A frustrating moment working on the X-32. Somehow, a few polys on the fuselage got separated from the rest. I reattach them, but the smoothing is all screwed up. Any suggestions from the modeling gurus?

post-7445-1210646272_thumb.jpg

polyhelp.jpg

1.) Delete faces marked by blue dot.

2.) Attach and weld red dots to the green dots' positions.

3.) Correct the face accordingly using the cut tool and adjusting the new polys accordingly as well.

Edited by serverandenforcer

would you post a pic of the whole plane?! Looks interesting. Is it like the ATF from Janes or the real X-32 from JSF

eraser, have you checked if those polygons belong to the same smoothing group then the adjacent? when you create new faces they're usually not smoothed

Thanks, serverandenforcer's method worked for some of the faces. Unfortunately I noticed one more spot, and the faces near the cockpit are actually 2 different polys. :biggrin:

Different angle showing a new spot, 3 polys affected there.

And two full shots. It's the real boeing JSF, which will come in 3 flavors: 1 CTOL/CV/X-32A, VTOL X-32B and proposed production F-32. The Janes X-32 ASTOVL design is too radically different and would need to be done from scratch. This one is from a model I bought, since the design was just too much for me to model myself from scratch. I'm used to making much easier shapes like tanks, swords, shields or helmets.

post-7445-1210690647_thumb.jpg

post-7445-1210690704_thumb.jpg

post-7445-1210690718_thumb.jpg

Edited by eraser_tr

Don't throw me rocks but the X-32's design was my favourite ! I really love that hybrid manta ray / whale design. Good job eraser_tr !

You want wires?

Edit: oops! darn render settings didn't give me a wireframe view

Going to need help building the ini so I can test fly this thing. My previous attempt at adapting an F2H2 ini for an FH-1 resulted in CTD upon loading.

post-7445-1210727352_thumb.jpg

Edited by eraser_tr

polyhelp2.jpg

1.) delete the face marked by the open blue dot.

2.) you have two options on what you can do from here.

a.) move bottom open red to top open red and then weld.

- attach bottom open green to a corresponding poly that would have been behind of bottom open red.

- use cut tool to creat a new segment where bottom open red would have connected to top open green.

b.) move bottom open green to top open green and then weld.

- attach botom open red to a corresponding poly that would have been in front of bottome open green.

- use cut tool to creat a new segment where bottom open green would have connected to top open red.

For the other one that's two polys, is it two seperate objects? you should still be able to weld the polys together if it's part of the same object. One thing you can try doing is delete the face marked by the blue dot, the under the modifier tab, select "Cap Holes". This might also cap some areas that you might not want capped, but we'll deal with those after you're done with the part that's causing the trouble. Now after you selected Cap Holes, whatever you do, do not select on a new face... I'll explain why later on. Now there should be a new solid piece where you just deleted. There may or may not be a segement connecting the top two polys for that face. If there isn't, then select (use the drag select technique... as if you are selecting all the polys) both polys and then on the Edit Polys tab, click on attach. This should now connect the two polys (you still might have to use the Smooth Modifier for that area). Now, click back on to selectable faces. This should highlight any face that was created when you clicked on Cap Holes. Delete those faces (except for the one that you wanted to create).

EDIT: darn JPEG compression. Made my image all blurry.

Edited by serverandenforcer

Thanks, but there's no need now, I should have mentioned a little playing around with your technique got those faces too :smile:

the wireframe version looks exceptionally crappy. Now off to find an old tutorial that had a nice method for getting the sliding canopy the way it should be...