Hello!

Is it possible to make a copy of some weapons with another name of file?

For examble some weapon: xxx.LOD and xxx.bmp change name for aaa.LOD aaa.bmp - I saw that in LOD file when I opened it with notepad there is the name of bmp file. I change this name to aaa.bmp but this fix doesnt work mean the weapon is not visible in the game.

I want it to make some weapon with different colours mean change bmp file in some photo editor- their RGB or brightnes.

Hello!

Is it possible to make a copy of some weapons with another name of file?

For examble some weapon: xxx.LOD and xxx.bmp change name for aaa.LOD aaa.bmp - I saw that in LOD file when I opened it with notepad there is the name of bmp file. I change this name to aaa.bmp but this fix doesnt work mean the weapon is not visible in the game.

I want it to make some weapon with different colours mean change bmp file in some photo editor- their RGB or brightnes.

Yes, it is possible. Just rename say AIM120.LOD to AIM120.LOD.BAK for example.

Yes, it is possible. Just rename say AIM120.LOD to AIM120.LOD.BAK for example.

And what with *.bmp file -mostly I want to change this file name -mean make new file and I want that *.LOD file can find it

This is really out of my league so my answer can be tottaly wrong but from my experiments I belive the LOD file points to a texture file and that cannot be changed it's probably something writen since it was a MAX file and because you cannot edit lods you cannot change the name of the texture (BMP) file it's pointing to. Exept maybe with an HEX editor... but that's just me gessing.

You cannot edit a .lod file (change its bitmap name association) with a text editor, such as notepad. A hex-editor is required to do this.

Personally, I use HHD's hexeditor 3.0, which is available in a freeware version. I'm sure there are other free hex-editors out there.

HAve the same problem with a Tank I wanted to change, I changed it from F-111_FuelTank.lod to F-111XFuelTank.lod and changed the BMP entry with a Hex editor, created a seperate BMP to match the colour but it doesn`t work...

Just to sum it up:

1. You copy a LOD file to a different name, as far as i know no limits there.

2. You copy the texture file(s) to a different name but do not add any charachters to the name!

3. You open the LOD file with a hex editor and change the pointer to the renamed texture file.

Again do not add characters as this will surely break the LOD file.

4. With weapons editor copy the weapon/Tank and change it's lod pointer to the renamed LOD file.

Example:

Pointer in LOD file:

original texture file: 600L_TankMigxy.bmp

renamed copy: 600L_TankMiGAB.bmp

Number of characters is the same!

Do otherwise by changing the pointer to say: 600L_TankMiGXYZ1.bmp and you break the internal references of the LOD file.

Might it be that this stuff is also to be found in the Knowledge base?

S!

It should be in the KB, but it's probably not.

Like Tannenthal, said LOD names can be any length, within reason. The skin bmp MUST remain with the total amount of characters defined by the original skin bmp.

It's the same principals as creating a new pilot...

you have PilotXX.lod, and you have a new skin for, say with a Playboy bunny. (this, btw is a real case, as such a helmet DOES exist!)

You rename the bmp to "PilotPB.bmp" Not the amount of characters; there are one 7 usable 'slots', as the .bmp MUST remain. So, with your handy dandy Hex editor, you open the LOD and SEARCH for bmp (pilot lods have 3 callouts) and replace each one with the new skin name.

Then you 'save as'... in this case I'm keeping it simple, "PilotPB.LOD". Then, just open the pilot's ini; any can be used, and adjust the pointer for the new lod. Then, again, 'save as' PilotPB.ini. And a new pilot is born...

I've done this for several weapons items, in particular the 'fix' for the Starfighter fuel tanks; you have both silver and Euro-green camo versions. Those are availbe here somewhere in the D/L section.

To repeat: bmp names must match the exact length of the original skin bmp when hex editing the lod

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks guys! I'll try with hex editor and your notice :good: