Sign in to follow this  

Dear all,

At long last, I have completed my experiement on setting up a BVR compatible enviroment using the WoI engine. Neither WoV nor WoE's engine were tested with such great success. Please be reminded that this result serves not as a negation of the original purpose of WoI in terms of the modelling the war era in the 80's when BVR was not a general term as commonly accpetable and undrestood as by today's community.

Enclosed is a set up of 2 F-15C and 2 Su-27 initially at 100km (i.e. 50nm) away. AIM-120C is added to the arsenal, with range modified to 70km roughly equal to 35nm which is the range of AIM-120C in a head-on engagement. Both flight groups are heading 90 degrees where the Su-27 was aheadteh F-15C. You will see the Su-27 turns around to engage the F-15C. You (call sign Cowboy) will be riding a F-15C just very close to the AI -F-15C flight. Just hit A to go autopilot to align yourself in the saem course with the AI F-15C. Listen to any "Fox 3" while you try to lock up the Su-27. Increase your radarsearch range to 80nm and hit HOME key to track the Su-27 and hit INSERT key to lock it up. Then hit T to get data about the Su-27, note the range from target should read about 45nm or something like that.

The AIM-120C has been tuned to 70nm for Seeker Range as well as Max Launch Range. So when the Target distance reads 36nm get prepared for the AI F-15C to fire their AIM-120C you should hear they say "Fox 3".

To get the best visual effect, please drop the ss-Exhaust Rocket.bmp and sss-Exhaust Rocket.ini along with the Smoke4.TGA file into the Effect folder. I am using Lexx_Luthur's rocket effects for the AIM-120C. Credits go to Lexx for this. Press F9 to view the missile. Keep on pressing F9 until you are cycled to the missile. You will need the modified ViewList.INI file to use this view function. Download the attachment and save it to the Flight folder before you run the mission.

By the way, the mission is named as New Mission(2). Have fun and give me feedback.

http://www.4shared.com/account/file/472150...23dVi8awQI84vVx

Edited by Basher11

You do relize that the AIM-120 is smokeless, right? That means no exhaust trail........

You do relize that the AIM-120 is smokeless, right? That means no exhaust trail........

I know Fubar. I added it to the missile is because I love to see eye-candy. Fancy watching the missile changes its path from its G-turn capability for catching up the target. Besides, if I were hte one who was riding in the Su-27, I need to see the trails to evade. Some sort of cheat here. Don't think it goes with hard difficulty settings in real game. Excuse me!

Actually, what's missing is contrails for missiles at high altitude. I recall seeing a video of a Pheonix leaving a thick contrail as it climbed to altitude after being launched from a Tomcat, and then disappearing as it climbed above the altitude where contrails can form. The closeset thing we have to that, is the "largemissilefire" effect, which imbues its host missile with a nice, whispy plume.

I made an experiment too with the Typhhon using Meteor missiles. It's awesome!

I wish the engine allowed the engagement of multiple target simultaneously. I remember in WOE using an F-15 BAZ I just used the HOME key to change targets, no need to lock it with the insert key. I think it was with normal radar settings d=

Anyway I'm editing the avionics ini file to increase radar power, is there a basic avionics.ini editing guide like the other ones?

Regarding the avionic data file, I know very little about it AT THIS MOMENT. What I do know is it has nothing to do with AI aircraft. In Jane's Combat Simulation's F-15 which came out into the flight simulation market in 1998, it simulates nearly real avionics on F-15C Eagle. You can engage multiple targets and fire AIM-120 upon them on after the other.

As far as WoI is concerned, the game engine's coding has been changed considerably. There are also some other radar track modes like STT. Might I suggest you to refer to the F-22's Avionics file for reference. In order to maintain authenticity, we have to make modifictaions not too much deviated from the factual data. There are a few places where you can obtain such data like radar search range and track range as well as azimuth. The problem with modelling radar is the the track range and search range depend whether you are head-on with the boggies or the boggies are running away from you.

