Sign in to follow this  
mppd

Where can I get a copy of 3D Studio Max?

I've been trolling around the Net and have not been able to find a resonably priced copy of this program, which I guess is the only one to get since it is required to be able to convert any other 3D item into WOV use. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike D.

3ds max cost a lot, especially a new copy. You are not going to find a copy, (unless its an older version), for less than $1000.

Well, you don't have to use 3ds max. There are other programs (GMax which is free) that can make the 3d models for you, you just need someone to convert them.

The other option is getting a student version of 3ds max. It's still not cheap (almost 400 USD) but at least you don't feel like you're buying a car. Plus, it's not neutered in any way as far as I can tell, it just can't be used to make commerical products (ie payware).

There is also ebay for older versions...or if you know someone 'in the biz' who would sell you an older copy...

FastCargo

Thanks for the info. I downloaded a copy of GMax today to play with. There is just something about asking someone else to convert a file for you, after they already spent a fortune on a piece of software themselves... I should be able to figure GMax out, I used to do it for a living when i had a real job.

Thanks again,

Mike

Edited by mppd

Can I use "Blender" for make somethink? :dntknw:

Guest Sony Tuckson

studio max is needed to export the model to LOD format

the converter only exists for studio max

Can I use "Blender" for make somethink? :dntknw:

You can, but again, you need someone with 3ds max to convert the file for you.

Flying Toaster (who's quite excellent F-8 models from the MF you've been seeing) uses Blender.

In fact, he's just finished a model that has been converted and is being worked on.

A hint: It's named after 2 animals with lots of teeth.

FastCargo

Donny and Marie Osmond?

Autodesk is very protective about their programs. I tried to see if I could purchase a used program...nearly imposible..And don’t expect any help from Autodesk. I use a student version...as far as I can tell, it seems to have all the bells and whistles...but of course I am still a limited new user. Also, if anyone need help converting all they have to do is IM me.

Edited by Veltro2k

You can, but again, you need someone with 3ds max to convert the file for you.

Flying Toaster (who's quite excellent F-8 models from the MF you've been seeing) uses Blender.

In fact, he's just finished a model that has been converted and is being worked on.

A hint: It's named after 2 animals with lots of teeth.

FastCargo

Nah...can't be,....jungle meets sea?

Nah...can't be,....jungle meets sea?

I can neither confirm nor deny at this time...

However, it's quite a bit away from being done. So don't salivate too much.

Donny and Marie Osmond?

LOL! Good one!

The MarDon?

FastCargo