Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Westland Wyvern available?

I think it's probably me! I have an FSX Wyvern that's 90% complete ( i.e the VC isn't finished) and using the exporter it works in WOI too looks like this

WyvernS4.jpg

It's currently number 1 on my list of things to finish so hopefully this year!

and using the exporter it works in WOI too looks like this

...how nonchalant Skippy !

Bleedin' amazing is how it looks!

That's a direct port of the FSX model????

Basically yes. The model is in 3D Studio so it's just a case of using the FSX exporter to make the FSX version and the Third Wire exporter to make a WOI/WOE/WOV/SF version. You do have to play around with the animations as they're handled differently, and there are more texture options for FSX (bump mapping, reflection maps etc.) but it's not beyond the wit of man.

WOW!! Amazing one man, hope to see it this year :D

SkippyBing: any news on the Stringbag???

Have some nice hangar/loading screens for that, just looking for a home.... :wink:

1_swordfish_hangar.jpg

(along with the Wyvern, too)

Wrench

kevin stein

Modelling was temporarily delayed while I played with my new R/C helicopter, fortunately I've now broken that so until the parts turn up I've been working on the Wyvern cockpit. Messing about with the Stringbag tomorrow!

Wyvern Cockpit in FSX, shouldn't take long to port it over to WoI once it's finished

WyvernCockpit.jpg

Swordfish Cockpit in WOE

StringbagCockpit.jpg

Swordfish external, must sort out the hardpoints!

Stringbag.jpg

post-4923-1222204910_thumb.jpg

Latest look at the Wyvern in game. I've got all the animations working now, shadows and the latest version of the cockpit. Oh and the propellers spin round as well which is nice. A bit more optimisation on that and then it's a case of sorting the ini files.

Everything hanging out.

post-4923-1222205452_thumb.jpg

WOW!! Looking forward to this one mate!! Very nice job on it congratulations!!

Nice looking bird there. May make me start flying Post War era...

Very cool plane why did it not last in the fleet air arm was it to costly to maintain or was it the jets were coming on line quick. I believe it only lasted 1 or 2 deployments w/HM fleet.

Edited by MAKO69

Very cool plane why did it not last in the fleet air arm was it to costly to maintain or was it the jets were coming on line quick.

To be honest, it just wasn't that good! They were originally bought to fulfil a NATO commitment to have two Torpedo Fighter squadrons, as this was deemed a suicidal idea against post WW2 weapons systems it became a strike fighter, however despite being massive it could only lift 30% more bombs than a Sea Fury and carry them 50 miles further. Unfortunately once it'd dropped it's bombs it wasn't a particularly good fighter either, in fact the Pilot's Notes say it's not cleared for aerobatics and it's turning radius was about twice that of a Seafire/Fury!

Oh and if the engine didn't try and kill you the prop pitch control unit had a nasty habit of breaking so that the aft blades would go fully fine and block any airflow to the control surfaces.

Fortunately by the time of the Suez Conflict there was enough experience of the type to operate it effectively. You're probably at least partly right with the jets angle (the RN happily operating terrible aircraft for long periods of time), it was effectively replaced by the Scimitar which could definitely move more faster further!

To be honest, it just wasn't that good! They were originally bought to fulfil a NATO commitment to have two Torpedo Fighter squadrons, as this was deemed a suicidal idea against post WW2 weapons systems it became a strike fighter, however despite being massive it could only lift 30% more bombs than a Sea Fury and carry them 50 miles further. Unfortunately once it'd dropped it's bombs it wasn't a particularly good fighter either, in fact the Pilot's Notes say it's not cleared for aerobatics and it's turning radius was about twice that of a Seafire/Fury!

Oh and if the engine didn't try and kill you the prop pitch control unit had a nasty habit of breaking so that the aft blades would go fully fine and block any airflow to the control surfaces.

Fortunately by the time of the Suez Conflict there was enough experience of the type to operate it effectively. You're probably at least partly right with the jets angle (the RN happily operating terrible aircraft for long periods of time), it was effectively replaced by the Scimitar which could definitely move more faster further!

The reason why I ask this is because the US Navy loved the A-1 Skyraider so much they began a turboprop variant which if not for political B.S. may have actually made it to frontline service.

Edited by MAKO69

I think a lot of the problems with the Wyvern were engine related, the original Rolls-Royce Eagle engine was supposed to be very good. Unfortunately RR decided they wanted to get into the jet game so only built 20 odd Eagles which wasn't really enough!

I think if they'd been able to stick with the Eagle more effort could have been expended on sorting out the rest of the airframe.

That TurboProp A-1 looks rather neat!

Edited by SkippyBing

The reason why I ask this is because the US Navy loved the A-1 Skyraider so much they began a turboprop variant which if not for political B.S. may have actually made it to frontline service.

Actually what killed the Skyshark wasn't political B.S. rather the engine they had slated to use with it. That was the Allison T-40 engine program. The Allision T-40 wasn't a very successful turboprop engine and it has some very nasty habits. They were used in the R3Y Tradewind amphibian and series of crashes related to the high failure rate of the engine, including one that killed about hundred midshipmen returning from summer cruises in 1954 or 55. The Navy killed the engine program. The T-40 was also supposed to be used in the XFV-1, XFY-1, XF84H, P5Y Patrol plane, X-18.