Okay guys, I'm hesitant to post this, cuz I'm afraid some experianced modeller is going to tell me I screwed the pooch on this, but here goes.

My efforts for the past 5 days: The YF-19 Excalibur

Before any Macross Plus fans get too excited, let me warn you, this is not the exact version seen in the movie. I've modified it as a fighter mode only aircraft. The head and laser that pokes through the fuselage have been removed (or covered rather), I've replaced the arms underneath the fuselage with a more aerodynamic shape for mounting hardpoints, and there is absolutely no detail beyond what is necassary for the fighter mode (IE, no internal battroid workings). I have done this for 2 reasons. First, this is the first time I've modelled something this far, using this technique, with the goal of putting it in game (there was a failed attempt at a CT-4 Airtrainer for MSFS many years ago) so things were kept as simple as possible. Second, I personally could care less if the YF-19 can tranform into a battroid, I think she's perfect in fighter mode.

Okay, lets get some pictures up here.

gallery_10543_38_127154.jpg

gallery_10543_38_86662.jpg

What is left at the moment is the landing gear (doors and bays are done), cockpit, guns, and to cut out the control surfaces on the wings. Also some small fixes such as moving verts and adding a few more edges, as you can see in the pictures a few errors.

I have not applied any smoothing yet, as I'm unsure of what the best way to go about doing this is.

I feel that I can complete the rest of the model without problems. Having looked at UVW texturing, I beleive I can handle that has well. Beyond this though, I am clueless. Information for getting aircraft animated propery, components named properly, and into Strike Fighters, is spread out and sometimes non existent. If anyone knows of some quality resources detailing the process I would love to know where they are.

Lastly, does anyone know how the control surfaces on the wing are set up?

Thanks

Me like it too!

OH HELL YEAH!!! definatley wanting some of that!!!

I have not applied any smoothing yet, as I'm unsure of what the best way to go about doing this is.

I feel that I can complete the rest of the model without problems. Having looked at UVW texturing, I beleive I can handle that has well. Beyond this though, I am clueless. Information for getting aircraft animated propery, components named properly, and into Strike Fighters, is spread out and sometimes non existent. If anyone knows of some quality resources detailing the process I would love to know where they are.

Lastly, does anyone know how the control surfaces on the wing are set up?

Okay, let me give you the quick and dirty things I've learned so far in modeling.

First, give all your parts a name...make sure there are no spaces within the name (LeftWing as an example). I've had problems referencing stuff when the part had a name with a space in it.

Secondly, I usually use auto smoothing (dialog box underneath the 'Smooth' parameter).

Third, after you've defined each part (mesh), select each part and use the 'Reset XForm' parameter. Make sure you haven't animated or linked it yet. Then collapse all the parameters you've applied. Basically, this 'resets' the part for future stuff.

Now, after you've done all that, you're ready to start animating and linking.

First, go to each part you plan to animate OR that moves and select it. Then go to the 'Heirarchy' tab (looks like a box connected to 3 little boxes). Make sure Pivot is selected. Then hit the 'Affect Pivot Only' button. Assuming the model is aligned properly (Left view shows the left side, Top view shows the top, and Front view shows the BACK of the aircraft) you should now see an axis marker (looks like 3 arrows in red, green, blue) with Green pointing forward, Red pointing right, Blue pointing up. If they aren't pointing in the proper directions, or it's not on the object, hit the 'Center To Object' and 'Align to World' buttons (you shouldn't have to do this if you've already done a Reset XForm).

Now, this is important. The following is for parts that the engine animates (rudders, ailerons, slats, wheels). That little axis marker determines where the part is going to rotate around AND what axis it's going to rotate on (assuming you don't animate it). Which is critical for rudders, ailerons, slats, wheels, anything that the engine animates itself. Move that axis marker to where you want the part to rotate around (as an example, for a wheel, the axis marker should be where the axle would be). Also, align one of the axes along the rotation center (as an example, for a wheel, the Red axis would be aligned as if it's the 'axle' the wheel rotates around - another example, is for a rudder, the Blue axis would work for the rudder to rotate around). You may have to rotate the axis marker as well as move it to get it right (an example would be a F-18 rudder...the Blue axis must still align with the rudder axis...which means it won't be pointing straight up and down).

Do this for all parts that the engine animates.

Now, lets start linking!

