Sign in to follow this  
Guest pfunkmusik

Why do my City Transition Textures do this?

Guest pfunkmusik

Athens.jpg

Why do I end up with the giant inlet to the right of this city when dry ground used to be there?

pfunk

Looks like you might be missing a set of 3-way transition tiles, or they are not defined or referenced properly.

That happens to me. You have 4 terrain types here: forest, sea, city, and field. In this tight a space, you may need to 3way all four types, which could get rather involved.

Guest pfunkmusik
Looks like you might be missing a set of 3-way transition tiles, or they are not defined or referenced properly.

That happens to me. You have 4 terrain types here: forest, sea, city, and field. In this tight a space, you may need to 3way all four types, which could get rather involved.

Cool. Guess a lot of this is gonna hafta be done by hand. Had no idea just how much.

But I want it to be right, as in, dead-ass on kind of 'right'.

pfunk

Right. Lacking the proper 3-way transition tile, the TE fills in with something else...usually the first tile type listed. This error seems to get extended in long lines as you find in your screenshot. Good to know -- if TE lacks a needed 2-way transition, the primary is not even plotted. I had this happen a few days ago but I guessed I might be missing a 2-way and I was right. It was the *last* thing I thought of.

I hope an advanced TE would automatically generate 3-way transition tiles for two reasons. In some ways, they are more simple than 2-way transitions. A 3-way transition can be nicely approximated with a tile divided into a long rectangle (the primary tile type) and two blocks (the second and third "transition to" tile types). The main problem with 3-ways is there are potentially so many needed. I once derived (I think) a formula for unrestricted tile population growth, and the 3-ways explode in number astronomically, far more than even 2-ways.

By unrestricted I mean no trying to keep tile types away from each other. I look for opportunities of this to avoid some 3-way requirements.

Hey thats great realestate across from the city there. Water front property.

Why are your transition textures normal looking?

Or more correctly, why do mine look screwed up? Mine have the land portion being solid white, I figure its a bug when they were made bmps from tgas and that's how they just showed up, but I must have done something wrong.