPVO (Russian manned strategic Air Defense) did it.

Sure, ground based, but if you have to lug them into the air...

:dntknw:

Lexx,

I believe that you have the firing order backwards....

AFAIK, Soviet doctrine was to fire one radar missile first, and then an IRM, so as to have the IRM follow the radar missile's heat signature (assuming the intended target was beyond the IRM seeker head's detection range, to begin with). This way (at least in theory), the radar missile would be guided to the target by the launch platform, and if that missile happened to be spoofed by the target's ECM, the IRM would by that time be close enough to acquire the primary target's exhaust signature. In which case, it would stand a fair chance of following it home and achieving a kill.

Sounds interesting, then the radar missile plume goes dark, leaving the target's heat for the IR missile which may be close enough to the target now.

But if I recall, the PVO's theory was the same as ADC's ... you fire the infrared missile first, so it does not just follow another missile's exhaust just in front. These things were launched within a second or two of each other, very close, so infrared must be in front...or so my understanding goes....or went until now. This assumes the target is within range of both types of missiles, and tail chase for IR missiles that could not handle head on (R-8MT for example).

Well, Crusader agrees with you, I just seem to remember reading about that in Belyenko's book (MiG Pilot), some years ago.

Lexx,

I believe that you have the firing order backwards....

AFAIK, Soviet doctrine was to fire one radar missile first, and then an IRM, so as to have the IRM follow the radar missile's heat signature (assuming the intended target was beyond the IRM seeker head's detection range, to begin with). This way (at least in theory), the radar missile would be guided to the target by the launch platform, and if that missile happened to be spoofed by the target's ECM, the IRM would by that time be close enough to acquire the primary target's exhaust signature. In which case, it would stand a fair chance of following it home and achieving a kill.

Jesus Christ! That would be God damn deadly! That would assume the IRM travels slower than the radar guided missile I suppose.