Dear GrinchWSLG,

Its cool that you are making a 3D model of the YF-19. I see that you are following the design from the Hasegawa 1/72 model kit. However the Hasegawa design is cool for a static fighter mode only model, if you want to make a transformable model the plans from the Yamato 1/60 kit is more 'accurate' (relatively speaking since the YF-19 Alpha One design was never shown in that much detail in the anime, especially for the important parts and that the creator of the YF-19 never produced detailed line arts.)

The Hasegawa kit added the missing details with their own guesswork ideas, not their fault as artwork, line drawings, etc of those missing parts were never shown in the first place. As for the Yamato kit, it does try to follow precisely as much as possible to what we had actually seen in the Anime OVA, and since it is a transformable model I think it is more accurate/realistic in terms of some of the dimensions (whereas the Hasegawa kit feels too small/skinny in some places for all the internal components of the YF-19 to fit). An example is the Neck/Belly area behind the cockpit, where it is thin and slender for the Hasegawa kit but thicker with the Yamato (to make room for the landing gear and transforming capability).

Anyway I not criticizing your work, it's a great thing you are doing, I just wanted to inform you of the differences between the model kits' designs. If the models aren't accurate, blame the creator Kawamori for not making diagrams, artwork which shows all the details.

Here is a review about the Yamato model: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/Y...F-19_review.htm

Edited by MysteriouX

Well, he made it clear that he would be building a non-transformable version of the YF-19 (in other words, as just a fighter), so most people think it will suffice for now.

I always enjoyed Macross for the spiffy aircraft. Whenever they transformed into giant fighting robots I always got really impatient.

Almost as impatient as I get with badly dubbed "relationship building" scenes.

Yukikaze is all but unwatchable, save for the flying. One more lingering look between the main character and his "commander" and I was going to hurl a bottle of Jeremiah Weed through my TV!

But seriously, great aircraft and modeling, I'm really excited about this one!

I could probably build a flying paper model of that if I had a schematic of it.

Edited by THEJETDEMON

Yukikaze is all but unwatchable, save for the flying. One more lingering look between the main character and his "commander" and I was going to hurl a bottle of Jeremiah Weed through my TV!

Some call it the Brokeback air force.

*shudders* thinks of something manly, like volleyball *shudders again*

...I was going to hurl a bottle of Jeremiah Weed through my TV!

That's a waste of a perfectly good bottle of Weed...

FastCargo

Well, maybe I'd use it do disinfect my eyeballs after watching, but knowing that stuff, it probably CAUSES infections.

Seriously though, after the right number of other drinks at the XL club, it DOES taste pretty sweet.

Tastes like... victory.

Laughlin??

You poor soul...I spent 6 years of my career there....

FastCargo

What's this? Booze and Chair Force in my thread? I don't think so. :biggrin:

Dear GrinchWSLG,

Its cool that you are making a 3D model of the YF-19. I see that you are following the design from the Hasegawa 1/72 model kit. However the Hasegawa design is cool for a static fighter mode only model, if you want to make a transformable model the plans from the Yamato 1/60 kit is more 'accurate'...

Of the many images I looked at while referencing the model the Yamato "toy" came up quite often. In fact, I'd even looked into buying it once. However, like you said, Yamato had to make some design sacrifices to maintain the ability to transform. The end result is something that looks like a version of the YF-19 that had a few too many twinkies. The shape is just all wrong IMO and its not graceful or sexy looking at all, which is what the original YF-19 design screams out to me.

Also, Hasegawa were the only ones to produce a plan view of the aircraft, although it was only 2 view, it did offer both top and bottom along with the side view. This was essential in modelling the aircraft. I also beleive that Hasegawa's design is the most faithful to the YF-19 as it was shown in the movie, barring the transformation aspects. Also, it was noted earlier by someone else, this was never meant to be a transforming model. I didn't have the skill or patience for it, its pointless in this game engine, and I personally believe attempts at tranforming valkyries are the reason we don't have any released for SF yet.

Thanks for your views though. I have to admit though, if I DID make a transforming YF-19, I'd still use the Hasegawa plans and work it out from there.

Yukikaze was just like Pearl Harbor, just skip to the action scenes and its a great show, watch the whole thing and you'll want to rip your eyeballs out.

------------------------------------------------------

On a more serious note (as can be seen by the usage of a dashed line of seriousness seperation) I'm open to the idea of bringing someone in to develop the panel/avionics for this project. This may seem a bit unfair from someone who's a noob modder but I'm going to have to require that this person have some experience in cockpit/panel creation. Also, I'll forewarn that this cockpit pushes the bounds of what the game can really do in terms of HUDs, so I'm looking for someone interested in trying new things. PM me if your interested, be sure to include links to your previous work.

Also an experienced FM...um...builder? creator? Arteest? would be helpful.

These positions don't HAVE to be filled for me to complete the project, they'll just help me complete it in a faster time period. I consider the YF-19 my baby, but I really want to get this out for you guys, and I know I'm terrible at finishing these projects of mine. Also, my life isn't exactly uh, predictable at this point, so it'd be nice to have someone working on something while I'm running around with my hair on fire.

Hey its cool with me if it takes another...oh i dunno...two months or so 'cause I wont have SFP1 or WoI until then...so...take your time :biggrin:

Actually, that's not entirely true about the Hasegawa model being the only source of plan views. There was a top and side view of the YF-19 done in the "This is Animation: Macross Plus" book.

yf193bs4.th.jpgyf194vz0.th.jpgyf195fn4.th.jpg

Yukikaze was just like Pearl Harbor, just skip to the action scenes and its a great show, watch the whole thing and you'll want to rip your eyeballs out.

