Sign in to follow this  
BBQ

Demo's delayed until October

Demo's delayed until October. Looks like Wags and Stormin' got screwed by a decision coming down from UBI management.

"The interactive demo for Lock On has been completed and will be made available online in October of 2003. The demo will allow players to try their hand at flying the A-10A "Warthog" and the MiG-29A "Fulcrum." In addition to being available on the official Lock On website and several mirrors, it will also be available in December issues of several popular magazines like Computer Gaming Magazine, Computer Gaming World, and PC Gamer.

While we very first considered releasing the Lock On demo earlier, given the postponement of the game's release, it has been decided it would be best to release the demo in October to ensure a better support to the project."

OMG AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....sniff....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA...cough, cough........AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I knew this was gonna happen...lol.

You're right, they need a new PR dept.

Here's Carl's post...

As the Developer of Lock On, we at The Fighter Collection / Eagle Dynamics are tasked with creating the product while our Publisher Ubi Soft handles, among other things, the PR and Marketing responsibilities. Eagle Dynamics has submitted what we believe is the final version of the Demo to Ubi Soft. Despite a firm belief by Matt and me that the Demo would indeed be released for download this week, as well as being provided to various game magazines for inclusion on their CDs, a decision has been made by Ubi Soft management to wait on releasing the Demo online. 

One of the questions you might be asking is why all the silence for the past few days on the forum by Matt and myself. Simple: The decision to postpone the release of the demo was being discussed by Ubi Soft management. I was asked to refrain from posting further reports. Ubi Soft will now be making any future announcements concerning the demo or release dates. There was nothing Matt or I could say during the past few days as we did not know what the final decision was going to be until management made their final decision. It was out of our hands. This decision involved managers in several Ubi Soft offices in several countries. Add to the mix the fact that Ubi Soft e-mail servers were down for days because of a virus attack and you can begin to see that this process took some time to reach a final decision.

My participation here on the forums has been to represent TFC/ED and answer your questions about Lock On and be a liaison to the community regarding the status of the development of the product. I’ve always been careful not to make promises and I try to use words and phrases like “no promises,” “planned,” “scheduled” and “when it’s ready” as I understand how expectations are created and build online. I am also aware and experienced in how often and easily they can be dashed. It is for contingencies such as this one that I do not like to give dates or make promises about things for which I do not have the ultimate decision making authority. I can only be so careful when giving the community status and news. Regardless of my best intentions, some of you will feel that we let you down. That was certainly never anybody’s intention. Nobody wants the product or the Demo finished and out to the public more than we do.

It is often a two-edged sword. Many of you want information and when we give it to you, even if it is wrapped in disclaimers and conditions, some of you feel we misled you and broke a promise when something changes. From my point-of-view, it is a no-win scenario. The alternative is to just say nothing which, for me, seems more difficult and restrictive than using good sense, being professional, and ensuring that I state things are subject to change.. Certainly all of you can see now why we are leery of providing exact dates when things are always changing due to development contingencies or by decisions and variables that are out of our control.

None of this matters to any of you when, at the end of the day, you are still disappointed because something you believed in and counted on, for which you had been told was likely to happen, doesn’t actually happen as planned. No matter how carefully I worded things, you expected the demo this week and now it is not going to happen. I share your pain because my expectations have not been met either. While this decision wasn’t mine, that doesn’t make things any easier for Matt, me, or any of you.

All of you have my personal apologies for the disappointment you are feeling, especially since my regular demo status reporting, of what I believed to be the actual demo release plans, created expectations that have now been dashed. I feel terrible about it and wish there was something I could do about it.

In the future I will no longer participate in official announcements. I’ve worked very hard to answer your questions about Lock On and provide information to the community. I am happy to continue to provide information and answer questions about Lock On specifically from a content and development prospective, but as the disclaimer in my signature block indicates, I do not speak for the Publisher. I never want to be placed in this situation again. Therefore, all the official announcements on this forum will be coming directly from Ubi Soft. In hindsight it was a big mistake for me to be involved in the announcement of the demo release when I never had final control of the demo’s release. I was working closely with Matt we both thought we were doing the right thing. 

