Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

I got a neat piece of history...

An old friend of mine was a former USAAC L-5 liason pilot during the war. He was owed a debt by a fella that owned a bar. He was given this propeller as payment. It sat in the rafters of his garage for decades until one day I spotted it up there covered in dust. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so I asked him if I could have it. He said make a small contribution to this Christian aviation organization called thequiethour.org and its yours. So I did, and he gave it to me! Amazing to think its around 90 years old. The blade ends are sheathed in copper...

check out the old serial numbers and logo.

garageprop.jpg

Paragon American Propeller, Baltimore, Maryland...whats it say right above paragon? Two words...

paragonlogo.jpg

I think it says...B.O.2229 and then in the image it looks like USA 76?

serialnumbercloseup.jpg

The type it came from...(not this plane)...

jenny.jpg

Edited by pcpilot

That is a very cool piece of history. Will look in any hobby room or "man land".

Nice grab!

Storm

The words above Paragon are "trade mark"... nothing exciting alas...

On the second picture it might be S.O. rather than B.O. but havin the real objects on hands I guess you are right on the B part.

Nice find anyway, once restored it will look very nice...

Edited by Gunrunner

Trade mark! Of course...Bingo! I couldnt for the life of me figure that one out, lol. Thanks. You may be right about the S.O. but its really hard to tell.

Anyone have any suggestions about where to research something like this? Perhaps a forum even?

AHHHHH!!! STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING!! DO NOT SAND,,STAIN,,REFINISH OR ANYTHING!!

(sorry, I had to yell, cos I thought I read the word "restored")

go here http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Decals.html

and I believe that is a "3", not an "S"

theres a link, its from a curtiss jenny

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Curtiss_Jenny.html

Edited by gwar

Actually, it is not B.O. or S.O. but S.C. then, according to the link already provided by gwar...

Edited by Gunrunner

this is kinda the same topic, I have a plug that is like a fusible link that came from an electrical panel of a ww2 bomber that crashed in clearlake during an air/boat show maybe 15 years ago, losing all souls aboard. Would anyone here have any info on that or remember it?

GWAR, thank you VERY much for the link; VERY cool! Im jazzed...lol. That picture of the paragon trademark was a nice bit of info; now I know what it says and should look like. Im signing up for their forum too to get more info on the care of this gem.