Sign in to follow this  
DoctorQuest

Andromeda Strain

I just don't know what to think about this one.....

I am a huge fan of the book and the first movie and was very interested to see what they would do with this.

I can't say I was impressed. Certainly they did a good job updating the techology of the Wildfire facility and it did help the story to see more of what Peidmont went through but the wormhole and conspiracy theory stuff went outside the lines IMHO.

I have not poked around much but I really wonder what Michael Crichton thought of it.

Anyone else see it?

Only saw the first half so far...it's okay. I think if you didn't know about the book or the first movie it would leave a better impression.

However, I have to wait until the next week to see the rest...

FastCargo

I don't understand such the huge deviation from the origonal story line. I can understand some things to freshin up the plot, but I think they went overboard. The first half I thought was great. The second half I started to loose intrest. Oh well Big fan of the Origonal movie and the book. I read years ago, I think I"ll have to break it out and blow the dust off and read it again.

Agreed, but I will wait to say more until FC has a chance to catch up. I did not mean to be a spoiler by any means :wink:

Watched all 4 hours and I can actually say I was impressed. I'm dissapointed that they didn't stay closer to the plot line of the original movie, and honestly, I've never read the actual book....so my thoughts are limited to new vs. old movie.

I believe that the wormhole things and sending messages back from the future was a little stupid and could have been left out, but it didn't distract me from the movie of today. I do believe that they should have canned that part and stuck to the original more concerning the nature of the Andromeda Strain.

Overall, if you haven't seen the original, or read the book.....you will still enjoy this version of the movie.

Fates

Yes, they changed the plot from "alien" to more "future human", but the difference there is slight.

Really, the only BS moments I had were the CG F-16 (it just never looked right) and the very end with the space station. Sorry, that is NOT a secure facility! There are always Russian nationals on board and a regular parade of others from various countries.

It's been years since I watched the original, but I'll do that again soon. I'll admit the ending wasn't as good as I would've liked, but the first 3 hours I thought were fine.

OK. I'll admit I am probably being way to much of a purist. I certainly watched until the end but I don't think I'll buy the DVD.

And anytime a major network (other than sci-fi, of course) takes on a science fiction story it should be celebrated.

No, I won't buy the DVD either. I've got a ton of DVDs of stuff I'll watch again before I see that again. However, it was worth the time to see it once.

I saw the original movie first in my high school English class and later on a rental VHS, I also read the book in the Navy. I was always impressed with how much story was told with so little on screen, the last ten minutes climbing up that ladder were intense. Therefore how is it that with all the updates, big budget effects and such did it not hold me and my short attention span any longer than 5 minutes?.......

Because it was BORING, the dialog that I listened to was tedious and seemed forced. I switched off after a total of three minutes. Lets just say that another part of my misspent youth has been violated.

It had some serious holes in the story.

The black woman(forgot her name) was in the lab part that got contaminated and it was eating away at her suit.....but she didn't die?

And if the future version of andromeida came from the space station, and the space station sample came from the future, how the **** did it come into existance in the first place?

It had some serious holes in the story.

The black woman(forgot her name) was in the lab part that got contaminated and it was eating away at her suit.....but she didn't die?

And if the future version of andromeida came from the space station, and the space station sample came from the future, how the **** did it come into existance in the first place?

In the original she survived. The Doc with the de-arm key had her cut away his isolation suit in order to gain access to the central core. No one in the Wildfire facility died.

I still think finding the bodies in various states of suicide was the creepiest part of the whole film because what you were given a glimpse and your mind filled in the rest. I remember everyone in class writing what they imagined should have been the next shot after finding the old man, each version was creepy and each was different. The mind is wonderful, too bad film makers lost that part of their craft.

Hi

Sorry I am not getting your point, I can't see. And I can't understand which book & movie you mention above.

sharu

Rhode Island Treatment Centers

Andromeda Strain, as the title of the thread mentions.