Sign in to follow this  
F-14AR

Mirage 2000 refueling from a KC-130?

It's true that a Mirage 2000 can refuel from a KC-130? :blink: I have heard it, but I am not sure if it's true or not. :dntknw: I have heard that there are photos too, but I can't find them.I really need a photo to verify it. :wink: .thank you.

yeah, what is the probblem?

Kc-130 has the baskets and Mirage the probe.

The only issue is the receiver being able to go slow enough to refuel with the KC-130. Since the Hornets seem to have no issues with it, I'd say it would be ok for the Mirages. There is also a different basket for high-speed receivers, but the tanker should already be equipped for that based on the Air Tasking Order.

Storm

Being a delta, you'd expect the 2000 to have a higher stall speed than a Hornet. However, it's also FBW so I'd think as long as the 130 is going as fast as it can there shouldn't be a problem. Not like the old days when the USAF still used KB-50s to refuel jets requiring the 50s to go into power dives to keep above the jets' stall speeds! :biggrin:

IIRC one old MIrage IIIBR did a Refueling with Kc-130 in tests....

but our F-5 used to refuel in KC-130 frequently i think the F-5 have a higher stall speed than Mirage but.... never know heheh

Surely the KC130 is flying faster than the stall speed of any aircraft, I can't imagine the mirage has to land at 290 Knots (290ish knots is the cruise speed of a herc)

Not like the old days when the USAF still used KB-50s to refuel jets requiring the 50s to go into power dives to keep above the jets' stall speeds! :biggrin:

We still have to do that for the A-10 and some C-130s. It's called "tobogening".

Storm

I'm surprised they never attached a couple of small jets to the KC-130s for those instances, like they used to do on the others in the past.

I don't know about a KC-130 -- although, as been pointed out, I don't see why not -- but I found these pics of Indian Mirage 2000s being refuelled by an IL-78.

IAF IL-78-Mirage 2000s 1

IAF IL-78-Mirage 2000s 2

(I posted them as links because they're acig.org images and they're pretty strict about copyright).