Take a look at a aircraft's OUT file. If you look closely, you'll see a list of parts, but arranged in a specific way. Like the outline of a document. That's the way the meshes have to be linked. For instance, the Fuselage would be the 'parent' mesh, then the 'LeftWing', then the 'LeftAileron'. Like this:

Fuselage

LeftWing

LeftAileron

The idea is if you lose the wing, you lose the aileron as well. And if you lose the Fuselage, you lose everything. There can only be one overall parent mesh, with everything else linking to it.

So start linking...keeping it logical like you would think. Again, use another aircraft OUT file to see what it should look like.

Animation time!

You should only need animation for things the engine doesn't move itself (landing gear - not the wheels, canopies, flaps, speedbrake, etc).

The aircraft needs to start at frame zero completely clean (gear and flaps up, all canopies closed). The frame counter is at the bottom of the 3ds max window...looks like a ruler.

There can be a max of 10 animations. Each animation takes up 10 frames and counts from x1 to (x+1)0. In other words, frame 0 is the 'clean' jet, frames 1-10 are landing gear, frames 11-20 are canopies, etc.

More to come later...

FastCargo

Wow, exactly the kind of advice I was looking for FastCargo, thanks! :good:

So the name of a part is just for my own reference. I thought it might have been like is MSFS where naming the part meant the simulator automatically animated it propery, as long as you had the pivot in the proper place.

Once again, thanks for the help, I'll save this all and look forward to more.

This looks amazing...i spent 3-4 weeks working an an aurora and my work is here to show for it...sucks though(my aurora)...ive been put to shame... LOL :good:

Edited by i90807065

Hey thats cool! Looks like the ADFX-01 Morgan from Ace Combat Zero.

Actually...I think the YF-19 looked good enough in the fighter mode by itself.

I would love to see this thing square off against an F-22.

Once again someone puts be completely to shame with their skills, beautiful</br>

Hmm, I wonder if I can get my beriev to transform into a giant robot?</br>

B E A f***in' utiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY!!!

Great work Grinch, definitely waitin' for it!!!

If you need a tester, well here I am!!!

Just ask for anything you may need, I'd be very proud to help!!!

Cheers and thanks again!!!

hide86

Wow, this thing is looking great already!!! :ok::clapping::clapping::clapping::good:

Nice plane indeed! Is definitely worth having only as a fighter!! Can't wait for it!!!

Hey thats cool! Looks like the ADFX-01 Morgan from Ace Combat Zero.

Thats what i thought it was

Thanks for all the comments guys, I really appreciate it. :biggrin:

Thought I'd share this update.

gallery_10543_38_18190.jpg

I've put a rough cockpit in, which turned out to be rather difficult as the references were slim to none. Luckily I have the "Valkyries" art book and that has a decent picture of the cockpit. I also went and applied the smoothing groups using FastCargo's advice of auto smooth. Its looking pretty good on that end, and it helped me spot a few errors I was able to "wax" out. Next up is building the landing gear.

Looking good, Grinch. I've always loved the Alpha One. I guess I should finish up my UN forces (Spacey, AF, Navy, Marines) decals and post them.

I'll look in my copy of Kawamori's Design Works book. It should have cockpit design drawings for the YF-19 and I'll get some scans for you.

Looking good, Grinch. I've always loved the Alpha One. I guess I should finish up my UN forces (Spacey, AF, Navy, Marines) decals and post them.

I'll look in my copy of Kawamori's Design Works book. It should have cockpit design drawings for the YF-19 and I'll get some scans for you.

Thanks Talos, it would help a bunch. If you find anything on the landing gear in there that'd help too.

Here you go:

yf19cockpitwz2.th.jpg

Cockpit references

yf19landinggearfn9.th.jpg

Landing Gear references

aircraftchartjx3.th.png

And, just because I can, some of my plane drawings that incorporate a lot of Macross elements and components.

Here you go:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4811/yf...ckpitwz2.th.jpg

Cockpit references

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4664/yf...ggearfn9.th.jpg

Landing Gear references

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6708/ai...chartjx3.th.png

And, just because I can, some of my plane drawings that incorporate a lot of Macross elements and components.

Oh wow, I didn't even know these pictures existed, these are great! Thanks man! :clapping:

You're welcome, dude. Let me know if there's anything else you need.

@Talos: Can you draw a 3 side view of the F-27c Warhawk II,please? looks interessting

Edited by dast24