Hello all.

I download the Lybia Terrain and start building some missions, but I see a strange behaviors with the airfields.

First, some runways are covered and uncovered by the sands while the planes run for take-off. Aside the fact that it could be caused by heavy winds, someone know how can I fix this?

The second problem is the planes, all and every plane not one or other, are jumping and bouncing when on taxiway. When they finally enter to the runway, usually they stop on a strange position, nose up like a rocket or anything like that, and then start to run to take-off in that way. Again, someone know the answer to fix it? This behavior only happens with the Lybian terrain. On all other terrains the planes works fine.

Sorry if already was topics about this issue, but I couldn't find any info about it. So, if someone could give a hint, I appreciate.

Cheers

Edited by Roberto Skylord

check the .CAT file....

----------------------------------

vc viu o CAT que tá no lybia.ini?

check the .CAT file....

----------------------------------

vc viu o CAT que tá no lybia.ini?

The .CAT is VietnamSEA.cat. The Lybian terrain is the 1.4 version.

wich game are you using? O.o

WOV?

if not try to put the vientnam sea terrain in terrain folder

wich game are you using? O.o

WOV?

if not try to put the vientnam sea terrain in terrain folder

I'm using a Merged installation of WOE.

:/

could be any runaway texture miss....:/

try to d/l again the runaway mod

Did you check which [terrainname].cat the Libya.ini points to?

Even the terrains that come with all tiles and stuff need an existing terrain.cat to work properly...and they often point towards SFP1's desert.cat, which they need for the airfield.ini files. These files do exist in the terrain.cat files of WOV/WOE, but as long as Libya.ini doesn't point to them you will have problems with the airfields.

Edited by Gocad

Ver 1.4 ... that's FLHausser's tweek to my 1.2/1.3 versions? There should have been a readme file along with. I know I, as per usual, wrote a highly detailed, step-by-step one.

Should have all your answers in there. Also, try pointing it to the GermanyCE.cat, and see what happens. And make sure you have a full/proper tile set installed.

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest pfunkmusik
Ver 1.4 ... that's FLHausser's tweek to my 1.2/1.3 versions? There should have been a readme file along with. I know I, as per usual, wrote a highly detailed, step-by-step one.

Should have all your answers in there. Also, try pointing it to the GermanyCE.cat, and see what happens. And make sure you have a full/proper tile set installed.

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench, I think there's something that's just off. Most of the Libyan airbases are covered in sand, but the two US bases are fine. I've tried it in WOE and in SFP1. I can redirect the .cat file and I can take off and land from the two US bases just fine.

Try to take off from a Libyan base and it's time for a sand rail. Can anyone maybe put a little wrench time into it and see why this is? I've tried for the better part of a week and it simply refuses to cooperate.

pfunk

PF: send me your targets and types inis. I'll see what I can do. I know that FLHausser's was "supposed" to have put ex-Wheelus in it's proper position, near the coast at Tripiloi. My versions worked fine (mind you, they were just tweeks of the targets and types inis, never tuched airfields at that early point)

Are you using mine or his???

Odd thing, I didn't get his version. Perhaps I should...he said he'd fixed the anti-shiping routes , so they're not in the middle of the desert anymore!

When you're using the TE, do you have a copy of the terrain's folder IN the TE's folder??? (plus the 'playable' copy in your game install). Don't work the TE from inside the game...all terrainedits (TE wise) need to be done IN the TE folder. That's what I learned doing SoCal and ASW.

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench

kevin stein

Hi Wrench and all.

I read the readme when I install for the first time for sure, I always do that. :salute:

Anyway yesterday I decide dive into the ini files :type: , so extract both versions (1.3 and 1.4) and compare each other. I figured that, as said in the FLHausser's read me, the airbases were moved to a more precise geographic coordinates. But the new places seems not to been flattened. So the problems of dunes of sand covering airbases and the strange behaviour of the planes.

I just reinstall the Lybia terrain again but without the version 1.4 and voilà. I'm happy. All working again. :yahoo:

Thanks to everybody that try to help. :drinks_drunk:

The only differences in my version, is 1.3 has some moved items to match the coastlines for Polak's desert tiles. Other than that, .2 & .3 are identical.

These are my conclusions, after also comparing my 1.2/1.3 versions to FLHausser...

His is totally f***ed up!!!