For example, the tracking range of AIM-120 missile is 30nm when it is chasing a target. When the missile is going head-on against a target, it's traxck range is increased to 35nm. So it varies.

I refer to FAS.ORG before but lately they have changed their pages and fewer information is available now.

But with all these "experiments" is there any fidelity to the real world or are these all just made up figures?

Regarding the avionic data file, I know very little about it AT THIS MOMENT. What I do know is it has nothing to do with AI aircraft. In Jane's Combat Simulation's F-15 which came out into the flight simulation market in 1998, it simulates nearly real avionics on F-15C Eagle. You can engage multiple targets and fire AIM-120 upon them on after the other.

As far as WoI is concerned, the game engine's coding has been changed considerably. There are also some other radar track modes like STT. Might I suggest you to refer to the F-22's Avionics file for reference. In order to maintain authenticity, we have to make modifictaions not too much deviated from the factual data. There are a few places where you can obtain such data like radar search range and track range as well as azimuth. The problem with modelling radar is the the track range and search range depend whether you are head-on with the boggies or the boggies are running away from you.

For example, the tracking range of AIM-120 missile is 30nm when it is chasing a target. When the missile is going head-on against a target, it's traxck range is increased to 35nm. So it varies.

I refer to FAS.ORG before but lately they have changed their pages and fewer information is available now.

Thanks, I keep experimenting and finding results, I don't use the AMRAAM in the EF-2000 loadout.

I was able to engage lock on targets in the TWS mode (Track while scan) only hitting the HOME key to change targets lock not using the INSERT key to lock on. However, it did not work all the time and still don't know why. I use this in order to try to emulate the multiple target lock in 5th generation fighters.

I have found some changes like instead of sigle flare launches it now launches 3 flares (Six in double flare dispensers like the EF-2000)

But with all these "experiments" is there any fidelity to the real world or are these all just made up figures?

During the experiments I don't look for reality but to understande how avionics.ini files work

During the experiments I don't look for reality but to understande how avionics.ini files work

thumbs.gifCrissy-ylflower.gif

OK, figured it out.

1- Set radar to TWS mode

2- Press HOME to select a target

3- Press INSERT to lock it

4- Launch Missile

5- Press HOME 2 times to change target

6- Launch Missile

7- Repeat steps 5 & 6 until all targets are engaged

Edited by jklv

Great findings! Looks like there are many unlock features in the game. Once we have got enough findings, we can develop some great missions with modern era aircrafts.

Great findings! Looks like there are many unlock features in the game. Once we have got enough findings, we can develop some great missions with modern era aircrafts.

We have never had a problem before. This is a very confusing thread. What is the goal here? I mean Crusader makes the best avionics for this series. So I am lost on what we are talking about here. Those above procedures are nothing new. Can someone enlighten me?

We are witnessing people reinventing the wheel because they didn't spend time to 1) read the manual 2) read TW's forum, 3) read Ca's forums and KB and 4) gather documentation and knowledge prior to tinkering.

So there is a great deal of excitation, experimentation, "new" knowledge being found, but to those with a some more hours in the series, it sounds outlandish...

In their defense, the search functions around here and TW are quite ineffective and a great deal of things I remember being in the KB still seems to be missing.

I think he's on something. gotta be...or else he has a very apt name...the way he keeps bashing his head all over the place for some reason that is completely beyond me to even try and fathom.

I think the moddability of this series has left an impression that almost anything is possible, but sadly the reality is that almost every mod involves a compromise of some sort.

Well then I am moving this to the What IF Forum.

Well guys, I never meant to harm anyone, sorry if I did.

I think it's easier and more efficient to search instead of the trial/error experimentations but anyway...

I'm sorry if I harmed anyone

Well guys, I never meant to harm anyone, sorry if I did.

I think it's easier and more efficient to search instead of the trial/error experimentations but anyway...

I'm sorry if I harmed anyone

Oh dude, don't worry about it, we were just trying to figure out what the deal was. By all means, carry on.