F-29A "????????"  

120 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want the name of the F-29A to be?

• Razor
    • Lynx
    • Panther II
    • Puma
    • Cobra II
    • Warhawk II
    • Kittyhawk II
    • Raven II

It's decision time. You can vote for more than one name. Name with the most votes wins.

I saw something on tv last night they crossed a tigre with a lion... the result was a nice big cat called Liga <--- race

I'm definitely voting for Lynx, since it's what I'm using for my own F-29 project. After all, Tiger is a helicopter too. :biggrin:

The only aircraft that had II at the end that was worth a damn was the Phantom.

I guess the A-10 Thunderbolt II wasn't worth a damn? :biggrin:

Ya done stepped in it now...

FastCargo

Razor is in my view the best cause of shape of the wings!

I second that...

Gosh, I was kinda holding out for "Retaliator". Seemed nice and traditional and all that.

Wrench

kevin stein

Gosh, I was kinda holding out for "Retaliator". Seemed nice and traditional and all that.

Me too. A real blast from the past.

judging from the results thus far we must have some P-40 fans hiding in the wings...

Not a vocal bunch either, are they?

My vote for razor only just tied it up with the pride of Chenault, phase 2.

:blink:

I saw something on tv last night they crossed a tigre with a lion... the result was a nice big cat called Liga <--- race

Actually its called Liger

Falcon

i prefer puma.

i know it's already used, but i like that kind of animal. Predators............

As a matter of fact, depending on the mother, it's either a Liger (Lion male, tiger female) or a Tig®on (Tiger male, lion female).

Ligers are generally larger and way more impressive than Tigrons.

Anyway, I voted Warhawk II, for nostalgia reasons and because the P-40 (and what it stands for) is well worth an homage.

Puma is a german armour vehicle.

The F-29 i would call "Selten dämliches Uhubaby"

Razor sounds about right for this one :blink: :yes:

Why not use something that points to it's wings, like "Scythe", "Sickle", "Khukri" or even "Boomerang" ??!!

-"puma"...you made that up...you have any other mythical creatures you want to add to the list *

* can anybody name that quote?

Lynx gets my vote since an agile cat and not the largest - just like the plane itself. :wink:

-"puma"...you made that up...you have any other mythical creatures you want to add to the list *

* can anybody name that quote?

Red Vs. Blue, Sarge said that I believe in response to what Grif or Simmons said.

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

I voted for Lynx myself because of reasons already mentioned in this thread. Maybe the export version can be called the Retaliator :yes:

Lynx is a british helicopter.

Ok, let's be rationnal for one minute :

We have to consider DoD's naming style, USAF naming tradition and current fancy as well as Northrop/Grumman heritage.

The Northtrop/Grumman part points toward a cat name, because it is mostly a Grumman plane AND a F-5 derivative, itself named, in its E variant, after a Grumman plane named after a big cat.

- Razor, sounds "cool", 70's/80's "cool" that is, and definitely not a name in the tradition of either the manufacturer or the USAF.

- Lynx, in keeping with Grumman's tradition, but already taken by a helo from an allied country, still in service.

- Panther II, follows Grumman's heritage, yet fails to capture the imagination.

- Puma, see above, plus the trend seems to be paying homage to legendary planes.

- Cobra II, even though the YF-17 was named Cobra, the name didn't stick because of the helo, also, since the original Cobra was assigned to a prototype and thus was never officially assigned, it would still be Cobra (unless in your distopian setting the F-17 was produced, in which case the Cobra II wouldn't be used either, as the F-17 would still be in service when the question of naming the F-17 occurs), not Cobra II, which reinforce the rejection of the name to avoid confusion with the AH-1.

- Warhawk II, a Curtiss-Wright name, whose heritage is "lost", if I really wanted to defend it by being ridiculous, I'd suggest using the link with the Flying Tigers to come back to the big cat theme, plus the homage.

- Kittyhawk II, only as an homage, with no other relation, plus it's not a fancy enough name for the period.

- Raven II, well, the first Raven performed a completely different duty and was retired not so long ago, so it is dubious the name would be chosen, also, seeing a Grumman bird taking the name of a plane whose role after retirement was taken over by another Grumman plane seems, strange, also, in your distopian timeline, the F-29 would enter service while the EF-111 is still in service, so the Raven name wouldn't be reused anyway.

So, Raven II, Cobra II and Lynx would certainly not be used; Razor seems improbable; Warhawk II, Kittyhawk II are in keeping with celebrating WWII planes; Panther II and Puma are in keeping with Grumman's heritage but seem somewhat... tame.

Oh, and did I say that "Razor" sounds lame, like something that would sound cool only after watching "Top Gun" again and again for a week.

Anyway, just my very biased 2 cents...