I have searched through the knowledge base but in vain, trying to look for information about Angle of Attack. Firstly, is it tweakable? If yes, which INI file should I belooking for? And under which section I should enter the value and what is the name of the parameter?

I am referring to the AoA fr firing Air-2-Air missile.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Basher11

Best tool I've used for tweaking angle of attack is my joystick.

p.s. you do know what angle of attack is don't you? simply it is the angle between the relative airflow and the mean aerodynamic chord of the wing, not as I susspect you think, something to do with the angle at which you attack your target, it is purely an aerodynamics value.

Edited by craigbrierley

When firing an A-A missile your main concern in this game is not firing it when you are pulling too many Gs - particularly for the early AIM-9s

In regards to AOA (if you are not banking) - I guess the bigger the angle the slower you are going - although being slow should just mean the missile will get less energy from launch - it should still fly as normal though.

Not exactly an expert myself but the Angle Of Attack can only be defined when you are actually flying the plane - its kinda the difference between the direction the nose is pointing and the direction the jet is actually going (in degrees)

an example is - when you are landing you pull your nose up but you are still decending - so your AoA is higher

Will add that another situation (correct me if wrong here!!) where you will have a high AOA is turning very quickly - ie a thrust vectoring jet should be able to pull its nose up much further than the direction the jet is actually flying - and Im sure some missiles may be able to do this to.

Edited by CoolHand29

That is correct. Basically in simple terms maybe to me can be translated into "elevation of the aircraft's nose to the horizontal axis. I am asking about it is because the AI aicraft launches AIM-7 sparrow when it is heading sloghtly nose down and the sparrow doesn't correct its path to loft up towards its target. Therefore I am beginning to suspect if I should "instruct" the aircraft to maintain an angle of attack before firing missiles. Similar to the concept of coresight when firing rocket, talking about eh AI aircrafts.

But I could be wrong you know.

Edited by Basher11

Is this for all AI aircraft or for a particular type of jet?

What speed are they going normally and is their altitude changing also?

Hi Basher,

I think one of the reasons it is difficult to provide you with answers is because you have a tendency to explore aspects of the game that nobody else has touched on yet, I sense an opening for you to become the resident expert in all things unorthodox.

p.s. the angle you need to be looking for is purely a pitch angle relative to the horizon, an angle of attack can be high even if the aircraft is nose down, it all depends on how much load the aircraft is under, say you are in a dive and give a sharp pull on the stick, your aircraft may well exeed maximum angle of attack without even getting the nose above the horizon, a condition called high speed stall.

Edited by craigbrierley

Is this for all AI aircraft or for a particular type of jet?

What speed are they going normally and is their altitude changing also?

F-15C add-on. Speed 379knots, ceiling 8,000ft.

Hi Basher,

I think one of the reasons it is difficult to provide you with answers is because you have a tendency to explore aspects of the game that nobody else has touched on yet, I sense an opening for you to become the resident expert in all things unorthodox.

I take that as a compliment. :biggrin:

I will contribute what I have collected after all have been done.

F-15C add-on. Speed 379knots, ceiling 8,000ft.

The F-15C flight model may just need tweaking then - by an expert :close_tema:

will assume the the F-15C was not losing altitude despite is nose being pointed down?

I am not quite sure then, it was downloaded from somewhere a little while ago.

One of the most interesting parts of playing TK's simulations is that tweaking the INI files. I still believe though I have no solid evidence that some more parameters are unlockable. We all know that GunBoresightAngle and RocketBoresightAngle are there for adjusting the firing angle of gun and rocket there may be a similar parameter which is related to the angle for firing missiles. That is what I am currently thinking and hoping.

One of the most interesting parts of playing TK's simulations is that tweaking the INI files. I still believe though I have no solid evidence that some more parameters are unlockable. We all know that GunBoresightAngle and RocketBoresightAngle are there for adjusting the firing angle of gun and rocket there may be a similar parameter which is related to the angle for firing missiles. That is what I am currently thinking and hoping.

Well I don't believe that variable is to be found in the aircrafts data.ini, I would start looking into the individual weapons entry in the weapondata, there may be some variables which dictate how the AI behave in its delivery, even if you have to tweak the individual weapon to non historically accurate values to get the desired effect.

Edited by craigbrierley

Hey Craig,

Since you have mentioned the weapon.ini file, you've got a shortcut here - that's me!

I have spent the whole week trying to figureout if WoI's engine has the potential or cushion for BVR weapons delivery. The process is on-going though because I have not conclusion yet so far. But here is my finding at this moment:

Before I go on, please note that historical accuacy is being set aside for the purpose of making a new combat environment using existing resources available.

To enable firing missile within the range of most IR heat seeking missiles, let's say 7nm; the MaxVisible Distance must be changed. Despite the definition of this variable is the visible distance of human fresh eyes, but functional wise, it is the 'eye' of medium and long range missiles. I use 1,000,000m roughly eqaul to 540nm. This eliminates any blocking factors of releasing medium and long range missiles (I shall call it BVR missile from here-on-in).

Next variables we will be looking at are Seeker Range and Max Launch Range of the missile. Se below:

AIM-120Crangevariables.jpg

During my numerous testing, the missile self detonated itself in many ocassions, I still have no clues about that happening. After I changed the tweo variables to the current values as shown, number of self-detonations has been reduced. Having said that, other problems arise now. AI launching platforms is committing pre-mature firing meaning that it fires more than it should once targets coming into range head-on.

THIS IS A PROBLEM OF AI AIRCRAFTS.

Criag, that's all I have got so far, if you come up with something new, please hare with us all. Many thanks!

Edited by Basher11

Basher

Possibly the values you want to look at are in the aircraftObject ini from the ObjectData cat.

Below are highlighted some likely(?) lines that may deal with what you want

[DogfightNovice]

FightWithoutAmmo=0

CannonFireAngle=5.0

RQIRMFireAngle=5.0

ASIRMFireAngle=10.0

RHMFireAngle=5.0

MaxPitchInput=0.4

MissileDetectChance=10

MaxRudderForGunAttack=0.5

MaxRudderForManeuver=0.7

I suppose this could make the AI more deadly.......Great!

Edited by csb

RQIRMFireAngle=5.0 = Rear Quarter Infrared Missile Fire Angle (max angle off bore sight)

ASIRMFireAngle=10.0 = All Aspect Infrared Missile Fire Angle (ditto)

RHMFireAngle=5.0 = Radar homing Missile (ditto)

MaxPitchInput=0.4 = has nothing to do with weapons release. Set it at "10.0" and see what happens :biggrin:

I recall telling you about the first two values about a month ago. I set them high (up to 60 degrees) on AC that are equipped with R-60MK, R-73, AIM-9X, etc.

RQIRMFireAngle=5.0 = Rear Quarter Infrared Missile Fire Angle (max angle off bore sight)

ASIRMFireAngle=10.0 = All Aspect Infrared Missile Fire Angle (ditto)

RHMFireAngle=5.0 = Radar homing Missile (ditto)

MaxPitchInput=0.4 = has nothing to do with weapons release. Set it at "10.0" and see what happens :biggrin:

I recall telling you about the first two values about a month ago. I set them high (up to 60 degrees) on AC that are equipped with R-60MK, R-73, AIM-9X, etc.

Thanks Fubar! I was about ot ask csb what each of those bold parameters stands for. Anyway I have posted my eperimental result in another thread. Pls download the zip file and check my work. I treasure your feedback. Many thanks truly!! :salute: