Sign in to follow this  
swambast

Going Bonkers Trying to Add Statics to Airbases...Please Help!

OK, I've now spent 2 hours trying to get this to work, and I am still clueless as to why the static aircraft object will not appear. How in the *#$#@!!! do you get static aircraft to permanently appear? For example, I'm trying to populate the Da Nang Airbase with say, static F-4Es in the aircraft shelters...that's it - that's all I want to do. Can someone, please, please, please help walk me through it?

Edited by swambast

OK, I've now spent 2 hours trying to get this to work, and I am still clueless as to why the static aircraft object will not appear. How in the *#$#@!!! do you get static aircraft to permanently appear? For example, I'm trying to populate the Da Nang Airbase with say, static F-4Es in the aircraft shelters...that's it - that's all I want to do. Can someone, please, please, please help walk me through it?

Hi Swambast, have a look at the last entry I posted in this article http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=21970. If you're still not having any luck, then please get in touch with me.

Regards, comrpnt.

Thanks a lot comrpnt, I was hoping you would reply! I have an understanding and have successfully integrated the statics through the MISSION files without any issue, so perhaps I didn't articulate my issue clearly. What I want to do is to permanently have the statics as part of the airfield, and NOT dependent on any specific mission files. Is it possible to make the statics a "permanent" part of the game, basically like a terrain object?

I have made limited progress. For example, I added the info into the targets.ini and the types.ini files, and I am getting further. For example, I can now get the F-4E .lods to appear in the game (though without any textures), but they are sunk about 50% into the ground and I don't know why that is. I have the .lods directly in the VietnamSea terrain file, but I'm getting unexpected results like the sunk aircraft. Any ideas...?

Thanks a lot comrpnt, I was hoping you would reply! I have an understanding and have successfully integrated the statics through the MISSION files without any issue, so perhaps I didn't articulate my issue clearly. What I want to do is to permanently have the statics as part of the airfield, and NOT dependent on any specific mission files. Is it possible to make the statics a "permanent" part of the game, basically like a terrain object?

I have made limited progress. For example, I added the info into the targets.ini and the types.ini files, and I am getting further. For example, I can now get the F-4E .lods to appear in the game (though without any textures), but they are sunk about 50% into the ground and I don't know why that is. I have the .lods directly in the VietnamSea terrain file, but I'm getting unexpected results like the sunk aircraft. Any ideas...?

If you try to make a ground object out of an aircraft .lod, as you describe, you will always have that problem. The reason is because the center of the model is in the middle of the aircraft. The center is what will rest on the ground. Also, if you could see it, you'ld notice that the gears are not down either.

You need a .lod that was made to be used as a ground object. capun has made some, and there are some included in YAP.

The other alternative is to wait until SF, WOV, and WOE are patched. This will get you the static aircraft as you've seen in the WOI screen shots. Their positions are defined in the airfield .ini's in the terrain's .cat. For single missions, the aircraft placed there is random, as long as they fit into the time frame of the mission you're flying. During campaigns, only aircraft that are stationed there via the campaign's _data.ini will be parked there.

Edited by JSF_Aggie

Aggie, that is extremely insightful, thank you very much sir! I guess that clears up the mystery around the "swimming" planes and the .lod file issues I was having. Wow, so you need a custom made .lod file to accomplish what I am trying to do then? So, is it also true that the WOV Static Aircraft Pack that was created can only be successfully used in combination with a Mission Builder / mission file then? If so, I can now completely understand why the majority integrate the static aircraft on a mission-by-mission basis vs. trying to integrate the static aircraft on a permanent basis! :fool:

Hmm, it sounds like then only 3 options exist: 1) wait until the WOV upgrade patch, 2) integrate statics using a mission builder or 3) leverage what may exist via YAP or Capun's work...

Sound about right?

Aggie, that is extremely insightful, thank you very much sir! I guess that clears up the mystery around the "swimming" planes and the .lod file issues I was having. Wow, so you need a custom made .lod file to accomplish what I am trying to do then? So, is it also true that the WOV Static Aircraft Pack that was created can only be successfully used in combination with a Mission Builder / mission file then? If so, I can now completely understand why the majority integrate the static aircraft on a mission-by-mission basis vs. trying to integrate the static aircraft on a permanent basis! :fool:

Hmm, it sounds like then only 3 options exist: 1) wait until the WOV upgrade patch, 2) integrate statics using a mission builder or 3) leverage what may exist via YAP or Capun's work...

Sound about right?

Sounds just right!

Incidentally, take a look at the content of this mission pack http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6299. In it I've used Capun's statics numerous times throughout WOE. You'll see lots of examples of what you need to do for WOV in my _types.ini and _targets.ini additions.

Regards, comrpnt.