This is an unfortunate situation and I wish I could say or do something to make all of you feel better, but I can’t. I wish I was able to give you all a copy of the demo right now, but I can’t. I can understand why you are all disappointed and why some of you are angry. I have feelings about this situation as well, but I am going to keep them to myself as it would be inappropriate for me to do otherwise. This is a decision that was made at a higher level than Matt Wagner at Ubi Soft, so Matt has no other choice in this matter. He needs your support not more difficulties. Matt is also in a no-win situation regarding this demo release matter. I’m sure he is as disappointed as anyone, but we all have to remain professional and carry on. I choose to remain focused and dedicated to getting the product finished and I am confident that this is also Matt’s priority. 

Therefore, I recommend that if you have something to say about all of this, please ensure that you express your feelings in a mature and reasonable fashion. Being emotional and going on the attack will serve no useful purpose and only make more work for the Moderators. Instead, make your feelings known in a calm and reasoned manner. If you decide to provide feedback to Ubi Soft then please remember that flames, insults, and poor manners are not going to make any of this any better or get you the demo any sooner. Express your disappointment if you must, but let’s keep it in one thread, keep it clean, and keep it mature and measured. A flame war would be counter-productive.

While you might not see or appreciate this, the good news is that Ubi Soft appears to be committed to a strong launch of Lock On. Their decision to coordinate the demo release with the major media outlets and magazines is good news in the long run. In the short run it is disappointing for all of the active forum members who have expressed your interest and support for this product and expected a demo this week. My understanding is that this decision was made by Ubi Soft as a means of coordinating the launch of the demo to coincide with its availability on magazine CDs and in promotional efforts by Ubi Soft and the Media. I have been told that when the final product is finished Ubi Soft has a promotional and marketing plan that they are putting in place to make this a big international launch with Press coverage and promotional efforts. I spoke to a Marketing Manager at Ubi Soft that I have known and worked with in the industry for over ten years. She assures me that the commitment is there to launch Lock On in a big way and that the retailers are very interested in this title. Let’s not let this incident cause the momentum to slip for Lock On. If Lock On is a success then there is a much better chance for this genre of products to expand and thrive. 

Respectfully,

Carl

Matt's statement...

Given the recent annoucement regarding the demo, please keep the following in mind:

1- Both Carl and I were very careful NOT to make any promises. We were both clear that there could be delays; we simply gave our best estimate at the time.

2- We were bombared with "when is the demo coming out" question for weeks. Although we both HATE having to give date estimates (we have both been bit in the ass), we gave it because the community wanted it so bad. Given a choice, (I think I speak for Carl too) that we would have preferred not to give any demo dates until it was being uploaded to the servers.

3- When Carl and I indicated that the demo should be released by the end of the week, which was our honest opinion AT THAT TIME. Sometimes things change outside of our control. There was no conspiracy and there is no serious problem with the game that we want to hide. The demo plays great and is being sent to at least three magazines for their cover CDs.

4- I deeply regret that we were unable to release the demo when we originally planned, and it was never our intent to mislead anyone. The decision to release the demo in October was solely made to better support the title with a coordinated and meaningful media campaign. The demo is going to be a central part of that, and to release the demo months before the full game would dramatically reduce the marketing impact a great demo can make shortly before the release of the full game. This was done for the ultimate good of the product.

-Matt

Matt "Wags" Wagner

Producer / Ubi Soft Entertainment

IL-2 Forgotten Battles

Lock On: Modern Air Combat

Guest MrMudd

It's not on Carl's collar so to speak to Make the Decisions. But he made it his personal and professional mission to support all of you through the best and worst of times.

I respect the fact that Carl had the Intestinal Fortitude and integrity to Follow his orders and be the first one to Face all of us!

The facts have been clearly stated the "Publisher" has made the decision. Eagle Dynamics is required to meet that obligation. Regardless of their personal feelings or intuition.

