Sign in to follow this  
Brain32

Which airbases would be a must have on Balkans map?

...that looks like this:

EDIT: Updated image with cities and airbases on second page!

The ones I will add for sure:

First and foremost, airports of all the capital cities of countries on the map(Rome, Vienna, Budapest,Ljubljana,Zagreb,Sarajevo, Beograd,Skopje,Podgorica,Athens,Sofia,Bukurest)

Other airfields:

1. Aviano (Italy)

2. Rijeka airport(Croatia)

3. Zadar airport(Croatia)

4. Split airport(Croatia)

5. Udbina airport(Croatia)

6. Osijek airport(Croatia)

7. Banja Luka airport(Bosnia and Hercegovina)

Now as you can see the thing is other than airfields from my country and well known Aviano airbase, I'm totally unfamiliar with other important airports in the region.

Basically if I was to take orders I would need:

About 4 airfields for Italy

About 4 airfields for Serbia

Maybe one more for BiH

A few for Greece

Atleast one for Turkey(as I don't have a lot of Turkey anyway)

Since this is campaign building forum, I thought it's proabably the best place to ask because if someone is ever to make a campaign on my map, it will most probably be you guys...

Edited by Brain32

Damn I was waiting for this so long looks damn good! Would say we can use the bases that`s are used in AF

AF?

EDIT:

Ahh you mean Falcon4: Allied Force?

Well I don't have that game and have no clue which airfields they have in it, if you can just pull the names out I'll Google for location :)

Edited by Brain32

Don't think Turkey will be usable on that map....it's beyond "The Wall".

Remember, 80km in from the map edge is where it starts.

But, if you really want to add more than Aviano (obviously!), based on what I'm doing to the Libya ver3,

-Sicly-

Trapani Brigi

NAS Sigonella

Catania

-Italy-

Tito Minniti (at the toe of the boot)

probably someting at 'the heel' of the boot

-Greece-

Andravida

I'm sure there are others usable in Western Greece. I'll have to look.

You want country flags for it??? Easy enough to make

Wrench

kevin stein

Thx Wrench that's exactly the kind of info I needed. I only need more bases for Serbia now.

Also I didn't know the invisible wall is that big, was hoping for some Greece-Turkey action...

I still have A LOT of tiling work...

Don`t forget the airport on creta,it`s used by military also and in 98 there where starting Mirages to figh int cosovo, was there on my holiday.

Here you go Brain, the list of airports from F4 AF

gallery_26551_163_390927.jpg

Nice!!! Reggio Calabria is 'aka' Tito Minnitti.

Wrench

kevin stein

Brain, is that 1000km? The EAWEuro terrain is 1500km, although alot of it was left unused.

Guest pfunkmusik

Batajnica AB, near Novi Sad.

pfunk

This is 1200km wide. Still the wall problems for the west side.

Probably have to combine 4 des files to extend out.. havent tried.

post-30257-1209853825_thumb.jpg

Got the TuAF Jet Bases, the Greek ones are not all correct. Had them all too, forgot to save :D

post-30257-1209854070_thumb.jpg

Anatolian landscape is very rough, mountains and hills, also ofcourse tidal waves..

Definetely Aviano, for NATO ops

Ghedi, in between Verona and Brescia (home of Tornado Squadrons)

Istrana, less or more by Treviso (AMX)

Going along the adriatic, we have CERVIA, (F-16)

Rimini, used to host NAto ops, and F-104, now it an Army helicopter base, but in wartime would be used since it has 3.2 km runway

Ancona, used by RAF tankers

Much more south almost at the heel of the boot, Amendola (AMX) and Gioia del COlle (tornado)

Along with Decimomannu in sardinia, Trapani in sicily, Grosseto on the tirrenian sea, Piacenza (tornado again, and up in the north south of Milan), Pisa (C-130 and G-222) those are the main base that oe would expect to see in a Italy-Yugolasvia scenario

Tuzla and Brindisi are a must for the AFSOC assets. We were home based at Brindisi, but we forward deployed our CSAR helos to Tuzla once things kicked off. The AC-130 and MC-130s were left at Brindisi and supported us from there.

