Sign in to follow this  
column5

Mega Poll: Greatest Rock Albums of All Time

Let's have a Combat Ace MEGA POLL!

The matter at hand is, what are your top five rock albums of all time? Or, if you were stranded on a deserted island with an iPod that could only hold five rock albums, which would they be? You don't have to base your top five on anything other than your opinion (sales, popularity, etc. don't count) and you can define Rock as loosely as you want to, so metal, punk, blues and pop and other stuff can all find there way in. Feel free to comment on your choices as well. At the end, I'll weight and tally the results.

My choices:

1. The Beatles, Abbey Road -- A no-brainer for me. It showcases all of the strengths and none of the weaknesses of the most creative band ever, though ironically none of them would count amongst the best musicians ever. George harrison's song Something hints at his enormous talent that would not be fully realized until The Beatles broke up.

2. Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti -- Most double-albums would be just a good (sometimes better) if they were cut down to a single album, but Physical Graffiti is strong from start to finish and has more classic cuts than you can shake a stick at.

3. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon -- The only problem with this album is overexposure. I was tempted to go with Wish You Were Here for that reason, but face it, DSotM is Floyd's magnum opus and has to be respected.

Damn...the Brits are getting too much play here...so...

4. Van Halen, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge -- I'm a big DLR fan, so this was a tough choice to make, but in my opinion it is Van Halen's best single album with any singer and one of the best feel-good, go out and drive fast albums ever.

5. Prince, Purple Rain -- Maybe an unusual choice for the top five but an incredible album that I could not live on that island without.

I would like to have included a Rolling Stones album on my list, but I can't becasue although they have some of the greatest singles of all time, I don't think any of their albums are good enough when taken as a whole to make my top five--to much filler in between the diamonds. The one that comes closest is Bridges to Babylon.

Anyway, can't wait to read the opinions of other members!

Led Zeppelin, IV (AKA ZoSo) - Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Stairway to Heaven, this one is just full of hits.

Boston, Boston - Another great album with songs that defined the group.

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon - Floyd had a lot of great albums but this one is their greatest work IMHO.

Foreigner, Double Vision - Think this was one of Foreigner's greatest.

Nazareth, Hair of the Dog - A hard rock sound all the way through, this one is my favorite by Nazareth.

Those are my 5. There's a bit of bias in there too, I like a harder rock sound. I'd otherwise have included The Beatles either Sgt. Pepper's or their self-named album (The White Album), the Rolling Stones, hell a lot of 'em, but that's what I came up with.

Wow too many to pick from...let's see...

Metallica, Black Album

Aerosmith, Aerosmith, Get Your Wings, and Toys in the Attic

Beastie Boys, Licenced to Ill

Nirvana, Nevermind

Foo Fighters, One By One, fun fact: Dave Grohl lived in the town right next to where I live and went to thee same school system I do.

1. Prince, Purplerain (I get laughed at all the time for naming my work computer Purplerain)

2. Def Leppard, Hysteria

Do "best of"s count? I have a Rolling stones and Santana one that has all the Gems from each.

Dark Side of the Moon without a doubt. The Wall should be on there too. No, I'm not a stoner, I just happen to love music written by stoners :biggrin:

The best though is my mp3 player. At least 30 hours of Pink Floyd, Santana, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, 311 and too many others and one-offs to count. Only for those who can safely say they've had an orgasm through their ears.

That's actually a good question. Best Ofs get all the great songs together (in most cases)...C5???

led zep 3

pink floyd the wall

slayer south of heaven

motor head the ace of spades

mettalica ride the lightning

voi vod nothing face

nuclear assualt game over

death angel the ultra violence

The Kids are all Right-The Who

Rare Earth-20th Century Masters

Grand Funk Railroad-30years of Funk

Dire Straits-On Every Street

Jimi Hendrix-whatever Ive got and whatever I can lay my hands on.

And BB King, Muddy waters, and whole load of Blues, but if I was stopped for bringing the the wrong genre then yeah Ill go with the 5 listed.

Beastie Boys, Licenced to Ill

Awesome pick, although Paul's Boutique was awesome too! I say pick any Beastie Boys Album and you're on the money in general. Other than that, Faith No More's "King for a day, fool for a lifetime" was all killer and no filler!

Broken from NIN was sweet too!

1. Jeff Wayne's Musical War of the Worlds

1. Jeff Wayne's Musical War of the Worlds

Damn my pop used to have that on a TDK tape!!!

Might be a little fresher and greener than the average album mentioned before, but in my humble opinion

the album "Ten" from Pearl Jam is a righteous jam!!!!

I mean, it is home of a few of the best songs ever!!! Who not to appreciate Alive, Black or Jeremy??!!

Just my two cents...

Muesli

David Bowie - Diamond Dogs. My favourite but most Bowie records between 1970-80 would do.

The Velvet Underground - VU. Or anything by Lou Reed from the 1970s (except Metal Machine Music).

The Pixies - Doolittle. Great live band, invented the quiet/loud "Nirvana sound". My top band when I was 18.

The Beatles - Revolver. Not much to say about this one that hasn't been said 1,000,000 times.

The Clash - London Calling. Best Album of 1979, the exception to the rule that punk rock was good at singles but not LPs.

That might cover it.

Oh, I forgot to mention Sleater Kinney! "All hands on the bad one" and "The Woods" were outstanding! My favourite ladies of rawk!

I can never seem to agree on a polll like this. So here is what I say.....its rock and roll baby and IT'S ALL GOOD!

Great stuff, including some I've never listened to and some I need to revisit.

I agree totally that Boston's Boston (as well as Third Stage, IMO) should be at or near the top of any comprehensive list. My Metallica pick would be Master of Puppets but the black album was definately more important as a crossover for them into the mainstream. I remember it got huge air time when I was in high school.

DaSpungie mentioned Voi Vod, which I have not listened to in a long time. I seem to remember that they did an awesome cover of Astronomy Domine that I really liked.

I can never seem to agree on a polll like this. So here is what I say.....its rock and roll baby and IT'S ALL GOOD!

Come on Dave, its OK to admit you like Bananarama.

no list is complete without Queensryche's Operation:Mindcrime.Simply one of the best albums ever.

Well I'd like to know if best of's count too, in which case I would never live without Free's Molten gold anthology

Well I'd like to know if best of's count too, in which case I would never live without Free's Molten gold anthology

I'd say that compilations don't count...kind of defeats the purpose of looking at albums as a whole rather than individual tracks.

Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction

Queen - Night at the Opera

Eric Clapton - Clapton Chronicles

Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

The other I would say is ZZ Top - Viva Las Vegas

Edited by JimmyBib

AC/DC Let There Be Rock

AC/DC Highway To Hell

AC/DC Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

AC/DC High Voltage

AC/DC Powerage

That about sums it up for the Bonn Scott era

For the Brian Johnson era

AC/DC Back in Black

Now you can guess what lead singer I like better

Come on Dave, its OK to admit you like Bananarama.

Well it has been a cruel summer.

Now 80's music I like alot. Got thousands of MP3's of just 80's music.

1. Led Zeppelin IV (from start to finish it's a perfect album)

2. Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell (so over the top you have to love it)

3. The Who: Who's Next (kickass R n' R)

4. Pink Floyd: The Wall (what more can be said about this one?)

5. The Killers: Hot Fuss (for a pop album it's pretty good)

Whew! Somebody finally said AC/DC Back in Black. :)

Def Leppard - Pyromania

Pink Floyd - The Wall (or Darkside...both are great)

Tool - Lateralus

Soundgarden - Superunknown