O.K., in modern radar symbology, i can identify the target's closing rate, altitude, heading, and speed. However, there are these characters that are bascialy in the top center of the radar that I have no idea of what they are telling me. It consists of any variety of numerical digits accompanied by alphabetical digits, mainly either R, L, or H (don't know if there may be any otheres, those are the only three that I've seen). At first, I thought it was telling me the type and number of weapons that were on board... R = radar, L = laser, and H = heat seeking. But then I would see double digits next to them and said to myself, "they can't have 16 radar guided weapons!" So, what do these alpha numeric digits mean? I did do a search and looked in the K.B. (since I am a stickler for people to do that first) and couldn't find anything relating to what I am discussing. I've been wondering about this for many months, and honestly, I was a bit too emabarrassed to ask since I am in the Air Force, and a jet junky, and figured that out of all people, I should easily know what these symbols are. But I don't, and I really want to know. So, I guess I have to swallow my pride and ask out in the public forum on what these things are. :blush:

Edited by serverandenforcer

Hey thanks. It's obviously the targe aspect info is what I'm talking about. Now, how do I read it, knowing what it's saying? I never ran across or found any tutorials that explained this. Did the manual for WOE talk about it, 'cause I don't remember, and it's now lost somewhere in the abyss in my room. Anyways, that's what I was talking about. I guess I'll do some more searches, now that I know what it is, and see what I can find.

O.K., after talking with FC a bit, I've finally been able to figure out what the information means. FC told me that R = right, L = Left, and H = head-on. He guessed that the numerical digits were in factors of 10 degrees or in 1s. I think it might be in 1s. If that is true, then this is what the informaiton means. The center line, running from the bottom of your screen to the top of your screen is represented as 0 degrees. The target aspect info on the radar screen tells you the relationship of the target in accordance to your aircraft. So, if your target says 1R, you need to maneuver one extra degree to the right to go head on with the target. If it says 5H, then you need to pitch up five degrees. I don't know if the taret aspect info says anything in the minus catagory (i.e -5H), but if so, then it probably means you need to pitch down 5 degrees to face the target. Now, I'm not totally certain if this is correct, I'll experiment in game to see if this is what it means.

Aspect angle is a measuare in degrees to the left or right of the target hence the R or L mark after the number. As stated in falcon 4.0 AF manual this is measured starting at the 6 O'clock position of the target. So has 1 a 30 deg aspect angle to the right you are in his 5 O'clock if it has 90 deg left, you are in his 9 O'clock it its 170 deg L or R you are 10 deg just left or right off of his nose. And so forth.

Aspect angle is a measuare in degrees to the left or right of the target hence the R or L mark after the number. As stated in falcon 4.0 AF manual this is measured starting at the 6 O'clock position of the target. So has 1 a 30 deg aspect angle to the right you are in his 5 O'clock if it has 90 deg left, you are in his 9 O'clock it its 170 deg L or R you are 10 deg just left or right off of his nose. And so forth.

I think I kind of understand that. so.... 1R means that you are 10 deg right off the 6 O'clock of the target. If this is the case, then I'm a bit confused by a reference pic at the Third Wire forums ( http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2343 ) posted by streakeagle on the STT mode for the F-15 radar, and it shows the targeted aircraft, which from the symbology indicates that it is heading towards the player, and the TA shows 1R. However, from you explanation, if I understood it correctly, if the target is facing you, the the TA should read digits past 9 L or R. In this case, the TA should read 17R, unless I'm missing something here.

I think I kind of understand that. so.... 1R means that you are 10 deg right off the 6 O'clock of the target. If this is the case, then I'm a bit confused by a reference pic at the Third Wire forums ( http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2343 ) posted by streakeagle on the STT mode for the F-15 radar, and it shows the targeted aircraft, which from the symbology indicates that it is heading towards the player, and the TA shows 1R. However, from you explanation, if I understood it correctly, if the target is facing you, the the TA should read digits past 9 L or R. In this case, the TA should read 17R, unless I'm missing something here.

Yes that picture also got me confuse and made me wonder if the TK sims had it somewhat diferent but I tried WoI just before I posted and F-15 radar was working as it should so either they fixed it or something's wrong with that picture.

I was a bit too emabarrassed to ask since I am in the Air Force, and a jet junky, and figured that out of all people, I should easily know what these symbols are. But I don't, and I really want to know. So, I guess I have to swallow my pride and ask out in the public forum on what these things are. :blush:

Nothing wrong with asking, if you don't ask you don't find out.

The dumb guy is the one who's afraid to ask.

The dumb guy is the one who's afraid to ask.

Whats the saying now?

"He who asks is a fool for 5 minutes"

"He who doesnt ask is a fool forever"

Thanks lxsapper. Really appreciate the help. I hope I'm not the only moron who didn't know about this stuff.

"I hope I'm not the only moron who didn't know about this stuff. "

I stand here a better informed moron, thanks to Server and Enforcer's insightful and cogent inquiries!

"Better informed moron?"

lol.gif

I resemble that remark!