Sign in to follow this  
MigBuster

1 Brand new TU-160 enters service

Those planes are huge they may look like a B-1B but it is a lot bigger.

Edited by MAKO69

And they have a lot more power than the B-1 etc etc. Good for Russia, I for one would love to see 200+ nuclear capable TU-160's.

Edited by Atreides

What would they need that many nuclear capable bombers for?

The US doesn't even have 100.

Man! 11,000 mile range...holy moley! Good for Russia??? What good can possibly come from 200 frikken bombers? The world has enough already.

What would they need that many nuclear capable bombers for?

The US doesn't even have 100.

To one day use Iran and Pakistan as a bombing range :biggrin:

SORRI FOR BAD ENGLISH, be cause I'm russian, but

Don't fear Tu-160 today we hawe only 17 planes in service, and modification only in project.

BUT NEW Tu-22M will be your nightmare!!! ground radar 400 km range and 6 m resolution, kh-35, nuke missiles and bombs, precision weapons etc.

200 - 300 planes will be modified for this standart. RUSSIA IS NOT AGRESSOR BUT WHITOUT POWER, WE WILL BE VICTIM.

POWER CREATE FREEDOM !!!

SORRI FOR BAD ENGLISH, be cause I'm russian, but

Don't fear Tu-160 today we hawe only 17 planes in service, and modification only in project.

BUT NEW Tu-22M will be your nightmare!!! ground radar 400 km range and 6 m resolution, kh-35, nuke missiles and bombs, precision weapons etc.

200 - 300 planes will be modified for this standart. RUSSIA IS NOT AGRESSOR BUT WHITOUT POWER, WE WILL BE VICTIM.

POWER CREATE FREEDOM !!!

Backfire is still a regional plane, not intercontinental. The Blackjack can reach just about anywhere and then launch a package of cruise missiles.

The combination of modernized Backfires for regional use and Blackjacks for intercontinental is already a very potent force and one we watch closely.

I dunno, I'm with lindr2 on this one. Modernised Tu-22s with comtemprary Russian avionics/weapons systems popping up unannounced or decking targets from standoff ranges would be pretty freakin scary. K, the Tu-160 is a very capable machine, there's a hell of a lot more Tu-22s either in storage or in service.

Just a question about these two though, I know the Tu-22M3/4 didn't have an in flight refueling capacity dues to the SALT deals, but have they been equipped since? They're predominantly conventional bombers these days, I don't see why the SALT limitations would apply now. For that matter, what about the Tu-160. I thought I had seen snaps of an in flight probe and drouge system, but I could be wrong... damned cold has me a bit sketched out!! :blink:

I dunno, I'm with lindr2 on this one. Modernised Tu-22s with comtemprary Russian avionics/weapons systems popping up unannounced or decking targets from standoff ranges would be pretty freakin scary. K, the Tu-160 is a very capable machine, there's a hell of a lot more Tu-22s either in storage or in service.

modernized Tu-22M's as opposed to modernized and new production Tu-160's?

also depends on the target. The Backfires are optimized for anti-carrier ops and regional strikes. The Tu-160 is optimized for a very different role. The range is the other key difference. The Blackjack can go where the Backfire can only dream of....

"there's a hell of a lot more Tu-22s either in storage" yea - obsolete ones..... good for AMRAAM's!!

refueling is good question. :dntknw:

I remember a 10 years old video in which the speaker claimed that Russia has many hundred Backfires in service(300-400). That's too much, I think...the real number could near 30-40. Does anyone here have more reliable info? I'm a bit confused.

I remember a 10 years old video in which the speaker claimed that Russia has many hundred Backfires in service(300-400). That's too much, I think...the real number could near 30-40. Does anyone here have more reliable info? I'm a bit confused.

Tu-22M0 Prototype

Tu-22M1 Prototype

Tu-22M2 211 planes in years 1974-1984

Tu-22M3 268 planes in years 1983-1993

for current info, not on open sources.

"there's a hell of a lot more Tu-22s either in storage" yea - obsolete ones..... good for AMRAAM's!!

Well... technically that statement's true. :biggrin: :biggrin: If you include the one rusting at the end of runways... :tongue:

Talk about confusing - Seems the TU-22M Backfire is derived from the TU-22 Blinder - how? more like they threw the TU-22 drawing in the bin (but kept the Red stars) and just built an entirely new jet from scratch!

Guest pfunkmusik

It's amazing what $110/bbl. of oil will do for an economy once on the brink of collapse.

pfunk

Rather, what Putin has been complaining about (something like their customers flying the most advanced versions of aircraft they produce (see: India and Malaysia for the Su-30MKI/MKM) and they are not doing the same...considering that they have less than 10 Su-35es in service at one time, which is lesser even the Su-30MKMs (ours along with the Indian MKIs are considered more like Su-35es) we're operating).

Rather, what Putin has been complaining about (something like their customers flying the most advanced versions of aircraft they produce (see: India and Malaysia for the Su-30MKI/MKM) and they are not doing the same...considering that they have less than 10 Su-35es in service at one time, which is lesser even the Su-30MKMs (ours along with the Indian MKIs are considered more like Su-35es) we're operating).

Su-30 MKK ,MKM, MKI, Su-27SK etc It's ONLY export planes. Not for RUSSIA air Force, be cause letter 'K' in names - "Kommercheskiy" - Commercical. Su-35 is yesterday also, first Su-35 created in 1989-90. WE DON'T NEED THIS PLANES. NOW. Today we work about new su plane V generation, this work will be ended in short time. Su-34 production started, Tu-22M, Tu-95, Tu-160, Su-24M, Su-27, Mig-29 update starting now, MiG-31M with R-37 missiles (280km max range) may be started in service, i think this enough.

Speaking of which...any word about the PAK-FA (or any of the 5th generation fighters from Sukhoi)?

PAK-FA is still in progress, but when it will have first flight, let alone enter service, is anyone's guess.

I was unaware the MiG-31M program was still going, I thought at this point Russia was going to standardize on 29s for short range and 27s for long range.