Sign in to follow this  

Hi mates, here I'm again bothering you all :biggrin:

Well, lets start the question.

Is there anyone here who knows (by his/her own experience of course) what is the best aircraft simulator game (the one with the best avionics sistem and the higest quality), besides the SF :rolleyes: ?

It's just because I want a real simulator game, with the same features used by the air force to train its pilots.

Advanced thanks to everyone :good:

FSX?

Actually, I think TW made a game for the USAF, but it's not available to the general public.

Edited by Longestpants

So you're after a 'modern day' sim i take it?

If you want training-esque realism in operating an aircraft, Falcon 4 Allied Force is your best bet. But simply not enjoyable IMO.

Well, speaking as a US Air Force pilot, here is my .02:

Assuming you are looking for a air combat simulator for a modern day aircraft, the simulator that I think comes closet to actual USAF operation of a single aircraft type is Falcon 4.0: Allied Force (F4:AF or just F4). On hard mode, and/or with certain mods, it's damn near as close as you can get to flying an actual F-16.

But be forwarned, it ain't a 'jump in and go fly' kind of sim. It takes dedication and time...like the real thing.

A close second is Lock On: Modern Air Combat and it's addon pack, Flaming Cliffs (LOMAC and FF, respectively), which does a pretty good job of Russian aircraft operations...maybe not quite the 9.5/10ths fidelity of Falcon 4.0...but, you won't know the difference, especially with the Frogfoot in Flaming Cliffs, which seems to fly just right... And you'll see debates on either side as to which sim is better (LOMAC or F4).

Personally, I've always thought the debate pointless, because 90%+ of the hardcore debaters don't have real time (as in 'sole manipulators') in any aircraft at all, and 98%+ of the debaters have no time in any of the specific aircraft in either sim.

Good luck.

FastCargo

Well, speaking as a US Air Force pilot, here is my .02:

Assuming you are looking for a air combat simulator for a modern day aircraft, the simulator that I think comes closet to actual USAF operation of a single aircraft type is Falcon 4.0: Allied Force (F4:AF or just F4). On hard mode, and/or with certain mods, it's damn near as close as you can get to flying an actual F-16.

But be forwarned, it ain't a 'jump in and go fly' kind of sim. It takes dedication and time...like the real thing.

Good luck.

FastCargo

Thanks FC - always good to hear what the real pilots think :good:

Yes ,jayo, I'm after a ''modern day'' sim. :ok:

And about to your reply, FastCargo, I will buy both games, LOMAC and Falcon 4.0, :good: but only if I can find them, because I'm living in Spain and I don't know if they are here :dntknw: . Oh, and I don't want a 'jump in and go fly' sim, my intencion is learn how to fly a modern jet because I want to enter on the spanish Air Force (I'm studing to do it :good: ), I want a simulator which makes me feel like I'm learning something, no like I'm only enjoying it.

Longestpants, I already have the FSX but I didn't like it very much, I had to change many things to play it properly and, after that, the sim wasn't the way I assumed it has to be. Anyway, I enjoyed its amazing graphics system.

Well, time to say goodbye and thank you all for your help guys :ok:

You could try www.amazon.co.uk - that ships to most european countries if you have no luck elsewhere

The problem with sims is that you have no physical feedback from the sim. There arent any G's or buffeting you feel, only see or hear them.

MSFS is a great tool to make one understand aspects of flight (my instrument flying is pretty decent now), but lacks the combat of F4 or LOMAC.

The USN uses MSFS in one of their basic flight programs as a learning tool, so it cant be all that bad.

Good luck!

Storm

P.S. I'm still waiting for someone to include A/R in a sim. From my end, of course ;)

Oh, and I don't want a 'jump in and go fly' sim, my intencion is learn how to fly a modern jet because I want to enter on the spanish Air Force (I'm studing to do it )

I have to tell folks something, seeing it from the other side (as an instructor)...

Combat flight sims really do not help you when starting in your flight career.

I'll say that again...combat flight sims do not help you when starting your flight career.

The majority of folks who wash out of training wash out in the basic parts of training...when you're still trying to learn how to do the simple stuff...maintaining altitude, situational awareness, and aircraft parameters. Jug can talk to this more...but IMHO, if you want to make it through to become a hunter-killer (or a trash hauler, take your pick), get the basics down first.

If that is your intent...I would suggest MSFS first and discipline yourself to fly instruments and fly procedures well. That's the foundation that almost everything else flows from.

FastCargo

To add to what FastCargo said, I've spent the last seven years flying full blown F-35 and F-22 sims on almost a daily basis. Full cockpits, dome's, hardware-in-the-loop, motion-based, etc... but until recently had never flown anything for real.

