Sign in to follow this  
malibu43

Harriers back flip off of Tarawa

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it.

I added the USS Tarawa to a campaign with AV-8A's on it. But when I release the break, the aircraft balloons up in the air and starts back flipping and eventually crashes. AI all do the same thing. Is there a fix for this?

Guest pfunkmusik
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it.

I added the USS Tarawa to a campaign with AV-8A's on it. But when I release the break, the aircraft balloons up in the air and starts back flipping and eventually crashes. AI all do the same thing. Is there a fix for this?

If there is, I haven't found one. It's mostly for helos, unfortunately.

pfunk

If there is, I haven't found one. It's mostly for helos, unfortunately.

pfunk

Well, I was able to fix it (kind of) by changing the second value for the end point for all 6 CAT's to about 175.01. This means the jet is on the cat until well past the bow, but the player aircraft and all the AI will get airborne. Unfortunately, executing a standard fixed wing carrier landing was very difficult (I couldn't do it successfully...). I did get a near perfect vertical landing, but since aircraft don't handle normally on aircraft carrier decks, the plane started bouncing around and blew up as soon as I touched down.

So I changed the base for the squadron back to Da Nang, and I'm giving up on flying harriers off and AC Carrier for now...

PS - Everything seemed to work fine without any editing as long as the flight model was set on easy... but who want to do that?

Edited by malibu43

That sounds really odd. Let me check...because I've built a campaign using the USS Tawara and the AV-8C, and they work just fine last time I flew it...

FastCargo

Just flew a mission in WOI in campaign. Flew off the carrier by hand and wingies all got airborne. One thing I did do with the wingie's 'cat' shots is instead of making them long, I angled them up slightly. Simulates doing a 'jump jet' T/O since the AI can't do TV takeoffs.

Coming back, I did a normal VTOL landing. The jet was just fine once it touched down...no blow ups or anything. Even taxied clear to let the wingies land (if they could...).

I'm not sure what the issue you are having is. Are you saying ALL your aircraft handle oddly on ALL your carriers? If so, there is a deeper problem. If it's just the AV-8C and USS Tarawa, it could be something as simple as a FLIGHT_DECK issue.

FastCargo

Just flew a mission in WOI in campaign. Flew off the carrier by hand and wingies all got airborne. One thing I did do with the wingie's 'cat' shots is instead of making them long, I angled them up slightly. Simulates doing a 'jump jet' T/O since the AI can't do TV takeoffs.

Coming back, I did a normal VTOL landing. The jet was just fine once it touched down...no blow ups or anything. Even taxied clear to let the wingies land (if they could...).

I'm not sure what the issue you are having is. Are you saying ALL your aircraft handle oddly on ALL your carriers? If so, there is a deeper problem. If it's just the AV-8C and USS Tarawa, it could be something as simple as a FLIGHT_DECK issue.

FastCargo

What do you mean by "flew off by hand"? Is there a way just to take off from the carrier without using the Catapult?

I think I've always had the issue with the AV-8A (never tried AV-8C...) on carriers, whether it's the Tarawa or any other aircraft carrier. They bounce around after a VTOL landing and blow up (with flight model on hard).

What's the flight_deck issue you speak of?

Edited by malibu43

'Flew off by hand'...I set the catapult that I sit on with no length or strength to speak of...so when I release brakes, I just do a real jump jet style takeoff.

However, it also means that the number 5 guy in your flight (the guy that will appear in your 'slot') after your number 4 takes off won't get airborne...so I usually 'Alt-N' before he has a chance to appear and takeoff...he magically shows up...:).

FLIGHT_DECK is a parameter in the data.ini that sets the 'mesh' for your flight deck and sets the altitude above the ground that it is. Maybe you're colliding with the actual 'hull' of the ship?

On second thought, that probably isn't it either...disregard my FLIGHT_DECK comment.

Try the AV-8C and see what you can come up with. Also, I think there is a data.ini available that updates the Harrier FM to make it easier to ground handle...

FastCargo

'Flew off by hand'...I set the catapult that I sit on with no length or strength to speak of...so when I release brakes, I just do a real jump jet style takeoff.

However, it also means that the number 5 guy in your flight (the guy that will appear in your 'slot') after your number 4 takes off won't get airborne...so I usually 'Alt-N' before he has a chance to appear and takeoff...he magically shows up...:).

FLIGHT_DECK is a parameter in the data.ini that sets the 'mesh' for your flight deck and sets the altitude above the ground that it is. Maybe you're colliding with the actual 'hull' of the ship?

On second thought, that probably isn't it either...disregard my FLIGHT_DECK comment.

Try the AV-8C and see what you can come up with. Also, I think there is a data.ini available that updates the Harrier FM to make it easier to ground handle...

FastCargo

Thanks FC.

I downloaded the AV-8C and that seemed to work better. Takes-offs are fine now. However, after a successful VTOL landing, the plane will sit a moment and then the tires squeel and the plane does a back flip and explodes. I even tried a more traditional landing on the Tarawa, and caught the wire with the tail hook. The plane sat motionless for a second and then flipped and exploded. I don't have this problem when landing other aircraft on the normal aircraft carriers, so I'm thinking it must be an issue with either the Harriers or the Tarawa.

???

Thanks FC.

I downloaded the AV-8C and that seemed to work better. Takes-offs are fine now. However, after a successful VTOL landing, the plane will sit a moment and then the tires squeel and the plane does a back flip and explodes. I even tried a more traditional landing on the Tarawa, and caught the wire with the tail hook. The plane sat motionless for a second and then flipped and exploded. I don't have this problem when landing other aircraft on the normal aircraft carriers, so I'm thinking it must be an issue with either the Harriers or the Tarawa.

???

Do you have the FLIGHT MODEL and LANDING difficulty both set on HARD?

If I remember correctly, you just need to change LANDING to MEDIUM or less, and you'll stop flipping over on touchdown.

I don't know the reason, and haven't yet tried to figure out why.

Do you have the FLIGHT MODEL and LANDING difficulty both set on HARD?

If I remember correctly, you just need to change LANDING to MEDIUM or less, and you'll stop flipping over on touchdown.

I don't know the reason, and haven't yet tried to figure out why.

Yeah, I have everything on Hard. Maybe I'll give it a try on medium. If that fixes it, that would be great. Thanks for your help!

Just out of curiosity, what does changing the Landing difficulty actually do (with regards to all aircraft, not just the Harrier)? Does it effect the way the gear interact with the ground? Does it alter the aircraft's ability to withstand the impact of rough landings? Does it change anything in the way the aircraft handles during the approach?

edit - FWIW - changing landing to easy fixed the problem. :ok:

Edited by malibu43