I`m now working on the F-222 a fictive advanced F-111 modell and have some minor questions about some things.

First of all, how can I adjust the moving, rotate and scale tools, when a object is selected and I want to rotate it around a specific edge?!

2. How to animate geardorrs and weaponbaydoors with rails like in the YF-23

3. Have no idea about UV mapping in 3ds max ....

I`m asking to learn those things, would be good to have some help of the more advanced users.

Thank you very much :notworthy:

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

I guess 1...is for say flaps or ailerons...

Do this.....go to top view,and select pivot by clicking affect pivot only....move the pivot centre over edge of the mesh.....then using the rotate tool...rotate the pivot so it aligns to the mesh front edge......

then still in affect pivot only mode....go to the front view of the mesh....centre the pivot to the middle of the mesh.....and align the pivot in that view.....

then when ur happy its set correct....deselect pivot.....

go to local view...select the mesh...and when you rotate the mesh in X axis...the flap\aileron should be set correctly.....if not ...go back and do as above and adjust as required....

2...gear doors and weapon bay doors are the same.....align the pivot as above...to the edge the doors hinges would be in reality...using same process as above.......(make sure in all cases,you keep the door or flap or aileron in closed position when testing...or it wont be iin correct attitude).as for the rails...you may have to animate these as required...not sure how they operate so you may need the info from who has actually modelled them....

3...uv mapping can be explained a bit when you are nearer to it...saves some confusion with too much info all at once...lol

hope this goes some way to help you...I may have an old model you can load up to see how ive done the bits...

btw

btw....Ailerons,rudder...dont need animating...

only items such as....gear,gear doors,airbrakes,flaps,slats...bomb bays, bombay doors,chutes,nozzles...and canopy...need animation.....

Russ

Edited by russouk2004

How can I animtae those geardoor when they consists of two parts?! And can I link the front geardooranimation with the rear one so when I open the front, the rear would open too in max?!

you can link the second door to the first....yes....and animate it to operate in its unique way too...

You link one mesh to another thus....select the mesh you want to attach to another mesh......click on the icon with small chain on...(top left of main toolbar).....then click the mesh agin,then click on the mesh you want to link it to....done....

Ok thanks will try it, next question is how to get a modell in the game?! maybe a gunpod or a pilot, I have downloaded the right plugin and now how to use it to create this LOD?! This is a step by step learning process for me .. thanks for all your help!!

Ok thanks will try it, next question is how to get a modell in the game?! maybe a gunpod or a pilot, I have downloaded the right plugin and now how to use it to create this LOD?! This is a step by step learning process for me .. thanks for all your help!!

first of all place the plugin file in the plugins folder in your studio max folder

On MAX click on the hammer on the right, then click on More which will open another window, scroll down to the thirdwire exporter and click then click on export no decals on botom ps make sure to export lod to the right folder :wink:

Edited by Veltro2k

How can I flip faces?! Without building the thing agani ... I did a misstake in modelling with polys and now I recognize to late that I can`t see the modell cause of wrong modelling the polys. How can I change the visible sides?!

How can I flip faces?! Without building the thing agani ... I did a misstake in modelling with polys and now I recognize to late that I can`t see the modell cause of wrong modelling the polys. How can I change the visible sides?!

Select the mesh....then select all its polys in editable mesh mode....then flip faces that are dark red...(scroll down below modifier window on right side and find the flip tool button).......check the mesh texture is double sided...or check its properties...and un check cull backfaces

just wanted to add.. use your google many free tutorials out there :ok:

Edited by Veltro2k

Thanks, Yes I know there are some good tutorials, but when a specific problem appear, I can`t search trough all the tutorials to find the solution. As I said I work with Maya and 3dsmaxis a lot different to use than maya. But thank you all. Hope it`s ok to post here my questions, cause of so many good and expwerienced 3dsmax users!

How can I animtae those geardoor when they consists of two parts?! And can I link the front geardooranimation with the rear one so when I open the front, the rear would open too in max?!

SF engine processes the animations in time slots, so everything between frame 1 and 10 is animation id 1, between 11 and 20 is animation id 2 and so on up to animation id 10. Frame 0 is for the plane in clean flight configuration.

If you want to open both gear doors at the same time you only need to animate them in the same time frame, the rest is done via data.ini were you assign an animation id to a specific action. The parts don't need to be linked (except for hyerarchy) together or rigged with bones.

I'm not a seasoned veteran but if you have any problems just send me a pm and I'll help you figure it out.