Gunrunner

Your first combat flight sim...

Ok guys, what was your first taste of combat flight simulator, and by that I mean a game in contemporary or historical setting, with "real" planes and played from the cockpit.

Mine was LucasFilm Games/Lawrence Holland's "Their Finest Hour : The Battle of Britain" (it was indeed, one of the first four games I owned, the other three being SimCity, M1 Tank Platoon and Zak McKracken), which I played, at first, in 1989 on a ridiculous 8088 with a CGA (4 colors, black, white, cyan and the dreaded magenta) display.

Can't believe the time I spent playing at the time, anyway, that started a long, very long serie of simulators over the years.

So, what was the first sim that got you hooked to the genre ?

The first actual flight sim I played after years of X-Wing was First Eagles. As soon as I saw the trailer for that game, I was in love with the genre.

Turn N' Burn-No fly zone for snez.

than F-16 Agressor,F-22 Raptor ,F-16/MiG-29(novalogic) ,Wings Over Vietnam,CFS3, Wings Over Europe,Lock-On,Falcon 4.0,IL-2(some of series) FE and now WOI .

o/ that's it, all iv'e playing

oh and a demo of Jane's IAF that Viggen sent to me the link eheh

LOL i forget.... the EE series and Comanche, plus B-17 flying might 8II

Edited by Silverbolt

Sky Chase on our Tandy 1000. All from the "cockpit". Wire frame models. Lots of different aircraft to choose from that all flew the same.

The first one that was actually more along the lines of a sim was Hornet and Hornet Korea on a Mac.

Falcon AT by Spectrum Holobyte. Ran in EGA off a single floppy on my PC XT (hard drive was 10 Mb [yes Mb], 640K of RAM). After that I got a 486sx with a huge 30 Mb hard drive and a whole Mb of RAM and moved on to Red Baron I, Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe and DI's great Tornado (I so wish someone had remade that-it was one of the best).

Flight simulator 4.

I have memories of my father playing with the 3, but at that time he did not let me touch the comp'. :)

My first air victory on a sim was in Red Baron, I got a dynamix pack with A10 tank killer, Red Baron, Aces of the pacific and Aces over Europe. Played it until very recently!

I got then a few titles, the more I played were Red Baron II and Fighters Anthology. I then quit the sims for a few years, until I found SFP1 and fell in love with a so open game!

Becouse it was a long time ago I'm not sure which one I played first, but some of the first are F-19, F-15 Strike Ealge II and F-29 Retaliator

my first sim was back in 98..A-10 Silent Thunder. i still have it and play it often...i remember being 10 and not being able to beat one mission on it...not it seems very simple compared to things like Lock On. or F4AF

Microprose F-15 Strike Eagle

Then one of the early flight simulators. the one that had the crappy WW1 combat on it

Though it was not a true flight sim this game got my interested in Flying Games on the Computer.

It was 50 Mission Crush for the Commodore 64. In this game you planned and Flew bomber missions in WW2.

The first Flight sim I bought was Battle Hawks 1942.

Microprose F-15 Strike Eagle

Then one of the early flight simulators. the one that had the crappy WW1 combat on it

Flight Simulator 4 had it. Yeah, the combat sim was not very good, that's why I did not counted it as a first combat sim experience.

F-19 Stealth Fighter when I was 10 or 11... those were the days

Good ole Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, F-29 Retaliator and TORNADO: OPERATION DESERT STORM from Digital Integration/Trimark.

my computer was so slow back then, that I couldnt even run Strike Eagle 2

I do remember Strike Eage 1 having that crazy authentication process everytime you started the game

GSC F/A-18 Hornet. It was the first one ever. A bit advanced for a 8 year old but I learned by doing XD

I can still tackle a Su-27 with guns in it.

i started off with Aces over Europe, then moved on to the Pacific one. i still have those btw, and they still run.

then i fell in love with Strike Commander. but for some reason i cannot get it to play at all. also Falcon 2.0 and then i moved onto all the Jane's games like US Navy Fighters, Fighters Anthology and then eventually the USAF, IAF, and Longbow games. ive got a stack of flight sim cd's about a foot and a half high next to the computer.

The Aces series from dynamix were my first sims and an Apache heli sim(on 1-2 1.44mb disks iirc), later i got strike commander and the first comanche sim to run on my damn 486...played EAW later on some friends pcs...cause at that time 486 were already DEAD but still had some Aces sessions at that time...

After my army duty+6 extra month duty i was able to buy my first "real" pc...read a article about the very first IL-2 game in a mag at that time, but for some reason ive started playing it 2 years later...iirc MechWarrior4 online was the reason hehe :blink:

Cause IL-2 sucks in single player mode ive joined a JG, flew ther for 2-4 years then got sick off UBI/IL-2 community/ Maddox fanboys/UFO-La`s....man i still get angry when i hear statements like .50 cl/P-51 won the war...

But had a real good time....still remember a coop mission i flew with my comrades, 4 emils each a single sc250....approached the target after 30-45mins dropped our load, and arrived at home base without a single enemy encounter...but we held formation more or less the whole time, covered each others etc...

Its my very best online exp imo

I remember that ive borrowed SFP1 from a friend some years ago...dunno why, but i wasnt convinced...maybe that it wasnt WW2 related :no:

2 weeks ago i discoverd WoI...and i guess ill stay here for some time!

think mine was Strike Commander ans far as with vids,but my very first was

B-1 Nuclear Bomber

B-1 Nuclear Bomber was coded entirely in BASIC. But unlike classic BASIC games such as Dan Bunten�s amazing Cartel$ & Cutthroat$ that push the envelope of the language, B-1 Nuclear Bomber is one of the worst of the bunch. As M. Evan Brooks observes in his synopsis, �its play mechanics are embarrassing in the contemporary market; in fact, its play mechanics were embarrassing when it was initially released. A virtual X-Y axis game of nuclear "bombs bursting in air".� Worth a look only if you are a nostalgic wargaming fan.

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/javascript.html

to see how bad it was check it out it was all text only one pic in the opening .

but now SC was the cats butt back then.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/strike-c...der/screenshots

Edited by Bounder

The first one I played was a friend's copy of Jane's US Navy Fighters '97, and then I played Jane's ATF frequently when I lived with my grandparents after getting evacuated from Saudi Arabia. The first one I owned was Jane's ATF Gold, and I still have it, as well as IAF.

Hmm,

First as at a friend's house: either Red Baron or Strike Commander. I know I played both, but I can't remember the order.

First on my own computer: Chuck Yeager with Jane's ATF following later in the year. When I got ATF I had to double my RAM to 16mb in order to run the game. Then I got NATO fighters and then the Duosoft toolkit. Man, those days were fun...

If I remember it correctly it was during the summer of 1987. My

roomate had gotten a brand new Commodore 128 IBM

machine and I happen to find this 'sim' called "Spitfire 40".

One word describes the experience - APPALLING!

Solid blue sky and solid green landscape. It actually had a

cockpit, but because of his rigs unbearably slow performance

this game was so incredibly choppy that it was nearly impossible

to play. The irony was my roomate seeing me struggle with

this thing heckled me over it :fuk:

It's funny looking back on those early days :biggrin:

Edited by MrCraig41

For the Commodore 64/128

Top Gun

For the PC

Flight of The Intruder