Not one single Libyan airfield is usable. Now, I know the game has scalling problems, but having 2 VERY large bases parked next to each other, seems a little off. Tripoli Int'l is missing; as is ex-Wheelus -- considering it's in the middle of a bunch of city tiles with large buildings, and therefore would be unusable in any case. Also, all the airfield pointers are to the 'vietnamSEA_airfield***.ini. Don't think this would cause a problem but I've switched them back. Since I run in a fully patched WoE...

Depending on what PFunk needs, I'm going to have to go through the targets ini, line by line, re-create an accurate citylist.ini, move and/or reflatten the airfields. Possibly combining a few of this targets (mostly the extra terrorist training camps), double check the shipping routes and placements....

In short, a 95% rebuild.

I'm assuming you all want to use Polak's tiles, since they have all those nice buildings built in???

Opinions/comments required...

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest pfunkmusik
I'm assuming you all want to use Polak's tiles, since they have all those nice buildings built in???

Uhhh...yeah!!

Depending on what PFunk needs, I'm going to have to go through the targets ini, line by line, re-create an accurate citylist.ini, move and/or reflatten the airfields. Possibly combining a few of this targets (mostly the extra terrorist training camps), double check the shipping routes and placements....

In short, a 95% rebuild.

Opinions/comments required...

Wrench

kevin stein

Well, I don't know about PFunk needs :biggrin: , but I'm planning build two campaigns. One like the Rolling Thunder and another will be a total invasion. I just need finish a project that I'm working (RL stuff) :moil: .

The extra terrorist training camps will be very appreciated, and you right about the Polak's tiles.

From the other thread:

want to add Araxos, Hellenikos and Decimomannu ABs to the terrain and couldn't get any of the three to work.

I'm assuming these are in Greece??? Is there enough room from the map edge for them?? I'lll need to coordinates, though.

I've got all the fields flattened, moved a few target areas (some were on top of each other), added Tripoli Internal - albeit not quite in its real position, move Ocra bin-nasty east a little, so it's not almost on top of Ummmmm Atigua, flattened the vehicle depots, industrial centers, HQ center*...still double checking as some airfield were 'appearing' in the middle of cities (Sahba, fer instance)

May also fiddle with the air defenses --- too many SAM launchers are inside buildings (hospitals, orphanages, etc). May create seperate target areas with the generic tags. That'll wake your a$$ up when those Gammon's start climbing towards ya!

I want to remove Nasar AB, as that should be Egyptian (?); maybe make Egypt a 'neutral' country...would save on rebuilding the targets ini -again!!!! -- it would still be there, just not assigned in missions

After I get that all sorted, then I can check the NATO/US side for the anti-sliping, armed recon, etc mission types.

Wrench

kevin stein

*should I replace that with "The Hexagon"??? :wink:

Guest pfunkmusik
From the other thread:

I'm assuming these are in Greece??? Is there enough room from the map edge for them?? I'lll need to coordinates, though.

I've got all the fields flattened, moved a few target areas (some were on top of each other), added Tripoli Internal - albeit not quite in its real position, move Ocra bin-nasty east a little, so it's not almost on top of Ummmmm Atigua, flattened the vehicle depots, industrial centers, HQ center*...still double checking as some airfield were 'appearing' in the middle of cities (Sahba, fer instance)

May also fiddle with the air defenses --- too many SAM launchers are inside buildings (hospitals, orphanages, etc). May create seperate target areas with the generic tags. That'll wake your a$$ up when those Gammon's start climbing towards ya!

I want to remove Nasar AB, as that should be Egyptian (?); maybe make Egypt a 'neutral' country...would save on rebuilding the targets ini -again!!!! -- it would still be there, just not assigned in missions

After I get that all sorted, then I can check the NATO/US side for the anti-sliping, armed recon, etc mission types.

Wrench

kevin stein

Araxos AFB is on the western coast of Greece, on the Peloponnisos Peninsula. Hellenikos is right outside of Athens. Araxos isn't all that large, but it could handle MATS traffic, IIRC. Hellenikos is a HUGE facility, OTOH. Decimomannu is relatively small, maybe 3 squadrons could fit on it. It was meant primarily as a fighter strip, the Italian AF uses it now to base their aggressors for DACT.

Decimomannu is an Italian AFB, and it's on the southernmost tip of Sardinia, up in the top left-hand corner of the map. I'm using Geographica: Atlas of the World as my primary geographic reference material, but I'll bet the coordinates could be found on Google.

Now, next question, how the #@$% did you do all that stuff you mentioned?