... Well I liked it

*cradles Yukikaze boxset*

I'm new here i hope someone those make one.

Darn, I came across this by accident and registered soon as I saw the first pics in the thread!

Awesome work... Grinch is probably busy with FAA stuff.

Anyway I'm looking for more Macross type meshes and was hoping once finished it might be possible to secure usage of the vf-19 mesh?

Even though I'm the Dev of the Robotech Mod II project, I also write a crossover fanfic and use many of the Genre's series... (RT/MaII/M7).

For that effort I use the FS2 engine (FRED) to set up situations and take a screenshots for main events that happen in major chapters.

One of the shots I have planned is for Basara to fly through Galactica and of course that will be the moment when Tigh screams "The Music's in the Fraking ship!!!" :)

In case you didn't know, once the source code got released the SCP began and can now allow medium poly (up to 60kish) models for main ships and HTL lighting. Enviromental, glow and shine mapping and soon bump mapping.

IF you tried any of the babylon 5 mods you have a good idea of what the new capabilities are, the newest mod BSG: Beyond the Red line Demo blew away people at Sci-fi.com.

It's still limited, but it's nothing like any game 10+ years old!

I hope Grinch doesn't mind, but I'd like to link a few pics.

I'm trying to get "Sound force" together so if he has a vf-17 (Ray) I'd kill for it! :)

Here is a good example of what the new tweaked engine is capable of and why MACROSS would look so good in it: Yes these are all cap ships(30 per side?) between 5k and 12k and no fighters going all out, that's why he has 8FPS!!! Cause he literally had the Dominion war battle on his comp!

fbbd.jpg

Super VF1j's in all 3 modes

3modes2.jpg

Atmo/ground model test:

gw3.jpg

Apologies if these were unwarrented.

IF a possible exchange could be possible, that would be great!

ATM I have some rather low poly vf-19's/2k (including Excal-S) and a decent vf-11/3k

Oh and I am not a modeler, just a voice actor and project leader. I sometimes just get lucky when I can get resources people let me use...

Sorry for the lack of anything guys. My life went through some big ups and downs lately. As it is I've recieved my facility assignement (Spokane International) so I'm buried in paperwork and travelling all over doing physicals and medicals. Truth is, even if I wasn't super busy, I'm not sure I could finish this, the cockpit modelling is way over my head. I was really hoping someone would take me up on my offer to help me finish this but I never got any biters. I think in the end my talents only lie in modelling/skinning and not so much in cockpit creation and flight modelling. :smile:

Anyhow, my previous offer for help still stands. Lets say if nobody offers before I move out to Spokane I'll try to remember to just upload what I have. Thanks for the interest guys, it means a lot. Sorry for not being able to finish this like I had wanted to.

Whatta expect from a scope dope... :biggrin:

Just kidding!! Glad to see things (I assume) are looking up in terms of a job...I assume tower or ATC controller out there at KGEG? Been there more than a few times...pretty nice during the summer.

I can understand your reluctance to finish the cockpit. The T-38A and AT-38B cockpits drained all my enthusiasm from my project, and they're not even skinned yet (though they are mapped). Not to mention the T-38C, plus any possible F-5 variants...

The FM actually isn't too bad to get something fairly workable...especially if you can base it on an existing aircraft...cockpits are far more tedious (not hard...just really tedious).

Good luck and thanks for the update!

FastCargo

Well I'm sure we could come up with a decent cockpit for it.

Whatta expect from a scope dope... :biggrin:

Just kidding!! Glad to see things (I assume) are looking up in terms of a job...I assume tower or ATC controller out there at KGEG? Been there more than a few times...pretty nice during the summer.

I can understand your reluctance to finish the cockpit. The T-38A and AT-38B cockpits drained all my enthusiasm from my project, and they're not even skinned yet (though they are mapped). Not to mention the T-38C, plus any possible F-5 variants...

The FM actually isn't too bad to get something fairly workable...especially if you can base it on an existing aircraft...cockpits are far more tedious (not hard...just really tedious).

Good luck and thanks for the update!

FastCargo

Yeah, KGEG Tower. I'm assuming its an up/down so I guess I'll be sent back for radar training in a year. :glare:

Breezed past my physical today, still waiting on finger print cards in the mail. Was originally hoping for somewhere in Seattle, like Paine Tower, but I'm just happy to have a tower, and from what I've been hearing Spokane is really nice. Now if I could just find a place to live there.

If I can remember still in a week or two when things die down again I'll try to package this up and give it a temp cockpit. Weapon systems were on the list after cockpit so I'll have to look into that as well, mostly figuring out how the hardpoints work.

Spokane is a cool little `burg, been hangin' around here for about 8 years now.

Big enough to have the major outlets here, yet small enough to not be a traffic gridlock nightmare. Much.

You'll probably zip past the place I work at on your way to work on the Sunset hill, as it is called hereabouts.

Not sure where you're coming from, but it is a 4 seasons climate, the longest is winter, of course. The Summer's are great,

with a lot of lakes in the area.

Mellow enough airport, with flights scheduled in clumps, `twould seem. Real busy for a bit, then dead for a while. I see approaches

from my smoking area at work, as we're 3 - 4 miles east, as the plane flies. Fairchild AFB is just a few miles north and west, so you'll

see the odd KC-135 on a parallel approach occasionally.

Anyway, good luck out here, and drop me a PM if you have any quaetions...

Spectre,

Heck man, I've been out to GEG plenty of times...I'll let you know next time I'm in town and we'll go have a frosty beverage...they usually put us up downtown on the river just across from the park.

FastCargo