Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

Video from UAV as it gets blasted by Mig-29!

CoolHand29, I found that video incredibly cool and funny (since nobody was hurt) especially that part when the missile turns directly into the camera. Imagine the looks on the face of the UAV operator when he saw that. :biggrin:

Nice find :good:

You all probably saw this one Mig 25 soothing down Predator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWUR3sgKUV8

Obviously a boarder dispute between these 2 counties, but is thereany more info on this Coolhand. Is this an ongoing issue, after all 18 years ago they were the same country there has to be a reason they are hostile to each other. I think the best plane that Georga has is the upgraded SU-25.

Cant believe they have the video!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/7359514.stm

I suppose the Mig had to visually ID it which is why it was so close ??

CoolHand29, I found that video incredibly cool and funny (since nobody was hurt) especially that part when the missile turns directly into the camera. Imagine the looks on the face of the UAV operator when he saw that. :biggrin:

Nice find :good:

You all probably saw this one Mig 25 soothing down Predator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWUR3sgKUV8

Yeah - couldnt believe they have such good footage of it either - in such quality as well - makes the impact even more spectacular !

:)

Obviously a boarder dispute between these 2 counties, but is thereany more info on this Coolhand. Is this an ongoing issue, after all 18 years ago they were the same country there has to be a reason they are hostile to each other. I think the best plane that Georga has is the upgraded SU-25.

Well heres one reason

"Tensions are high between Russia and Georgia over Russian support for Abkhazia and another breakaway Georgian region, South Ossetia.

Russian and UN peacekeepers have been deployed in the two regions since the early 1990s, when violence erupted as they broke free from Georgian control.

Tbilisi believes Moscow is fuelling the separatist conflict in Abkhazia to maintain Russian influence in the region and to damage Georgia's hopes of joining Nato.

Georgia has requested a UN Security Council meeting on the issue, due to be held on Wednesday and attended by the country's foreign minister David Bakradze.

Georgia's deputy prime minister was in London on Tuesday for meetings with British officials to try and garner international support for his country's position in the row with Russia.

Last week, Georgia accused Russia of trying to annex Abkhazia and South Ossetia by deciding to seek closer ties with them. "

one of the issues we are working with the FAA on operating UAV's in the national airspace system is their ability to "See and Avoid". I guess this one comes under the heading of "See and not quite avoid....."

:blink:

I already told Dave that Russia's best excuse is that the pilot in the Fulcrum was on a training mission, somehow got off course, and thought he locked up onto a targeting drone and fired at it. Denying the whole incident only proves more that they did it, knew that it was wrong, and don't want to fess up to it.

Looks like Su-27 flanker for me, not Mig-29. Fighter on this video has big wings and missile was firing from wingtip.

Maybe it's a Behind Enemy Lines situation. What if the Georgian UAV saw something it "wasn't" supposed to?

Anyone has the radio comms when it happened? Thought it would be interesting to hear some Russian pilot's "...'Request permission to engage'...'target identification confirmed. bogeys heading 230, airpeed 150knots ceiling 2,000, 30 nautical miles closer..request permission to engage target'....'target hot...inbound 2 O'clock...radar locked on...request permission to fire weapon....target re-acquired...permission to launch weapon is requested...changing to R-73 Archer...target hot request permission to destroy target...orders confirmed, target off my shoulder 4 O'clock, firing Archer boresight 60 degrees....splash one...target destroyed.!"

Looks like Su-27 flanker for me, not Mig-29. Fighter on this video has big wings and missile was firing from wingtip.

No, that's definitely a 29. Camo scheme is wrong for a 27, plus it's not from the wingtip itself, it's from the left outboard underwing pylon.

Slightly off-topic...haven't you noticed the speed of the MiG? That's in the real world. I mean looking back to any flight sim, planes just fly like in lsow motion compared to the real world.

Slightly off-topic...haven't you noticed the speed of the MiG? That's in the real world. I mean looking back to any flight sim, planes just fly like in lsow motion compared to the real world.

IMO there is probably a difference - but that shot of the Mig is something im all to familiar with from Falcon 4 - and I cant see any obvious difference myself.

Even the way it moves wobbling its wings is captured in F4 all to well.

Also that UAV is really slow (probably <100kts) - so you would expect the Mig to close up pretty quickly.

No, that's definitely a 29. Camo scheme is wrong for a 27, plus it's not from the wingtip itself, it's from the left outboard underwing pylon.

Yeah agree - defo the smaller Mig29 - despite their similarities the SU-27/Mig29 shapes are different enough!

The square wingtips of the 27 vs the rounded of the 29 are the best identifier in this case. There's also definitely a difference in the nose shape, but that's not quite as clear here.