We also need to thank UBI-Soft and Eagle Dynamics allowing us to present all of you LOMAC media.

I know you are all anticipateing this release. I am very intrigued on what this sim has to offer.

We all need to put our instant gratification desires to the side. And allow these men and women to focus on "Completeing the project"

Thanks for the Straight shooting Carl!

Salute!

MrMudd

Its just a demo, not the full release and that time frame hasnt changed from Winter of 2003, so were still in good shape, More previews and videos should hold us over till then.

I feel worse for Carl and Matt then I do about not havin a demo. :(

Hmm... it's not like anything is written in stone when it comes to LOMAC, so nobody should get angry about this (I'm sure the other LOMAC boards are freaking out). Remember it was Spring '02 for final release, but hey, sh*t happens. I was kinda hoping for a demo really soon, but its not like I'm in tears.

It will come out someday, and everybody will be happy... god I hope for UBI's sake.

And, ya, they really need a new PR department (must be run by a bunch of c*ck teasers).

Well to be honest I expected lomac not to come with an demo this week.

For weeks I see many screenshots on the game, and every time they are better, and I'm made to believe it is comming out soon. I wrote weeks ago about an problem with LOMAC and yet again it is not comming.

I did read an other critic, he said it would be around December before the sim commes out. And each day he gets it more right. And to be very honest, I believe this side has become an PR site for LOMAC. And it is wise to stop with this side as being used like that.

:( :( :(

In the meantime I will enjoy another sim who is fun to play

hmm.. doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I think sims NEED more time to have the word of mouth pass around - simply because less people play them than your average shooter.

I think UBI's making a mistake with this.

Well, well.....maybe we should give those UBI suits a taste of their own medicine?....perhaps we can delay buying LOMAC for a few months...let em know how it feels..hmmmm...perhaps a petition?

Do they not want us to spend time with the demo before the game hits the shelves?...wonder why that would be.

Guest MrMudd

Despite what the publishers do, Not purchaseing the product only goes to hurt the "Developer". I for see an end to the publishers...Strong arming the talent.

I will buy the product, and hope that Stormin gets a bigger chip in the big game after all this mess is said and done.

We have seen what happened to third wire, yet Tk makes no effort in public relations. We have seen the EA blunders. They really axed allot of great projects and talent.

Yeah UbiSoft and EA are two companies with little difference between each other. Both put the customer second.

We should go back to how it was when the first PC games were being made when developers just put thier disks into ziplock bags and sold them that way without any publishers so basically no middleman and all the money goes where it needs to.

Is the industry so structured that game developers cannot publish a title on their own? Are there some sort of publishing gestapo that black-ball companies that try? There was a time long ago (about the early 90's or so) when there was a swarm of companies: Spectrum Holobyte, EA, Activision just to name a very few that had Aviation Sim titles out on the shelf. What happened?

It's called predatory capitalism...the big eat the small and then deliver a hohum product because they ate all the competition.

It has been more than an year after LOMAC was announced. Software development takes an long time to get good! I never give any information on projects I'm aware of. Simply to protect those who are working hard to get us an new game. Carl and his team came forward with the most beautifull screenshots and movies. I can even read how mission planning goes in previews done by you Mr. Mudd. And in doing so You Mudd and Carl and others created expectations on how wonderfull this LOMAC would be. Now LOMAC has been delayed again, and we would not have had this situation if there was not this big campaign on LOMAC. Silence would have been much better for all! There would not have been the expectations, there would not be delay's time after time. And we custumers of the product would have played some other game. And this situation gives bad feelings to those who create LOMAC. They are not happy about us, as some tear them dowm! So It is wise to stop publishing any information about LOMAC untill they come up with an full Game which I as costumer can buy at my LOCAL shop. And hopefully the team has the spirit to work in silence on an good product.

Well ,this sucks. But I would also like to echo the comments made here about the integrity of Carl and Matt for their honesty. This is better than hearing "soon" or worse nothing at all.

