Sign in to follow this  
PIGHUNTA69

Question about Vista

Hello all, i was thinking about getting a new computer, and it comes with Windows Vista. I know that i read somewhere around here that people have trouble playing their games in Vista? Right now i have XP, if i get the computer should i be worried about my TW games?

Most people seem to be running it okay it seems - there are quite a few different versions of Vista also so whether anyone has problem with 1 or the other Ive no idea

The larger part of PC games out there now (at least newer than 2000) tend to work with Windows Vista, especially if you've installed SP1. The only real issue I've had with SP1, on the other hand, is that my computer no longer recovers from sleep properly. In theory they'll fix this soon; but as aforementioned, the compatibility mode(s) should be what you need, and that's assuming it doesn't work outright.

If you want your full system power in games and programs. Go for XP Pro but if you want all the eye candy and features from Vista then go for it. I

have XP Pro and saving a copy of Vista for the future once all of the games and etc. goes for Vista. Your choice mate!

If you want your full system power in games and programs. Go for XP Pro but if you want all the eye candy and features from Vista then go for it.

Well said. It's also worth noting that in all versions of Windows Vista you can turn off Aero or Vista Basic interfaces to use "Windows Classic", e.g. the original 1995 look of Windows. Less glass and visual effects = more CPU, RAM and video power that can go towards gaming.

And if you have plenty of hard drive space, doing a dual boot is a good move. You keep your XP and everything working and you have the future compatability of vista. It's what I'll eventually have to do. I love and play too many old games and have older versions of photoshop and 3dsmax that presumably won't work in vista, and I'm not risking losing all my old stuff to find out.

You will need to do some light modding to your TW games to get them to work with Vista. It's in the Knowledge Base I believe, else it's in some threads.

Yeah, as far as I know, Thirdwire out-and-out states on the webpage for First Eagles that "[the] game will not work with Windows Vista".

I'm not really certain about the other ones.

There is a pretty comprehensive list of general software and games' compatibility with RTM Vista (unsure about the new OEMs and SP1, though) at this link. The problem with that list, however, is that it lists only "mainstream" games and applications, not the type of things flight simulators fall into a category with.

I have Vista on my laptop...it beyond sucks...went TDY and for whatever reason Vista decided that my wireless drivers were no longer cool and ditched them...no changes, no tweaks, no reason...it just didnt want them...looked on forums from a public Internet connection and several people had the exact same problem...Vista is a regression, period...Bill apparently needed more money since he bought half of Africa...

Advice: stick with XP as long as you can

The problem I had is that my computer was manufactured after Vista had been out for a few months; after a complete system death I installed XP, but the issue was now that HP didn't offer XP drivers, and the manufacturers of the components would just point me back to HP. I ended up just trying to install whatever drivers would work, but it often glitched out even the most graphically and audially simple of games. I've gone back to Vista, just trying to get by until they fix everything that needs it.

I've had no problems with Vista so far, but I only do light gaming.

Really, my only gripe was the lack of support that Microsoft gave for installing SP1. Apparently, I am in the minority with SigmaTel audio drivers that "aren't compatible" with SP1... Dell gave me old drivers from June 2007, while Microsoft told me to install the newest version of the drivers...

I eventually had to go hunt down the "new" drivers, ironically, at Dell's site under an XP system's driver download page.

If you're considering getting Vista, go with a lot of RAM... even with two GB (which is getting outdated even now) and a pretty decent video card, I normally don't go above around 50 FPS in TW's games.

One thing worth noting about Vista is that it includes DX10, which AFAIK, isn't going to be supported in XP any time soon, if at all. Of course, most game makers are just ditching DX10 and staying with 9, so it was a blunder on Microsoft's part.

I believe Microsoft is planning to drop a version of DX10 into Windows XP sometime in the future; no expected release date.

However, you are right in saying that most developers are sticking with 9 - it's a lot like when the PS3 came out: sure, it had a lot of awesome features and could do many incredible things, but the problem was, the ability to program for it didn't catch on as quickly as Sony tried to sell the devices.

XP for me. Dreading Vista on a new desktop PC (only as far as TW sims concerned though) although it will have to happen at some point.

Have Vista on my Laptop and that's staying TW sim-free. Far too much faffing about for my liking.