Sign in to follow this  
Fida

AGM-65 Maverick as an A2A weapon

I have tried a number of occasions to destroy aircrafts with AGM-65.Once I guided an AGM-65 within 2 metres of a MiG-23 but it failed to hit as that MiG turned sharply.Is it really possible?

The only way the Maverick would hit an aircraft is when the aircraft in question is not turning around all over the place. A sharp turn is enough to avoid a Maverick (a missile designed to hit a slower, or static, target).

As far as I know, you can't actually fire a Maverick at a plane in the Strike Fighters series. At least, I can't seem to on mine. I've heard you can in LOMAC and I'm pretty sure I've seen a screencap of it, but I can't quite recall...

Only odd weapon I've noticed you can take out another aircraft with that you shouldn't normally be able to is an LGB.

I have tried a number of occasions to destroy aircrafts with AGM-65.Once I guided an AGM-65 within 2 metres of a MiG-23 but it failed to hit as that MiG turned sharply.Is it really possible?

You are aware what AGM stands for, right?

@ SayWhat?!: You could with a Maverick (as long as it has locked itself onto the aircraft), just that chances of it meeting its mark is 50:50. That also provided that the target is not going to perform sharp turns.

I have tried a number of occasions to destroy aircrafts with AGM-65.Once I guided an AGM-65 within 2 metres of a MiG-23 but it failed to hit as that MiG turned sharply.Is it really possible?

You have got to be joking.... right? :blink:

Yeah, its possible if the aircraft is parked on the tarmac.

You have got to be joking.... right? :blink:

Yeah, its possible if the aircraft is parked on the tarmac.

Beg to differ. Comes in handy when ur being hassled by Flankers or for that matter any enemy plane hustling you when on CAS.

Ive had one kill; yes SU-27 that was lining up on my wingman.

Ill try for a screenie.

There is no way to manually "steer" any TV-guided weapons, in this series. TV-Guidance is essentially modeled as fire and forget. Notice that you lose the TV image once the last TV guided weapon is launched or dropped

TV-Guidance is essentially modeled as fire and forget.

Yeah... that's why no one will get annoyed by Russian AGMs like "Vikhr". You have to keep plane flying straight at the target and keeping it locked intil the hit.

There is no way to manually "steer" any TV-guided weapons, in this series. TV-Guidance is essentially modeled as fire and forget. Notice that you lose the TV image once the last TV guided weapon is launched or dropped

That's what I was thinking. There have been times when I've lined up an enemy and fired thinking I'd had a IRM or something cued up but instead had an armed maverick. My Mavericks have never fired at another aircraft. Not even ones on the tarmac. I've had to use standard ATA or unguided weapons to take them out. Like so (this is me hammering the trigger... but nada)

Maverick-B-52.jpg

Kct, are you talking about lining up an aircraft between your mav and it's target? Is that how you almost tagged your guy Fida?

No, actually locking the target via the TV like usual, except on aircraft.

Although chances of this happening is far from usual, since most of the time I end up in dogfighting matches is less than 2 nautical miles radius.

Edited by kct