KC-135s were staged from Istres, France, but that is well out of range of the map.

Storm

Croatia has a heli and fighter base in Split (on the coast) which should be proper.

In Bosnia, the central airport of Sarajevo is a goody, as well as in Mostar!

Pureblue and brain, perhaps we should collaborate. All three of us are building terrains covering the same general area. Mine is a bit farther East and North to cover all of the Black Sea and Ukraine. It'd be a waste to have such overlap and three maps, each with different airfields targets and terrain tiling.

post-7445-1209927703_thumb.jpg

Pureblue and brain, perhaps we should collaborate. All three of us are building terrains covering the same general area. Mine is a bit farther East and North to cover all of the Black Sea and Ukraine. It'd be a waste to have such overlap and three maps, each with different airfields targets and terrain tiling.

Thanks to Gepard's article, its very easy to get started on a terrain/campaign project, but much time needs to be spent afterwards, planning and relaying the targets, tiles and all that, plus ofcourse tens of times of rebuilding from scratch - after figuring something new :rofl:

Right now I'm just exploring the modding side of the TK series, its as much fun as flying.

I tried to get the whole Turkish borders and quite a few neighbors involved, it came out as a 1800km map!

Put in some airfields with targets here and there. After lots of editing, head scracthing, coffee and smokes I get to fly over familiar territory, taking off of real airbases in my country with a F-4E 2020 Terminator that I have been working on.. Fun Stuff!

I'll definetly be willing to contribute some airfield/city/target/etc work.

The map I have currently is probably way too big.. Just a good discovery journey for me, dont know what it will turn out to be :biggrin:

post-30257-1209935313_thumb.jpg

Well thx for the input guys this will help a lot. Anyway my terrain is standard size, I don't know how terrain size influences performance.

Other than that what will not be standard is tileset I'm making for it, let's say that the way it started I'l be happy if it ends at or even slightly below 200 hi-res tiles since I planned A LOT of variation which is actually needed to show that part of the planet more correctly.

Anyway, maybe making 3 separate terrains is better, merging them together and adding another part(Libya for example) would make the project super huge. However that does not mean we can't help each other ;)

Well until the targets and cities are started( or hand tuning tiles) it doesn't take much to resize a map. 2 would be best, all the way covering all of Ukraine, some of russia, all the way west to Italy, covering the whole of Turkey and greece would be almost as daunting as Lexx's half the world map.

This is the point where I'm wishing TK had gone with a whole world map like MSFS. Where we could place targets and they could be the same no matter what the area of operations.

Tilesets were an area I was extremely worried about, maybe we can all use the same set?

Edited by eraser_tr

Do not worry about tiles, we can always arrange something, just keep it slowly as it goes. I whish I had my present tehnique back when I was unemployed, had a wagonload of free time back then, ah well...steady as it goes :D

Oh I've got to worry about them, they really should be done before I start placing cities, targets and airfields so the actual land is out of the way.

I've got to transition from egypt and israel as desert all the way to Ukraine. AFAIK I've got to combine and edit texturelists and I'm going to need a ton of brand new transition textures. (and alot of hand tweaking the tiles)

what about Piacenza AB?

:biggrin:

Canadair gives right data,In Istrana at that time there was f-104's plus Nato squadrons (french,british etc..) in some bases here in Italy (Istrana and Gioia del Colle) plus I want to add Casarsa della Delizia,near Pordenone a base for Italian Army Aviation,were took off and ab-206 with UN markings (the only one shoot down by a strella) on the first shots of the warfare :salute:

Guest Sony Tuckson

Still in Italy, you can add Amendola where Belgian and Dutch vipers deployed under the Joint Falcon mission (initially based at Verona-Villafranca, they later moved south to this AMX base)