Using the latest 1.3 version of the map for the terrain, I've got the following coordinates:

Araxos AFB (Western Greece) - X839000, Y829000

Hellenikos AFB (Eastern Greece) - X945000, Y877000

Decimomannu AFB (Sardinia) - X67300, Y957000

pfunk

Edited by pfunkmusik

THAT's what I needed!!! :biggrin:

The Sardinian AB may be too close to the edge. Hellenikos may also have issues with "The Wall". Araxos should be ok. I'll get the dropped in, and see what they look like.

note to self -- back up working TFD and HFDs

Now, next question, how the #@$% did you do all that stuff you mentioned?

1) make edits in targets ini

2) make edits in Libya_cities.ini

3) copy ENTIRE Libya folder into the TE

4) open TE, open HFD, open citylist, flatten airfield, smooth heightfield

5) save all

6) copy new TFD and HFD into game's Libya folder (in my case, my WoE_MidEast install)

7) Test fly Mig-21MF (my fav Fishead), with HUDDATA set to debug.

Repeat as necessary.

I think a lot of the problem is you're trying to retexture it...just leave the tiling alone. We only wanted to add/flatten airfields and other target areas. I got about 5 hours into it so far, and it's looking pretty damn good.

I'll check out the Greek/Italian bases and get back to you...

note to self: add Italy, Greece to Libya_Nations.ini

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest pfunkmusik
THAT's what I needed!!! :biggrin:

The Sardinian AB may be too close to the edge. Hellenikos may also have issues with "The Wall". Araxos should be ok. I'll get the dropped in, and see what they look like.

note to self -- back up working TFD and HFDs

1) make edits in targets ini

2) make edits in Libya_cities.ini

3) copy ENTIRE Libya folder into the TE

4) open TE, open HFD, open citylist, flatten airfield, smooth heightfield

5) save all

6) copy new TFD and HFD into game's Libya folder (in my case, my WoE_MidEast install)

7) Test fly Mig-21MF (my fav Fishead), with HUDDATA set to debug.

Repeat as necessary.

I think a lot of the problem is you're trying to retexture it...just leave the tiling alone. We only wanted to add/flatten airfields and other target areas. I got about 5 hours into it so far, and it's looking pretty damn good.

I'll check out the Greek/Italian bases and get back to you...

note to self: add Italy, Greece to Libya_Nations.ini

Wrench

kevin stein

:notworthy:

(opens up TE again...)

pfunk

May also fiddle with the air defenses --- too many SAM launchers are inside buildings (hospitals, orphanages, etc). May create seperate target areas with the generic tags. That'll wake your a$ up when those Gammon's start climbing towards ya!

That would be good. :ok:

Wrench

kevin stein

Hmmm...I couldn't find any reference about Nasar AB. Gamal 'Abd al-Nasser Airbase is the closest one, and it's a Lybian Airbase. I think that the map don't cover any part of Egypt.

Before I forget, I couldn't find Benina AB on Lybia v1.3. This page http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/wor...a/airfields.htm got a list of the Lybians airfields with their geographic coordinates. I can't convert these coordinates to Lybian map coordinates, I'm at work now.

:good:

Benina there...item #74 in the 1.4 listing; should be in my 1.2/1.3 as well

Good info...Nassar stays libyan!

Wrench

kevin stein

Ok, got all the Libyian airfields sorted out...wasn't that hard to do. Fiddle with the AD's a little, still need to add a couple of HAWK batteries around the (now renamed from US) NATO Base 1 & 2;

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do further east then the central Pelopeneus (sp?) I added Elefsis AB, above the Gulf of Salamis, and about 1 runway length to the east is THE WALL, so that base is right out. But, I did get Andravida located and installed. No problems there. West coast of the penninsula. This does give the Western/NATO air forces 3 usable bases.

Sardinia, also unfortunately, is at THE WALL.

Truth be told, I can't find ANY real bases on Sicily; just a few regular airports. I'm gonna try (but don't expect to turely succeed) to add a small base (airfield 3) to Malta.

I did a little dress up on our NATO/AMI bases....(these screenies are before the renaming, as you can tell by the HUD de-bug)

new_libya-1.jpg

new_libya-2.jpg

And a close up for a Greek friends...

new_libya-3.jpg

Ok, so where's my uzo??? :ok:

Still have some glitches with the 'Front Line' -- that's usual with me. Haven't checked the NATO anti-shipping mission routes (or actually anything over then CAPs to get the positions visible)

I hope to have this version, to be now and forever called "Libya 1.5Final" done early/mid week.

