Sign in to follow this  
Fates

A-10 Gear up Landing

That gun must've had a stoppage or some kind of malfunction. I'm thinking stoppage + cook-off. Since the nose gear is right by the main gun, if a round goes off in an undesirable place in the gun, it could very easily wreck havoc in there, probably screwing the nose gear over. Now if the nose gear can't go down, then he would need to land with the mains up. If he landed with the mains down, then the nose would have hit the ground and that sensor pod on the right side would have gotten wiped off easily. I take it those things aren't cheap to replace.

looks like a great landing in ungreat condition..a good pictures... but where were the cameras during the event?? :D

happy to read the pilot is fine :)

If he landed with the mains down, then the nose would have hit the ground and that sensor pod on the right side would have gotten wiped off easily. I take it those things aren't cheap to replace.

Pave Penny right?

Pave Penny right?

Most jets require a lot of power to taxi in this condition. Wally Moorehead (Lt Gen Retired) was part of the A-10 OT&E team and told me the aircraft was purchased to survive just such a conditon with little or no repairs to get it back up and flying. The retracted main wheels still stick out about 4 inches and a pilot with the right touch can land with the wheels up with little or no damage. This guy was evidently a pretty good stick. Titanium bathtub or no, I would not like to be sitting on top of a malfunctioning 30mm Gatling gun.

In reality, I think the pentagon is experimenting with the A-10's news runway delivery system. They are just going to pin 10 yard lengths of runway and have the A-10 drop in into place to speed up construction sites.

Guest Bounder
That gun must've had a stoppage or some kind of malfunction. I'm thinking stoppage + cook-off. Since the nose gear is right by the main gun, if a round goes off in an undesirable place in the gun, it could very easily wreck havoc in there, probably screwing the nose gear over. Now if the nose gear can't go down, then he would need to land with the mains up. If he landed with the mains down, then the nose would have hit the ground and that sensor pod on the right side would have gotten wiped off easily. I take it those things aren't cheap to replace.

April 14, 2008 1:27 PM

Anonymous said...

The gun damage is from an in-flight malfunction, not landing; this caused the nose gear, which is in close proximity to the nose gun, to to be unable to extend. If you look at the sensor on the righ-hand side of the nose, there are no scratches/dings, so the pilot was able to keep the nose off the runway.