Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Pentagon selling aviation history

Say hello to my own personal F-14D supertomcat!

I wonder if they'd let me install arrestor cables on an almost carrier landing strip sized walkway on campus?

I thinks it's a little excessive that the metal be cut into 4" by 4" pieces. I mean, isn't the whole point of buying an old airframe having an old airframe (or at least part of it), much like some people have railroad cabooses in their front yards?

I mean, I can understand the national security thing, but I seriously doubt the lethality of a T-34, unless maybe it has lasers and a cloaking shield.

Edited by Longestpants

I mean, I can understand the national security thing, but I seriously doubt the lethality of a T-34, unless maybe it has lasers and a cloaking shield.

If a 3rd world country obtained them and attacked another 3rd world country with them, then everyone would blame the US. It's like the Gun manufactures getting blamed for an armed gunmens actions. That's what they are afraid of.

These security measures are probably the result of the Tomcat scare. You know, Iran was trying to get some sophisticated spare parts from retired USN aircraft for its museum fleet. :wink:

Say hello to my own personal F-14D supertomcat!

A man can dream. :wink:

The part about aviation history can be misleading, especially if you fail to notice the 'bit for bit' part. They are basically selling scrap metal and not complete aircraft.