:wink: I'm doing this instead of going mind-numbingly bored making decals for the Cutlass. It's nice having all the BuNums, and which one goes with which plane in a given squadron.

Wrench

kevin stein

Guest pfunkmusik
Ok, got all the Libyian airfields sorted out...wasn't that hard to do. Fiddle with the AD's a little, still need to add a couple of HAWK batteries around the (now renamed from US) NATO Base 1 & 2;

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do further east then the central Pelopeneus (sp?) I added Elefsis AB, above the Gulf of Salamis, and about 1 runway length to the east is THE WALL, so that base is right out. But, I did get Andravida located and installed. No problems there. West coast of the penninsula. This does give the Western/NATO air forces 3 usable bases.

Sardinia, also unfortunately, is at THE WALL.

Truth be told, I can't find ANY real bases on Sicily; just a few regular airports. I'm gonna try (but don't expect to turely succeed) to add a small base (airfield 3) to Malta.

I did a little dress up on our NATO/AMI bases....(these screenies are before the renaming, as you can tell by the HUD de-bug)

new_libya-1.jpg

new_libya-2.jpg

And a close up for a Greek friends...

new_libya-3.jpg

Ok, so where's my uzo??? :ok:

Still have some glitches with the 'Front Line' -- that's usual with me. Haven't checked the NATO anti-shipping mission routes (or actually anything over then CAPs to get the positions visible)

I hope to have this version, to be now and forever called "Libya 1.5Final" done early/mid week.

:wink: I'm doing this instead of going mind-numbingly bored making decals for the Cutlass. It's nice having all the BuNums, and which one goes with which plane in a given squadron.

Wrench

kevin stein

I appreciate your trying. Malta International Airport in Valletta would be a good addition if it would fit. It's a good-sized hardened runway.

pfunk

Wrench

kevin stein

Great Job!

:clapping:

Decimomannu Air Base :sad:

LOL Damn your good :clapping:

Edited by Veltro2k

Ok...got a lot more worked on last night. There is, unfortunately, a major problem with Panataleria....

new_libya-8_pantelleria.jpg

This shot is from last night, using Runway1. I put every stinking airfield on that island (which seems to have a 'silting up' problem on the shorline --nothng I can do about that, as I don't want to mess with that stuff), and none of them worked - runways 1,2,5 and 6 ... they never flattened usably on the southern end (on the right). -- been a fraking nightmare with that one!!!

So, in frustration, I just dropped in my modified runway3 (paved version as seen in SoCal). Being a small airfield, none of the larger birds; ie those set to use MEDIUM runways, want to fly from it. It seems to be usable, but in trying to build a mission just to take off from there, the install of WoE I was using went titsup. Didn't damage the terrains, but all the effects and graphics are wonky. Good thing about having myriads of installs...just copy the terrain into another one!

So, we'll just have to live with it as it. Valetta has a harbor, populated with some shipping, Messinna exists as a blank city tile with a commbuilding (something for Sparko to attack, if he flys for the Bad Guys). Siracusa, without a harbor (should I add something???). I'll probably drop some kind of 'urban module' at Palermo and Trapani (if needed). Runway headings are pretty close, depening on terrain (high mountains make the AI crash)

On the NATO side we have usable:

Andravida, GR

Tito Minniti

NAS Signoella

Catania

Trapani Briggi

Luqa, Malta

All the Libyan stuff remains pretty much the same, with the exception of some airfields have been changed from Runway 4 (LARGE) to 1,5,6 (Medium).

BTW, is Tunisia friendly or enemy? I dropped a commbuliding at Tunis, but it's set as NEUTRAL. Nearby is the USAF/NATO listening post/spy center :wink: . It's mostly used as an anchor for the front line, which has been fixed.

All NATO bases have an associated defense site (HAWKs), plus their internal AAA units. Libya...well, you know about them! SAMs & AAA everywhere!!!

The Kadaffi's Defense Miinstry center got a building upgrade, too. You all can guess what I used :haha:

veltro: sorry, about Sardinia, bro! But there's plenty of other usable places. I even looked at Edwards WW2 Tunisia & North Africa maps....but switching sides is REAL bugger...never have quite gotten it right.

Hopefully, by the weekend for release. It'll be EVERYTHING needed - all the inis and other bits, tiles; excepting some of the GroundObjects, but everyone should have them anyway. Should be usable in just about ANY version of the game, from SF to WoI, as long as you have the proper cat pointer (I use WoE)

Wrench

kevin stein