Sign in to follow this  
ndicki

SFG hangs on launch

When I click on the icon/exe, I get the intro movie, GMX and the thunderstorm, and then - either it goes ahead and loads up normally, or often, it just hangs there on a black screen, with no HD noise or anything. I'm using fully patched SF Gold on XP SP2 fully updated, with a P4 2.8C on an Asus P400V with 768MB RAM, 7600GS video card, etc, etc. Everything in perfect running order.

When it hangs, I can exit through the task manager easily, but once it has hung, it will continue to do so. Logging out and back in fixes this, until it happens again.

Any ideas?

Could it be that your system does not meet the required RAM? I think that you should have 1 gig of RAM, now this may not be the source of the problem but if you say that all else is good...I could be mistaken, if you have played any other of the TW series with no problems.

Edited by Viper6

I think it is not RAM problem- I play strike fighters gold witch all patch'es with 398 MB RAM... Maby it is a problem with DirectX but If I remember if you have to old DirectX the game will hangs when loading mission. Maby try to upgrade your gaphics card driver... :dntknw:

I think it is not RAM problem- I play strike fighters gold witch all patch'es with 398 MB RAM... Maby it is a problem with DirectX but If I remember if you have to old DirectX the game will hangs when loading mission. Maby try to upgrade your gaphics card driver... :dntknw:

Drivers are the latest released, and I'm using a relatively recent DX9 version - if I use an earlier one, CFS3 won't run...!

I've had this problem too a few times, DX is up to date, plenty of ram, graphics capapbility etc. Still haven't found a proper solution to the problem. Also, do you have any other TW sims installed? For me, when one sticks on the pre-mainscreen blackness, they all do. Usually when it happens, i bring up task manager, and end the peocess to get out of it. The weird thing is, there never seems to be an obvious reason for why it happens, no major graphics settings changes are made or anything.

Dont play with the start up video myself - usually just delete it

Open up IntroMovies.ini (in the games root folder) and change it to this:

[Movie001]

Name=

Not counting on it but see if anything improves

Dont play with the start up video myself - usually just delete it

Open up IntroMovies.ini (in the games root folder) and change it to this:

[Movie001]

Name=

Not counting on it but see if anything improves

Now that pre-empts another question I wanted to ask - good one!

Edit, later: Well, at least I don't have to watch the video before finding that it still won't load. Good try.

Edited by ndicki

How old is this install? have you modded it much - the first thing I would do is copy the entire current game to a back up folder.

then uninstall SFG via "Add/Remove progs" and manually delete any remnants (apart from the backup folder of your game of course) - then reinstall it and test it BEFORE modding it.

my DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)