Sign in to follow this  
Icarus999

F-4S Phantom weapons/chaff problems

Okay folks, this is driving me insane and perhaps i am over looking something obvious... but i just cant figure this out. I am simply trying to add the Aim-7F/M to my Phantoms for mid 80's/ early 90's

loadouts. I have been able to get the Aim-7M pre loaded on my AI squadron mates by editing the loadout configuration settings with note pad, but if I enter the hangar/loading screen the master weapons

list on the far left says: Aim-7M -0 available and over to the right at the loading screen none are availabe. the only sparrows i can load are E series up to the E4. :blink:

By the way... if it makes a difference to the loadouts I am using the latest bunyap weapons pack.

Out of frustration I added AHM to the sparrow bays in the data configuration setings with note pad and that gave me the Aim120 as a substitute. That is great to have in the 90's but for 80's scenarios it is out of place and will not be acceptable.

I see there is a data. ini.bak file and am wondering if that is the issue, do i have to extract the ini from it and if so what do i use to extract an BAK file?

now here is the weird part the standard third wire F-4J loads the Aim-7F/M but the F-4S does not, and I believe the F-4N has the same problem.

Also I attempted to add chaff and flares to this jet via the instructions in the knowlage base for the F-4F ICE and that did not work. so far all of my attempts to add chaff and flares to this aircraft

have failed and I am carfully applying the edits others have done and gotten results with on other aircraft.

There are no weapon entries for late model Navy/Marine Phantoms in the weapons loadout section of the knowlage base, and bunyaps wickipedia weapons guide list for navy aircraft does not include the phantom at all.... wich is very strange.

If any of you could take the time to tell me what I am doing wrong with the weapons and chaff it would be greatfully apreciated.

Thank you :rolleyes:

About 0 sparrows: there is a window in weapon editor "base quantity" -change it for a bigger value for example:24

About chaff and flare station: I think You dont add them to some part of aircraft mean for example to the fuselage :like

SystemName[xxx]=DecoyDispenserLeft -where xxx is the number of next system and after "=" is the name of your station

for example for f-4G fom Bunyap data base

Add to ...Data.ini file in fuselage section this lines:

SystemName[xxx]=Flare_Station

SystemName[xxx]=Chaff_Station

Edited by CIACHO

About 0 sparoows: there is a window in weapon editor "base quantity" -change it for a bigger value for example:24

About chaff and flare station: I think You dont add them to some part of aircraft mean for example to the fuselage :like

SystemName[xxx]=DecoyDispenserLeft -where xxx is the number of next system and after "=" is the name of your station

Thanks CIACHO, I did add chaff/ flares to the sidewinder stations, I will look to see exactly how i labeled them pehaps that is the problem.

Does the base quantity edit work in single mission or is it only campiegn?

what I would really like is to get all of the period correct weapons active for load outs but the -Aim-7F and Aim-7M are my biggest priority

thanks again

Thanks CIACHO, I did add chaff/ flares to the sidewinder stations, I will look to see exactly how i labeled them pehaps that is the problem.

Does the base quantity edit work in single mission or is it only campiegn?

what I would really like is to get all of the period correct weapons active for load outs but the -Aim-7F and Aim-7M are my biggest priority

thanks again

I thought it works only in single missions because the campaigns have there own properties but maby i'm wrong...

now here is the weird part the standard third wire F-4J loads the Aim-7F/M but the F-4S does not, and I believe the F-4N has the same problem.

IIRC the Navy and the Air Force used different Sidewinder and Sparrow models, i.e. some Sidewinders were only used by the USN. Many 3rd party a/c, such as the F-4N/S do reflect this through the attachment types of their weapon stations, which may make it impossible to load a weapon that wasn't used by the Navy.

Short version: Check the attachment types of the weapons (> weapondata) and the weapon stations (> aircraft_data).

IIRC the Navy and the Air Force used different Sidewinder and Sparrow models, i.e. some Sidewinders were only used by the USN. Many 3rd party a/c, such as the F-4N/S do reflect this through the attachment types of their weapon stations, which may make it impossible to load a weapon that wasn't used by the Navy.

Short version: Check the attachment types of the weapons (> weapondata) and the weapon stations (> aircraft_data).

Thanks Gocad, yes I checked this in the aircraft data and selected- Nato, USN, USAF, this is why i am pulling my hair out. The navy did use the Aim-7M. the 7F may have

been airforce exclusive I am not sure. i will recheck the weapons data but I an certain I remember USN as an attachment type. I believe the problem runs deeper than this.