I would say sign the petition and send em all emails. Hehe. Link the petition too. :)

http://forums.ubi.com/messages/message_vie...mac_gd&id=zvliq

"Maybe the petition, or individual E-Mails, should be sent to Ubisoft PR people world-wide, someone other than the usual suspects should here of our plight re: the Demo.

If you do mail them, please please keep it polite and to the point. These are people who may be able to help - if nothing else we will get noticed. May I suggest we use a consistent E-Mail subject - something like 'Delay of Lock On Demo'?

Here are some address...

Lidia Stojanovic - lstojanovic@ubisoft.co.uk (UK)

Yarnick Theler - ytheler@ubisoft.ch (Switzerland)

Vincent Paquet - vpaquet@ubisoft.qc.ca (Canada)

Milena Barreto milenab@ubisoft.com.br (Brazil)

Emamnuel Carre - ecarre@ubisoft.fr (France - PR Manager)

Stephanie Magnier - smagnier@ubisoft.fr (France - Corp.Comms)

Anja Zeug - anja.zeug@gamebusters.com (Austria)

Alberto Coco - acoco@ubisoft.it (Italy)

Sandra Melero - smelero@ubisoft.es (Spain)

Evelyn de Vooght - edevooght@ubisoft.be (Belgium)

Marcel Keij - mkeij@ubisoft.nl (The Netherlands)

Martin Hulberg - mhulberg@ubisoft.dk (Denmark & Norway)

Martin Hulberg - mhulberg@ubisoft.dk (Sweden & Finland)

Niels Bogdan - niels.bogdan@ubisoft.de (Germany)

Stefanie Lange - stefanie.lange@ubisoft.de (Germany)

Alexis Godard - agodard@ubisoft.co.ma (Morocco)

Sebastien Delen - sdelen@ubisoft.ro (Romania)

Lu Jia Qi - LuJiaQi@ubisoft.com.cn (China)

Keith Chan - KeithChan@ubisoft.com.cn (China - HK)

Jun Kazumi - jkazumi@ubisoft.co.jp (Japan)

Owen Hughes - ohughes@ubisoft.com.au (Australia)

Jennifer Lansman - jlansman@ubisoft.fr (Worldwide)

Maud Coiffet - mcoiffet@ubisoft.fr (Worldwide)

Matt."

and

Bit upset at UBI's decision?

Let em know it.

Ubi Soft Entertainment

Attn: MARKETING DEPT

625 Third Street, 3rd Floor

San Francisco, CA 94107

(415) 547-4000

UBI SOFT Entertainement

Communication Financière

ATTN: Yves Guillemot, President and CEO

28 rue Armand Carrel

93108 Montreuil-sous-Bois Cedex

Tel.: + (33) 1 48 18 50 00

Fax: + (33) 1 48 18 52 82

Or by e-mail: comfi@ubisoft.fr

This is howmany Million's of Euro's your worth.. Let them know that your not a happy camper!

http://www.finance.ubi.com/en/chiffres/Company.htm

Well for better or worse this reaction falls mostly on UbiSofts shoulders. It was not the public that touted and pimped the product as "revolutionary in the flight sim genre". They sewed those seeds, and whatever grows will be to their credit or detriment accordingly. I have nothing against the ED team, with the possible exception of who they decided to let publish their title.

I will admit that I know nothing of the computer software industry, but it seems like a rather basic business aspect - cultivate a customer base, don't piss it off. I've seen other genres of gaming endure continual price increases, and what seem to be terrible marketing decisions. However, loyal customers will remain loyal if the product is good.

I cannot speak of the quality of UbiSofts other products, because I don't play any of them. I can however empithize with the ferver building against their customers impressions of how they are being treated. I will go out of my way to shop somewhere and even pay a bit more. That is if the quality of the product is good and the service is of the highest quality.

I will probably end up owning a copy of LOMAC, but I cannot be expected to not be dissappointed by the continual delays and let downs. Just my $0.02 for what it's worth.