Sign in to follow this  
frehley

problem with cat.files

hi everybody, I have a problemicon5.gif, i have the Cat.file extractor (sfp1e) but when I click "extract file" it says that is "done", I don't know where the file that I extract is located and there's nothing where the program say that is located.

Coud any one help me?

thnks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, the program does say where the files are extracted, but you can't chose where that is, and that is in the directory of the opened CAT file, so say you wanted to extract files from C:\program files\strike fighters\objects\objectdata.cat, the files would be in C:\program files\strike fighters\objects\

If they are not here, then something didn't work right...

Use the extractor from the main location on your drive, not the short cut.

It will tell you which folder the particular ini file has been extracted to.

Use the extractor from the main location on your drive, not the short cut.

It will tell you which folder the particular ini file has been extracted to.

Hi all,

can somebody tell me how to make CAT file again?

You don't "make" cat files, it is the compression method used by Thirdwire to combine a lot of files.

With SF:P1, and all, you can extract files, edit them, and they will be read in before the ones in the CAT.

Sorry to contradict you Spectre, but CAT files are not compressed at all, they are concatenated (meaning, they are just files glued to each other into one big file, which is why it is extracted so fast).

As a matter of fact, the CAT file is actually bigger than the sum of the files concatenated, as the CAT file adds at the head of the file the names and offset of the files it contains.

The goal of the CAT format is to have something cleaner to work with, as well as to save space by using less small files eating up clusters (with the CAT you'd only lose one cluster max.).

It IS possible to create a CAT file that would be read by the SF engine, but there is no tool for that at the moment, and doing it manually is a bore.

I try to creat translation WOE to Polish and maby somebody can tell me how can I edit STR files. Notepad is wrong idea.

Not to sure what a .str file is - possibly some kind of database file - but ive never had to alter one before - or whether its even possible to do so. If no one knows you could ask TK directly at www.thirdwire.com

I agree GR, they aren't at all compressed, just combined.

I just figured the concept would go over better thinking of it like a Zip file or summat.

Point taken...