Sign in to follow this  
Typhoid

Landing Gear

Just got word from China Lake that the Brits there have verified, once again, that landing gear is still required on the Eurofighter during landing.........

:shok:

film at 11.......

(no photos - yet)

When ?where? who? why?

hehe

a couple of hours ago at China Lake by the RAF guys doing some testing out there.

"why?" he forgot to put the rollers down.......

"Belly landing check - OK"

Well, as long as everyone got out okay...

FastCargo

"Belly landing check - OK"

Well, as long as everyone got out okay...

FastCargo

from what I heard, second hand, he got out ok but the aircraft will only go back to the UK in the back of a cargo plane as partially melted pieces.

Doesn't the ATC at the airfield usually look at something like that and send a comm that gear is up? Or is that place too busy for them to be able to?

Even without pics I think it's fair to say:

A-10 > Typhoon

(well, at least when it comes to belly landing) :wink:

Friggin Fox..... The Typhoons have been experiencing gear problems, as well as some with braking chutes. This just confirms my belief that the media should never report on anything related to military or aviation.

This just confirms my belief that the media should never report on anything related to military or aviation.

I disagree. I do think that these reports can be useful, but unfortunately they often are presented out of proportion. The media (and I think their audience as well) prefers to focus on the sensational value of such an incident instead of providing the public with an objective account of the event.

God, I sound so idealistic here. :wink:

How embarassing - its got a nice flat belly to land on at least!

Think that pilot will be flying a cargo plane full of rubber dog**** out of Hong Kong! - to quote from something

Friggin Fox..... The Typhoons have been experiencing gear problems, as well as some with braking chutes. This just confirms my belief that the media should never report on anything related to military or aviation.

and you know that it wasn't a mistake - how?

Well, not saying it wasn't, but as an aviation professional, it just burns me up when they reports something. They (the media) always have to mention 'crash'....ugh.

post-10543-1209686490_thumb.jpg

My old roommate in college was working local in the tower at Tallahassee Regional when this happened on his runway today. :shok:

Ouch, looks like there might be 2 down, and one up there...

$136 Million, holy crap i didn't know it cost that much. Hopefully they can at least fix it. What is the cost of the Raptor by the way?

Hard to say because it depends on how many you buy at a time. Cheaper in bulk and all that.

However, a year or two ago the USAF placed an order with LockMart for a single F-22 as a replacement for a testing article that I guess will not enter service. That contract was just over $141 million. So, you can figure that's the "unit" price of an F-22, discounting all the money spent on R&D, testing, maintenance, etc that some people like to lump in with the cost of procurement and divide by total units built to indicate "cost."

there is a suggestion that the aircraft showed 3 greens in the cockpit but that the nose gear wasn't down/locked.

as always let's wait for the accident report rather than too much speculation.

The Sun isn't what we would consider a quality source :rolleyes: