Sign in to follow this  
Dave

80's Music/Movies Etc

As some of you know I am an 80's music fanatic, in fact I love everything about the 80's (expect the hair). Having grown up though I have a reference for it. Anyway, if there are others like me, what years of the 80's music do you think was the best? I am leaning toward 84 to 86. Thoughts?

Yeah, Dave, just like me.

I love the 80s too.

just made a big catch @ ebay last week.

i´ve searched over years for the song Fire & Ice from Marietta.

13436591.jpg

Last week i bought the 12" Vinyl for 1€ @ ebay.

i have no special time period, i like songs from 1980 to 1989... :biggrin:

Edited by Soulfreak

I spend my primary with Jackson's casette in my box. Billie Jean it would be.

Movies?

Aliens,Brazil, Indy, Aliens again and again

(I could watch them 'til nice hangover, as Lt. Gorman would say)

Must admit I can't relate to the 80's at all in a musical sense, although I don't mind the odd tune from Duran Duran when I hear it. I suppose the very late 80's weren't bad, with the arrival of Metallica and an embyonic Nirvana taking shape. Filmwise, there are some real gems in there. Some of of my fav's are The Killing Fields, Das Boot, Terminator, Top Gun (did I really say that?...for the aerial footage).

As for 80's fashions, my God! what were they thinking! All that big big hair and shoulder pads, stripey tops and a lot of spandex. :biggrin:

As some of you know I am an 80's music fanatic, in fact I love everything about the 80's (expect the hair). Having grown up though I have a reference for it. Anyway, if there are others like me, what years of the 80's music do you think was the best? I am leaning toward 84 to 86. Thoughts?

I graduated from high school in 1988, so I'd extend your time period just a few more years (84-88). The 80's had something for everyone and some of the best tunes EVER written.

As for 80's fashions, my God! what were they thinking! All that big big hair and shoulder pads, stripey tops and a lot of spandex. :biggrin:

The thing is Nicky is that its coming back. I mean serious, I was in the mall yesterday and it was like I stepped back in time. Weird.

81-83, Musically. By the mid-1980's, many groups were simply producing work, with the sole intention of it becoming MTV fodder.

just made a big catch @ ebay last week.

i´ve searched over years for the song Fire & Ice from Marietta.

[...]

Last week i bought the 12" Vinyl for 1€ @ ebay.

i have no special time period, i like songs from 1980 to 1989... :biggrin:

Well, apparently the cover justifies the price... :biggrin: The 80s that I like seem to be something completely different: Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Rites Of Spring, Black Flag, Gorilla Biscuits, Sick Of It All.

The thing is Nicky is that its coming back. I mean serious, I was in the mall yesterday and it was like I stepped back in time. Weird.

I know !

That's what's scaring me :blink:

Now late 60's & early 70's fashions were great, I luv that hippy look, but I'd rather not look like a bananarama-kajagoogoo-yazoo hybrid !

They say all fashions come back round again. Can't wait for the 1930' & 40's to show...some of that stuff looked way cool to me.

Well, apparently the cover justifies the price... :biggrin: The 80s that I like seem to be something completely different: Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Rites Of Spring, Black Flag, Gorilla Biscuits, Sick Of It All.

Those I put into another category. But were a big part of my life too. I have well rounded music tastes and from the 80's, all depends on my mood.

# The 80s that I like seem to be something completely different: Anthrax, Slayer, Metallica, Beastie Boys, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Rites Of Spring, Black Flag, Gorilla Biscuits, Sick Of It All.

I was thinking the same when I realised Pretty Hate Machine was released in '89.

Mind you I've just spent four hours in the bar with people who were born in '89 and have an un-enviable knowledge of '90s boy bands so I figure humanity is pretty much screwed!

Oh yeah, Ferris Buellers Day Off and Combat Rock by The Clash

I grew up in the 80,s I used to blast flock of seagulls before my football games just to annoy the rest of my team.A little part odf me died when the 80's ended I think the early 90's had to be the worst time as far as music and fasion are concerned,man what was with all that faggy/dirty flannel and nappy skuzzy hair,whining about how bad thier white middleclass lives were.LOLas for movies I have to say Better off Dead is still one of my all time favorites.Also Gallipoli and heartbreak ridge are on my top list too.

