Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

WHOA! Windows XP Service Pack 3!

Just got a notifacation this morning of a new update for WinXP. Its service Pack 3! Never heard or saw this coming. Nice to see MS is still supporting this OS. Here are the links....

List of fixes

www.update.microsoft.com

Now lets hope it doesnt make anything worse...lol. :clapping::good:

There has been a major bug with it a few days ago, which forced MS to pull it in a hurry, I'd rather wait for independant confirmation that everything has been corrected if I were you.

There has been a major bug with it a few days ago, which forced MS to pull it in a hurry, I'd rather wait for independant confirmation that everything has been corrected if I were you.

A major bug??!!?? NO, not MS!!! LOL! Yeah, Ive always waited to see how things transpire. Just wanted to give a headsup since I hadnt seen any posts here yet about it. Thanks for letting us know... :good:

A major bug??!!?? NO, not MS!!! LOL! Yeah, Ive always waited to see how things transpire. Just wanted to give a headsup since I hadnt seen any posts here yet about it. Thanks for letting us know... :good:

I'm at Microsoft site now about to download it are you saying I should wait to do so? If there is a major bug why is it still there for downloading? has it been fixed?

From what I gathered so far, it's more a case of "not completely fixed but rare enough we will release anyway".

It concerns a subsystem theorically only used by retailers that may end up with losses of data, it apparently also affects Vista's SP1.

The paranoid would wait (the really paranoid would not touch a MS product with a 10 feet pole anyway), the rest of the world may probably go ahead with little if any risk on that front.

I upgraded one machine, and so far nothing catastrophic happened...

From what I gathered so far, it's more a case of "not completely fixed but rare enough we will release anyway".

It concerns a subsystem theorically only used by retailers that may end up with losses of data, it apparently also affects Vista's SP1.

The paranoid would wait (the really paranoid would not touch a MS product with a 10 feet pole anyway), the rest of the world may probably go ahead with little if any risk on that front.

Thanks for the info I just did not want my 3rd wire stuff to mess up, all the other stuff i don't care about. :biggrin:

No man that's a feature. Data cleanup. :biggrin:

Oh, yes, like with Home Server, the famous Data Cleansing feature, the whole new concept in Backup technology to solve once and for all storage capacity troubles, you send it to the server, the server trashes it...

I'll wait until I hear the consensus is it will make things better without screwing things up before I bother. For now, SP2 is fine.

I have tried SP3, because I had to reinstall my OS, I though there may be a big problem with SP3 because. Went I come to update via Microsoft Update Home, SP3 update and install fine but went I come to install the other update like.

Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)

Root Certificates Update

Windows Media Player 11

ATI - Sound - ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01

ATI Technologies Inc. - Video - ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

They downloaded OK but they would not install, I found this odd the problem was I hadn't install the

Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1, so no other update would be install.

If you have to reinstall XP all you need to remember is always click on Custom via

( http://www.update.microsoft.com/windowsupd...t.aspx?ln=en-us )

and then other update so you get the Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 install before you download and install SP3.

( This is what I didn't do the first time I tried SP3)

If you make sure you do the above you shouldn't have any problems with SP3 well I haven't has yet.

A little note for people like my friend down my road.

You don't need SP3 if your computer is currently up to date, with window automatic updates. SP3 is for went you need to reinstall XP, downloading and installing SP3 will saves you having to download and install 90+ updates patches, they are all in one with SP3 now, but you can still download the 90+ patches if you have problems with SP3.

Edited by Fleet Command CC