Sign in to follow this  
oded

avoiding SAM's ?

finished the "6th day war" campaign in WOI and started the "Yom Kippur" campaign. I am flying the Skyhawk A-4.

I am being shot down by SAM's in just about any mission. what is the best method to avoid them ?

flying extremely low or very high ? keep manouvering the entire flight ? don't have any ECM or Chaffs. am I missing something here ?

BTW, how do you turn on the afterburner on this plane. 100% throttle won't turn it on.

thanks, Oded.

finished the "6th day war" campaign in WOI and started the "Yom Kippur" campaign. I am flying the Skyhawk A-4.

I am being shot down by SAM's in just about any mission. what is the best method to avoid them ?

flying extremely low or very high ? keep manouvering the entire flight ? don't have any ECM or Chaffs. am I missing something here ?

BTW, how do you turn on the afterburner on this plane. 100% throttle won't turn it on.

thanks, Oded.

Fly very very low, (I find this most effective).

Try to put the missile on your left or right beam (shoulder), then when it getting close turn hard into it, it may not be able to make the turn and miss you.

The A-4 doesn't have an afterburner. you may want to read a bit about the planes you fly, I find it makes it much more fun to fly them.

About ECM Chaff and Flairs even I don't really know what exactly the IAF had in 73.

Internal ECM wasn't available in fighters of the period as far as I know, but there were pods you could carry.

I know F-4s carried them, not sure about A-4s.

Try to select a squadron flying the A-4H, then you'll at least have the threat warning display.

and if you can spare the hard points, carry a couple of AGM-45 Shrikes and fire them at those SAM radars.

Ziker

Ziker gave the best advices you can get:

fly low!

But there, beware of the AAA... In the 1982 campaign, ECM pods and chaff/flares do help a lot to increase survability, but in 1973, it's the only solution.

thanks, Oded.

I think we all have been taking it on the chin in WOI the AI is much tougher. avoiding sams is not so easy u must spot it early and try to out turn it, flying under 500ft is a good way but then you put your plane in real danger from AAA and all other ground fire. don't fly straight and level the whole mission, practice different techniques to ingress, keep you energy up stay fast when down in the weeds. different things work better for different aircraft. The scooter doesnt have afterburner (not the early model). :good::biggrin:

A-4 get an upgrade to (73) version in the course of campaign. This one will have ECM, RWR, chaff and flares. Until that - hold tight. :biggrin:

Yeah, fly low. When you come across hills, there are two things you can do... 1.) fly around them. This will make your flight very zig-zaggedy. 2.) fly over them by going inverted over the hill.

As ziker said, keep the missiles fired at you on your left or right profile. When you see the missile make it's final maneuver towards you, pull up hard, at the same time go inverted. Once inverted keep pulling back hard on the stick so you can dive back down to the deck and roll out from inverted flight, pulling back again to maintain NAP and not crash into the ground. This is probably the sharpest maneuver you can make in almost any aircraft, but if you do it wrong, you will crash.

When you come across AAA, just do barrel rolls, pulling back gently on the stick.