Sign in to follow this  
AntEater

How to get IR SAMs to fire?

I installed Pasko's SAM pack and the modified Israel terrain (forgot who the author is), so now there are a lot of Chapparals and Strelas and so.

Problem is, they never seem to engage anything. Missiles show up on the launchers, so it isnt that.

I tried setting even the early Chapparals to all-aspect and I think I got one launch sofar, but that apparently didn't guide, as it didn't show up in the mission log.

Another Problem is that many SAMs seem to blow up on launch or directly after launch, especially with HAWK and Osa-M (SA-8).

I said IR SAMs.

HAWKs work just fine, except for the blowing up problem

Check your Stinger or SA-7 data for this section:

[Missile]

SystemType=MISSILE

MissileID=1

WeaponTypeName=SA-7

WeaponPosition=0.16,-0.10,1.4

ShowMissile=TRUE <-------------------This must say TRUE in order for them to fire.

IndependentPitchMovement=FALSE

I said IR SAMs.

HAWKs work just fine, except for the blowing up problem

Doesnt that download solve the blowing up problem mister.

Strelas, Stingers, Chaparrels and HAWKs all work fine for me.

Check you're using the lastest weapons data for them -- the TMF pak has upgraded Chapparell, and the HAWK fix as well. You can also cross check the HAWK data against what's in Nick Bell's NATO Defense Mod, in the 'Object Mods" secition of the D/L page. Hawks are updated there as well.

Stingers and Strelas, again, check the weapons data.

Wrench

kevin stein

Interesting. This is my next thing to explore after the AA missiles. :good:

My Chapparalls tracked a pair of MiGs but never fired either.

I watched from F7 view, and they sure looked locked up, but the AIM-9's never took off, same with the ADATS, which I have had working in SF:Gold just fine.

All the INI entries I looked at looked fine, they have nicely replaced the M-113 20mm, and 1/2 tons with 50's, but are even more useless.

I installed Pasko's SAM pack and the modified Israel terrain (forgot who the author is), so now there are a lot of Chapparals and Strelas and so.

Problem is, they never seem to engage anything. Missiles show up on the launchers, so it isnt that.

I tried setting even the early Chapparals to all-aspect and I think I got one launch sofar, but that apparently didn't guide, as it didn't show up in the mission log.

Another Problem is that many SAMs seem to blow up on launch or directly after launch, especially with HAWK and Osa-M (SA-8).

Been playing with the Chaparral recently and had similar issues. I tried fiddling with the missile's parameters, and increasing the field of view seemed to solve the problem (or at least increased the frequency of missile launches). Perhaps an increased FOV (40-50 degrees) is no too historically correct for the Chaparral, but at least it seems to work now...

IIRC the SA-8 explodes because of a misplaced missile. When the launcher fires that missile it basically "hits itself" with it and explodes. Try checking the missile positions in the launcher's data.ini.

And, IIRC, in case of the HAWK, the culprit is an incorrect hitbox. Try to change (i.e. decrease) the Min and MaxExtentPositions in the launchers data.ini.

Good post.

Setting up the FOV for the seeker head really did the trick for the Strela and the Chapparal.

Problem is, the AI fires strelas totally out of parameter and the SA-9 doesn't seem to show up at all :(

The problem with the Osa-M/SA-8 was the booster motor. It always seemed to me the missiles had problems getting airborne and stalled into the ground so I looked.

The booster motor only accelerated with 2.7 G, most other soviet sams had ten times that value.

So I increased it and got blasted out of the sky by one....