From the radio, 1979-1987 is the source of over half of my 700 CD collection.

I start in 1979 because that is when I really started paying attention to songs and recording favorites to cassettes directly from the radio.

Some of the music from that time frame transcends the period

Pat Benatar consistently produced great music until she had a kid.

Her early songs like Heart Breaker and Hit Me With Your Best Shot were powerful.

Love Is a Battlefield, Shadows of the Night, and We Belong were a bit softer but made somewhat entertaining videos.

Invincible was a return to the power of the early songs.

I can't name a single song she made after that.

Blondie made some great songs and came back with a few more in the late 90's!

Heart of Glass and Call Me are two of my all-time favorite songs, but there isn't a song I don't like on her greatest hits.

Pink Floyd preceeds this period, but is my favorite music of all time and definitely released plenty of material in this time frame.

One of their greatest albums, The Wall, was released in 1979.

Another Brick in the Wall Pt2 still gets tremendous air time on just about any station that plays any kind of rock along with Comfortably Numb, Hey You, and Run Like Hell.

In my opinion, The Final Cut is every bit as good as the wall, but it never really made it mainstream... not quite top 40 pop music... very serious, powerful, introspective work.

Momentary Lapse of Reason was more of a pop album with great concept MTV videos: Learning to Fly, Dogs of War, One Slip, and On the Turning Away.

As much as I like Pink Floyd, there is one artist that really dominated before, during, and after the period we are discussing.

I must say, if I like anyone more than Pink Floyd, it is Tom Petty.

I won't even bother to list all his great songs... too many.

My favorite from the MTV videos is You Got Lucky with its sad post apocalyptic Mad Max theme (the Mad Max movies are a great part of the 80's too!).

My favorite album is Southern Accents.

While his career was much shorter than Pink Floyd or Tom Petty, Billy Idol was an MTV icon: a mix of powerful songs and soft rock ballads.

White Wedding, Dancing with Myself, Eyes without a Face, Sweet 16, Rebel Yell, Rock the Cradle of Love.

There is a song on one of his albums that never made it to the radio or MTV, but became one of my favorite all-time songs the moment I heard it: The Dead Next Door http://www.last.fm/music/Billy+Idol/_/The+Dead+Next+Door

I can't mention the above artists without mentioning Peter Gabriel.

Like Pink Floyd and Tom Petty, I have almost every major album he released from his first to the present.

His female equivalent deserves special mention: Kate Bush

A lot of her music sounds very bizzarre, but she had some great songs and Hounds of Love was a great album.

I love Running Up That Hill.

MTV produced lots of 1-hit wonders, too.

Wall of Voodoo's Mexcian Radio (Stan Ridgeway went solo and produced some excellent folk songs, most notably Camouflage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFYxCIr-Byo)

Planet P's Why me

I could go on and on until I name half my CDs.

If someone thinks all the 80s were about has big hair and David Lee Roth in spandex, then they missed some of the greatest pop music that has ever been released.

My car is a 1980 Corvette.

My shoes are Nike Cortez which have been around since 1972, but I started wearing them in 1980.

I am not completely stuck in the 80s, but it is where my heart lies.

My music CD collection covers a vast range of music, but if you plot a bell curve of songs versus release dates (and I have), there is a huge spike from 1979 to 1987 with 1983 being the single biggest year in the entire collection.

I love everything about the 80s. Even though I was never part of it, it fascinates me.

Musically, any year that included Journey or Queen is great.

WarGames was a fantastic movie.

Ahh the 80's so many memories of the times and People ;) I liked the 81-86 music the most some of my favorite bands made albums then. 1981 First Concert Van Halen I think it was the first time I also got a Contact even tho I did NOT use!! Do NOT remember much about the Concert cept it was loud and Bright Lights!!

I also like Iron Maiden and they had there best albums those years. Number of the Beast Piece of Mind. Ahh those we're the days Heck even MTV Played them on Regular Hours Early 80's. That was the 1st time I heaqrd of Metal and Iron Maiden Video "Iron Maiden" Live Video was like WTH was that but I liked it instantly!!

Ahh I could go on & on!!

Streak

I know how you feel. That is how I am. The 80s were the best times I have. I can say I am kind of stuck in that time. With a few exceptions 90s music sucked goat nuts. I any of you get a chance you have to go to Rocklahoma. You can 80s geek out on rock of the era.

