Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

Expansion Pack - "Check Six" View?

I have just installed the FE Expansion Pack, and have found that the old "Check Six" view (Sh-F5) no longer seems to be available. Does anyone know of a key or combination giving a quick look directly behind the aeroplane?

On a wider note, while the expansion pack plus downloaded improved models plus selected tweaks have helped overcome my previous annoyance, targetted planes' habit of shedding major portions of airframe after only a couple of hits, I do still have a major problem with the available views. I feel like I am flying with Tunnel Vision, and as they say "lose the sight, lose the fight"!

Is there any way (short of shelling out $$$ for TrackIR) to improve FE's view system to give the same kind of situational awareness as offered by RB3D, EAW or IL2?

Thanks

Mike

Both views work for me. F5 is still the old "over the shoulder" thats really a view from behind the plane. The new "rear" view I have mapped to a joystick button. I may have remapped the views from the stock version...I don't recall. When you install the EP or the patch you will need to remap your buttons.

As far as the view system, IIRC its still pretty much like EAW. Snap views mapped to the hat switch, UP and DOWN mapped to two joystick buttons, padlock, etc. Another trick you can do if you don't like the "fixed" rear view is open up each aircraft's cockpit.ini and change the Min and Max Yaw= values to 179 and -179 respectively. Then when you hit your right rear and left rear snap views you can see behind you and snap back to the front without having to hit F1 on the keyboard. :wink:

ps...I have the Apr. 08 patch installed. I think the fixed rear view may have been added with it. Still, IMHO, increasing the yaw angles in the cockpit.ini is a bit more "realistic". Its a bit of work extracting and changing the cockpit.inis but its worth it, I think.

Thanks Tailspin,

You gave me the clue I needed. I had installed the Expansion Pack _after_ the Apr 08 update. I just reinstalled the latter update, and lo and behold I got the Check Six view back. Not only that, on my quick test flight (SE5a's vs Alb DV's), not only did I survive for the first time, I actually got a couple of Albatri - my first FE victories.

I think FE may be about to start growing on me.

Mike

Both views work for me. F5 is still the old "over the shoulder" thats really a view from behind the plane. The new "rear" view I have mapped to a joystick button. I may have remapped the views from the stock version...I don't recall. When you install the EP or the patch you will need to remap your buttons.

As far as the view system, IIRC its still pretty much like EAW. Snap views mapped to the hat switch, UP and DOWN mapped to two joystick buttons, padlock, etc. Another trick you can do if you don't like the "fixed" rear view is open up each aircraft's cockpit.ini and change the Min and Max Yaw= values to 179 and -179 respectively. Then when you hit your right rear and left rear snap views you can see behind you and snap back to the front without having to hit F1 on the keyboard. :wink:

If I change the cockpit yaw values, will that give me the ability to look all the way back on both sides with TrackIR4? Sounds like it would... I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

Guitar...not sure about TrackIR but it may work. Those yaw values are what is limiting the rearward visual arc of the snap views.

Guitar...not sure about TrackIR but it may work. Those yaw values are what is limiting the rearward visual arc of the snap views.

Thanks... I hope to get a chance to try it out later tonight... will let you know if it works.

Thanks... I hope to get a chance to try it out later tonight... will let you know if it works.

Tailspin,

I changed the cockpit yaw values as you suggested on the Sopwith Pup and I can now see almost to (but not quite) the stabilizer from either direction. While I'd really like to see the stabilizer, it is at least an improvement.

Edited by guitarclassic55

Hmmmm....try +/- 180 on one to see if that helps. My stick is broken (lost some buttons including both rear angles on the hat) so I can't test it....besides I'm not sure which view system Track IR uses.