I was lucky enough last year to get selected to take an Intro To Flight Test course taught by several guys from the Naval Test Pilot School at Pax. I went up in a Bonanza, full of instrumentation, for a 1:45 min flight. Other than take off and landing, I had the controls the whole time. It took me at least 20 minutes to stop trying to squeeze the paint off the yoke. Even after I relaxed, I hardly remember looking out of the window. My eyes were either on my lap cards, or on the instruments trying to stay within parameters as I flew the test manuevers.

It definately wasn't as easy as I thought. :)

Edited by JSF_Aggie

I have to tell folks something, seeing it from the other side (as an instructor)...

Combat flight sims really do not help you when starting in your flight career.

I'll say that again...combat flight sims do not help you when starting your flight career.

The majority of folks who wash out of training wash out in the basic parts of training...when you're still trying to learn how to do the simple stuff...maintaining altitude, situational awareness, and aircraft parameters. Jug can talk to this more...but IMHO, if you want to make it through to become a hunter-killer (or a trash hauler, take your pick), get the basics down first.

If that is your intent...I would suggest MSFS first and discipline yourself to fly instruments and fly procedures well. That's the foundation that almost everything else flows from.

FastCargo

FastCargo is quite correct. With about 4,600 hours in a variety of US fighters, 3 years advanced jet instructor, two tours in 'Nam, and eight years as a test pilot, I can strongly attest to his advice.

As much fun as the various combat flight sims are - and each has its pros and cons - there is no substitute for getting a good understanding of the basics of VFR and IFR flight - and MSFS is the best way (short of taking ground school and flight training) that I know of to get a solid start on your flying career. FastCargo has it right; listen to him.

Best of luck to you!

Wagsled

F-22 ADF (Euro figther 2000 same game engine) came out about 8-9 years ago great game it was actually based off the software that the actual sims for the test pilots. It is a great game. It was fun it had all typs of missions. you could set up the MFDs anyway you wanted them. You could change your own waypoints the list goes on. So many things. The grafics were steller too. For a game that is 10 years old it looks just as good as sfp1, and wov. I recomend.

Go to www.cdaccess.com.

Edited by MAKO69

I heard X-Plane is certified for pilot training, but AFAIK not the version sold to general public.

Yeah, playing a sim, and then doing the real thing are two completely different things. I think the best example for those who don't fly in real life (like me) is when you drive/race your car in the real world, it is a lot different than driving and racing in a sim. The sims don't emulate the perception and feeling of being in an actual car.

I can pull all sort of maneuvers in the sim but in RL sharp g decrease makes me feel weird. Even airliner sinking a bit on takeoff and a car starting downhill. :rofl:

Not to disagree with Fastcargo and wagsled, I do agree simulators are damaging to the student pilot, but I don't agree entirely that MSFS is even worth using, especially in terms of VFR flight, I found all my students who used MSFS never had a good scaning look out of the window, they all fixated on the AH when there was a beautifull horizon out of the window, but on the other hand some students who were combat sim fans had a very good use of lookout, stemming from the fact they were looking for their quarry all the time in the simulators.

By the time a student is learning to fly instruments They usually have either gained their PPL or they are an advanced commercial student with a good few hours behind them, this is when MSFS can fill in, but even then a propper procedural trainer can not be beaten.

I know I am not Military fast jet experienced (I fly a beaten up old Islander and some other Twins) but I am a commercial pilot and flying instructor, so I am talking from my own experience.

Oh, one quick point to lorddemonicus, Do Not tell your instructor 'but when I did this in my combat simulator at home' ,they will have a sense of humour failure, Instructors don't appreciate kids who think they know better, and they wil s**t a brick when that kid says they know it all because of a computer game.

Edited by craigbrierley

Oh, one quick point to lorddemonicus, Do Not tell your instructor 'but when I did this in my combat simulator at home' ,they will have a sense of humour failure, Instructors don't appreciate kids who think they know better, and they wil s**t a brick when that kid says they know it all because of a computer game.

In fact, was a flight instructor the one who told me to become a fan of the flight simulators :rolleyes: , but I know it's not ok to show off something you've done :no: and that It's not the same thing when we compare the game and the reality, instead of how good the game is. Well, I only have six hours of real flight, I've pilot an old CESNA, but I know what I'm talking about; as fastcargo, craigbrierley, serverandenforcer,etc. said, it's not the same the game and the reality.

I think "Lock On" is a nice sim of soviet birds. And with the last patches "Battle of Britain 2 Wings of Victory" has become a very nice WW2 flight sim.