Ive still got my dads wrangler corduroys which he had when I was born(1984).

I wear them now. People laugh because its a skin fit but what the hell?

Oh yeah it was about music and movies- well Alannah Miles for Black Velvet and Pink Cadillac with Mr Eastwood and all the Chuck Norris movies

And William Deihl is one of my favourite authors.His best books were from the Eighties

Edited by Stick

Being born in '82 i cant say much about it except that i missed it! Wishing i was born a little earlier.

Being born in '82 i cant say much about it except that i missed it! Wishing i was born a little earlier.
Don't worry, I'm from '74 and I think the same :)

I feel that the true eighties ended somewhere around 1987. I blame Stock Aitken and Waterman for that. If they ever did any good to humanity, it was to drive young music enthusiasts to nostalgia and explore music from earlier days. By 1990, the year I was allowed to go out, we were already having 70's/80's parties.

Some of my personal highlights:

Music

The Jam (probably better known for their 70's punk, they also made a few perfect pop songs, e.g. Town Called Malice)

David Bowie (One of the few artists who not only changes with time, but also changes the times. Respect! Blue Jean, China Girl, Absolute Beginners and let's not forget Tin Machine)

and of course this :biggrin:

TV

Battlestar Galactica

Frank Buck

Shogun

CHiPs

Movie

I wish I could mention Spinal Tap, Pale Rider, The Untouchables... but I'm afraid I was more into Karate Kid at the time :blush:

I remember thinking at the end of 1985 (was about 9 at the time) that there was no way that they could follow that year with any better music - but then again that was based on the pop charts - what did I know then!

I do have loads of 80s greatest hits and love loads of music from it - some of it legend - some it just makes me embarresed to put it on here!

The Jam, Police, Bon Jovi, Madness, Duran Duran, Level 42, UB40, Guns n Roses, Madonna, Queen, U2, Hewy Lewis, The Smiths, Style Council, Stone Roses, Pet Shop Boys (LOL), Beautiful South, Kylie Minogue :)

At the time the 80s was amazing - a real get away from the embarassing lame fashion of the 70s where everything seemed to be brown - had loads of film blockbusters with great sound tracks including Back to the future/Ghostbusters/ Indiana Jones/ Star Wars (5/6) / TG - and of course Liverpool dominated the footy!

Think it was a great decade for pop culture anyway!

I remember thinking at the end of 1985 (was about 9 at the time) that there was no way that they could follow that year with any better music - but then again that was based on the pop charts - what did I know then!

I do have loads of 80s greatest hits and love loads of music from it - some of it legend - some it just makes me embarresed to put it on here!

The Jam, Police, Bon Jovi, Madness, Duran Duran, Level 42, UB40, Guns n Roses, Madonna, Queen, U2, Hewy Lewis, The Smiths, Style Council, Stone Roses, Pet Shop Boys (LOL), Beautiful South, Kylie Minogue :)

At the time the 80s was amazing - a real get away from the embarassing lame fashion of the 70s where everything seemed to be brown - had loads of film blockbusters with great sound tracks including Back to the future/Ghostbusters/ Indiana Jones/ Star Wars (5/6) / TG - and of course Liverpool dominated the footy!

Think it was a great decade for pop culture anyway!

My family spent a good deal of the summer of 1985 on vacation at Hampton Beach, NH. I distinctly remember hearing the Tears For Fears album "Songs From the Big Chair" EVERYWHERE that summer. It was also the first summer that girls didn't have cooties, so now I can't hear the song "Shout" without thinking of sun, sand, and two girls named Kelly and Vicky that my friend and I met and hung with for the summer. Ahh, good times, good times!!!

Streak

I know how you feel. That is how I am. The 80s were the best times I have. I can say I am kind of stuck in that time. With a few exceptions 90s music sucked goat nuts. I any of you get a chance you have to go to Rocklahoma. You can 80s geek out on rock of the era.

I didn't realise how much I missed the 80's until I bought a bunch of "Rock of the 80's" compilations a few years ago. There were so many songs that I had forgotten about, and each one brought back such great and powerful memories that it was like getting hit with a sledge hammer. They were defintily some of the best times I've ever had as well.