Okay folks, TGAs are driving me nuts.

Hey, masking I can do...it's pretty easy, especially with PSP or Photoshop.

But I can't seem to consistently make a proper transparency TGA. I know the value is stored on the Alpha channel, but half the time, it seems as if the alpha channel isn't even there.

Usually, I end up flailing with Gimp/PSP/Photoshop and somehow muddle through to eventually get the transparency value I want.

Question, is there a failure resistant (I hate to say fail proof...) way in any one of those programs to set the transparency, save it in the alpha channel, and have it work. First time, every time?

I'm working on the cockpit of the T-38 right now, and there are an awful lot of transparencies I need....

Any explanations you have, please make it pilot simple...lots of pictures helps!

FastCargo

Try a free prog called paint.net, makes alpha dead easy, you set the transparncy you want with a slider.

FastCargo

I use PSP and suffered the yellow tga problem. That's where the tga appear to be a negative and the aircraft turns yellow.

There is a nice little utility that I found and posted a link to, both here and at SimHQ. Once you have saved your tgas as uncompressed 24 bit files (with an 8 bit alpha channel) you simply drag them onto the open utility on your desktop. For a standard 128x128 file you will see that the file size changes from 66kb to 65kb. Now your tga will work in the game. You can drag tgas in batches so it quite quick.

If I wasn't at work with the boss breathing down my neck I'd find it for you.

LloydNB

Edited by LloydNB

Making tga's with PSP doesn't work for me............... I just create them there, re-open with Gimp (making sure the transparency is open also) and then save once again. Presto, the tga that PSP created (and doesn't work) now works! Don't ask me why!

Why? :biggrin:

I got a nice white tailed Typhoon when I tried to decal it, as TGA's kick my arse.

I even tried using that tutorial, but amn't too swuft on the uptake. :blink:

If you get back around here, LloydNB, I would like to see that drag and drop solution...

FC-real quick painless tgas-Applies to PS, not sure anything else

Create your background image to size-fill the background with a solid pure Red, Blue, or Green. (I use Blue for trees textures)

RGB value for Blue would be 0,0,255

tg0.jpg

Place your object and go to your channels pallet-select only the blue channel (again Red or Green works just as well)

tg1.jpg

Right click the channel and duplicate

tg2.jpg

Select invert and OK

tg3.jpg

Rename the channel (you could do this on the duplicate popup also)

tg4.jpg

You have a perfect Alpha channel. You can paint bleck or white from here on the Alpha if you need to expose or hide any on the original. Save as tga 32bit. Done.

Cheers

Edited by Deuces

Hey guys, thanks for the answers. I appreciate all the help!

However, some of the answers provide for masking, which I can do consistently. It's the overall transparancy of the item I'm concerned with, not the 'masking' of specific portions.

Hinch, I think that's what I've done too!! (PSP to Gimp). Makes no sense, but it's worked...

I'm going to try that paint.net program...

FastCargo

The application can be found here. Open the application (I have on my desktop), set it to output 32bit tga files and drag as many filesas you need to convert onto the application. I've never changed more than 50 at a time.

http://www.aqua-soft.org/board/archive/ind...hp?t-25433.html

LloydNB

Edited by LloydNB

Cool. I will have to give it a try tonight!

Thanks!

the program i use all the time is called DXT BMP it was design for flight sim games that uses TGA or DDS files it can open them and Read them and save back to them.

this is the link to get the program it's the best so far that i came across

http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/

Mach Driver AKA Pharaoh Phoenix

PS i uploaded my own Screen Shot of my RafaleM2 Project

post-17648-1210146383_thumb.jpg

Well, dang it.

I tried the one link, and got no where, they may be old and dead, or the site just wouldn't load for me.

Got the newest Paint.Net, 3.13, I think, saved as un-compressed 24 bit, and still got my white tail. May have to try the DXT-BM tomorrow, or later today, as it is

01:30 hereabouts.

I must have a mental block with TGA's as I just ain't getting it. Gimme a GIF anytime!

Hi Spectre, a little OT but can you tell me how many decals you are trying to apply to the typhoon tail, I had this problem before but I honestly thought I solved it on the typhoon, the problem was from putting too many decals on one mesh, max of 4 I believe so I split the tail into 2 halves so the fin could have 4 decals each side.

Back on topic, I still would strongly recomend paint.net for it's simplicity and the fact its free, even just to have it in the toolbox, before sundowner made the skins for the typhoon, I only used this prog, it really is a poor man's photoshop.

I use Paint Shop Pro, for the most part, as it has a browse feature to preview the pics before editing them.

I am actually just replacing the ones originally installed with others to create a USAF Dissimilar Air Craft Training skin, but the last pairing, where the RAF

red and blue banner is, just gives me fits.

The fact that Dave just whips these decals out by the bushel leaves me in awe...

USAF tailcodes and serial numbers are actually quite easy to make, but US Navy tailcodes.... :rolleyes:

Edited by Gocad

I have the same TGA frustrations, but with transparency value for sea tiles and coast tiles for terrains :dntknw: , can anyone show me the right way to convert the .bmp files into .tga files? (I use Gimp)

Thank you!!!