Sign in to follow this  
toonces

The best WOV experience

Hi all.

I've been an on again/off again player of WOV and SFG for a few years. Most recently I played much of a WOV campaign using the Aces of North Vietnam mod.

I've played some of several campaigns in stock WOV a few times from the US side, but I always seem to stop mid-way in for some reason. For example, I started one campaign flying the A-6 but got so turned off from the lack of any bombing modes that I couldn't stick with it.

I certainly appreciate the 'lite' aspect of this series, and I can accept that there will be considerable realism trade-offs. Having said that, in coming from Falcon 4, I can't get enjoyment from taking up an F-16 or something in this series...the 'lite-ness' of the sim just doesn't work for me in that type of jet.

So, my question is: what do you recommend in the WOV series as the best tradeoff between realism and immersion? What plane and campaign within WOV will offer me the best experience? I've seen the thread about what mods are best for WOV, but 'all of them' is just a bit too much for someone with none of them...is there any must haves?

Finally, I'm aware of the YAP series...I'm not interested in that route right now.

Thanks alot for your help and advice.

Toonces

Was gonna say YAP probably

Try the F-4B in 1965 - perhaps add a terrain and green hell trees - and find a way to make the AAA more lethal - that should keep you on your toes.

and turn all options to 'Hard' try the Haiphong missions or downtown hanoi the MANY SAM sites will make it 'intresting

Edited by Viper6

Hi all.

I've been an on again/off again player of WOV and SFG for a few years. Most recently I played much of a WOV campaign using the Aces of North Vietnam mod.

I've played some of several campaigns in stock WOV a few times from the US side, but I always seem to stop mid-way in for some reason. For example, I started one campaign flying the A-6 but got so turned off from the lack of any bombing modes that I couldn't stick with it.

I certainly appreciate the 'lite' aspect of this series, and I can accept that there will be considerable realism trade-offs. Having said that, in coming from Falcon 4, I can't get enjoyment from taking up an F-16 or something in this series...the 'lite-ness' of the sim just doesn't work for me in that type of jet.

So, my question is: what do you recommend in the WOV series as the best tradeoff between realism and immersion? What plane and campaign within WOV will offer me the best experience? I've seen the thread about what mods are best for WOV, but 'all of them' is just a bit too much for someone with none of them...is there any must haves?

Finally, I'm aware of the YAP series...I'm not interested in that route right now.

Toonces

Check out this thread. http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=22873

Download the steel tiger campaign linked there, and add the targets.ini and types.ini to your vietnamSEA terrain folder (don't neccissarily install the entire campiagn, unless you want to). Then also make sure to add the Green Hell mod for the vietnam terrain. By doing these simple tasks you've accomplished the following:

1. Trees galore. You are really flying over a jungle now.

2. By adding the targets and types .ini's, there are now targets all over vietnam, not just north of the DMZ and up around Hanoi. You'll get strike missions where you're tasked to take out artillery or trucks or enemy positions. This really breaks up the monotony of the stock campaign missions (strikes on bridges and warehouses over and over again).

I did this just recently, and fired up an A-6 LBI campaign this morning. The first mission I was tasked to take out some trucks (like a "suspected truck" park in flight of the intruder) somewhere in South Vietnam. The mission took place at night, and once I got to the target area, the jungle below me (thanks to the green hell mod) lit up with flashes and tracer fire. Quite an exciting and immersive experience, especially compared to the stock campiagns.

Also in that thread, are modified rolling thunder and Linebacker I campaign_data.ini's. Drop these into the campaign folder, and you'll now have a ground war which will generate CAS missions similar to WOE campaigns.

So, anyway, I'd give those a try.

I'd say YAP too. Just love those "lazy" red tracer effects !

But I also have a set up similar to Malibu above...different terrain.

It's all about mind set. I tend to get overly involved if I really think about it...but I love WoV.

Just immerse yourself, settings to hard. Use no red targetting aids...woah boy the ride of your life, low and slow at dusk or night. Heaven.

Hi all.

Toonces

Yap is your best bet, spend the money and the time to install... its worth it. Also once you fully mod out your game the lite sim factor goes away in many respects.