Thanks Gocad, yes I checked this in the aircraft data and selected- Nato, USN, USAF, this is why i am pulling my hair out. The navy did use the Aim-7M. the 7F may have

been airforce exclusive I am not sure. i will recheck the weapons data but I an certain I remember USN as an attachment type. I believe the problem runs deeper than this.

I checked both the aircraft data and weapons data all attachment points concur but the nation name of the Aim7M is USAF this may be the problem but i changed it to USN and no joy

perhaps i need to reboot for it to take effect.

Has any body had this missile issue before?????? :dntknw: many aicraft mods like the F-14 and F-18 have no issues like this.

I have heard that the new mirage factory weapons pack does away with nation specific loads??? Is this the cure for this problem???

You changed the AIM-7M in weapondata.ini? - to make any changes to weapons themselves you need to open the weapondata.ini with the Weapons editor and then save it - this creates the required weapondata.dat file. you dont need to reboot for any changes.

I wouldnt recommend that though - if your sparrow stations are all set to attachment USN, USAF then there could be a weight or dimensions issue.

What year does the AIM-7M go to out of interest - also will assume the nation of the F-4S set to USN?

First off thank you to everyone who has offered their help with these issues.

Ok heres an update, I have the flares and chaff up and running- it was a stupid station numbering error on my part. Thank you CIACHO :good:

Secondly the Aim-7M will auto load on my plane if I leave the sparrow stations empty in the load out screen, however if I wanted to alter the sparrow bay load and carry a pod

or some other mixed load that may be an issue.

Thanks for your advice Coolhand29, yes the F-4S nation is set to USN and I only changed the Aim-7M weapon data to USN as an expairement... it had no effect so i will change it back to USAF

I have yet to check the service dates listed for the -7M but I know that it was still in service when the F-4S was retierd in 1992.

Pehaps I am still making a rookie mistake here but all of my attachment points were set the same as the other navy birds like the F-14A and F-18A both of those get both Aim 7F/M ability

on thier respective load out pages. The only thing I have changed was to add USAF to the attachment point list. I will change that back to NATO, USN because adding USAF did not make a difference

with the Sparrows.

Does Any one here have the F-4S installed in their game? I would be interested to see if any one else has the same problem or if it is just my noobness geting in the way of the propper

loadouts.

Thank you all for helping me.

Both the S models work perfectly fine for me. (S and S-Late) Chaff/Flare dispenser locations come from the original F-4G WW that's at C5's site. Easy ini edits.

As to using the Sparrow M, I don't think they were ever carried on ANY Navy Phantoms (although we'd need 531_Ghost to confirm this, as he worked on the real ones)

Have you looked at the weight differences?? Max Length and Diameter??

As far as I know, looking at my versions, they are loaded correctly. (the only thing 'not' correct is I have them carring the SUU-23 gunpod, which they didn't on carrier ops)

Wrench

kevin stein

Just an idea: check if there are lines starting with "DiameterLimit=" or similar in the AIM-7 station entries.

(And a note in brackets: the F-4S (and B/J/N) had the chaff and flare dispensers on the top of the rear fuselage,

unlike in the case of USAF Phantoms, which had them on the rear part of the innerwing pylons.)

Both the S models work perfectly fine for me. (S and S-Late) Chaff/Flare dispenser locations come from the original F-4G WW that's at C5's site. Easy ini edits.

As to using the Sparrow M, I don't think they were ever carried on ANY Navy Phantoms (although we'd need 531_Ghost to confirm this, as he worked on the real ones)

Have you looked at the weight differences?? Max Length and Diameter??

As far as I know, looking at my versions, they are loaded correctly. (the only thing 'not' correct is I have them carring the SUU-23 gunpod, which they didn't on carrier ops)

Wrench

kevin stein

Thank you Wrench and Blade- Problem solved :clapping: the maximum sparrow station mass was is set as 226.8 on the S as aposed to 231.5 on the E that I cross referenced.

as I wrote in an earlier post the chaf /flare issue is fixed- I had messed up and misnumbered the dispensers

thank you all so much for yor time and advice.

It would be interesting to here from 531_Ghost to find out if the F-4S was carring the Aim7M in the late 80's and early 90's It would seem almost suicidal to not have that option when facing the threat of aircraft like the Mig-29 or Su-27 that could kick the ass out of the phantom in almost any close range fight. I would have to believe that if the cold war had gone hot and we were sending guys into battle in the f-4S/N that BVR would be their prefered tactic and that the most advanced sparrows available would be loaded on them. But then again many times red tape not logic prevails.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me with these issues.

edit: missed the last message and suggested the same thing :biggrin:

Edited by pureblue