Sign in to follow this  
Corktip_14

A-1E over Vietnam, Part II

A-1E over Vietnam, Part II

Well at least, here's the second A-1E skin pack, depicting early birds used in 1964 and 1965. Those Skyraiders were painted in overall VNAF grey.

My apologies to all of you, especially to MPPD and NFG for the long delay before the release of the birds.

Skins by Corktip 14, decals and historical background by MPPD.

Cedric, you're alive!!! Glad these skins finally saw the light of day! PM me and we'll start another project together...

Mike D.

No appologies needed Cedric!

Absolutely first class.

Big big thanks to you and Mike once again.

Splendid! One of my all time heros Bernie Fisher ( http://skyraider.org/skyassn/fisher/fishermoh.htm ) gets wingmen. "VNAF grey" ? Hmm? I bet dollars to donuts a bunch of AD-5 / AD-5N drivers and crews of the late 50s would be surprised to hear that. No Flamage, and as always,5 stars, and a night heckler please.Thanks gobs Cedric! :ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Hey Charlie, thanks a lot! Indeed, the birds were VNAF grey. Nothing to do with the USN grey/white livery, even if the shade of grey is pretty close. And thanks to Mike for this info!

I may look at the AD-5 now!

Roger that - the A-1Es were refurbished and repainted at NAS Quonset Point, Rhode Island to USAF specs - which included the "COIN" grey - same shade as OV-10, O-1, O-2, and all of the ADC interceptors of course but in gloss finish. NOT the Navy off-shade grey with white undersides. The Air Force Museum got it wrong with the grey/white scheme with Bernie Fisher's bird. Check photos showing the wing pylons - they are grey not white. Interesting that the serial numbers are USN-spec numbers though.

Mike D.

I stand corrected then. No kidding? I thought they where just gull grey USN AD-5s with the Navy modex and markings painted over and US Air Force and later Republic of Vietnam Air Force stuff painted on. My misperception was probably reinforced by the stock Bernie Fisher skin that comes with the ride. There was probably alot of resentment in the US Air Force with all the Navy designs they had to use, so I can see them painting thier A-1Es a differnt grey. Good thing I'm just the picky poster and not one of the crack super skinners painting my 3 favorite airplanes. I've been a SPAD freek since the mid 60s when I saw one on final approach to our local NAS. I'm Stoked that the guys painting my ride know more about painting my ride then I do. Every body can acquire knowledge but not every body can be the expert. That and Its funner to be the student then the teacher. Thanks Cedric and Mike. Good thing I lost my A-1E and T-28D model in a move. I painted them both Gull Grey. I'll paint my next project COIN grey instead of Gull Grey. :ph34r: CL

Edited by charlielima

Charlie,

I'm no expert, but would be glad to stand corrected by anyone who is! I'm constantly posting comments in readme files that if anyone can provide more accurate info, just mail me or post to the forum! Forgot the T-28s - bet these were COIN grey in USAF. The ones that went to VNAF must have been Navy gull grey and white too, just like the VNAF's first A-1Hs. No COIN grey there.

Interesting that it seems that the early F-4Cs were painted Navy gull grey at St. louis before delivery to USAF units not COIN/ADC grey. Wore these colors until camo first introduced in November 1965 or so. ADC grey did not appear until the 80s.

Mike

Hey, did Nicky_Flygirl get a copy of these? Kind of miss those kind words and hearts and such...

Mike D.

No appologies needed Cedric!

Absolutely first class.

Big big thanks to you and Mike once again.

:biggrin:

Ooh sorry, I missed it. Too busy downloading the last version for myself!

Glad you all enjoyed the markings,

Mike

Ah. Hmm. But. Does this mean that the Republic of Vietnam got thier A-1Es before the US Air Force did? That doesn't sound wrong because I think we were making ground attack T-28s for the French for service in Algeria and French Indochina before we made T-28Ds for ourselves. :ph34r: CL

Okay Gruppe. pop quiz.

Is this:

A. Gull Grey

B. ADC Grey

C. Sandy Grey

D. COIN Grey

E. SEA Grey

Edited by charlielima

Answers: Yes, VNAF was using the A-1E/H before the USAF was - deliveries were by the end of 1962 from US Navy stocks - USAF at Hurlbert Fld received A-1Es in 1963. VNAF actually transferred some A-1Gs to the Bien Hoa unit. Initial VNAF training was by US Navy personnel in the RVN.

The color of VNAF T-28s, A-1H and A-1E/G aircraft was US Navy gull grey and usually with white undersides. The USAF specified the COIN grey (ADC grey) but in a flat color I think, not glossy. At any rate, in those days the old gloss lacquer based paint turned flat and chalky after sitting in the sun for a while anyway.

Mike D.

Thanks again Cedric and Mike. I think I'm squared away on the grey paints, planes and history. I can't wait for your next stuff. I'm going to beat it before my evil mind comes up with a pop quiz for the greys in the Corktip_14 avatar. :ph34r: CL